Compensated saddles

tlsmack

Tele-Afflicted
I have Glendale brass comp saddles and a Glendale bridge. Very solid, and intonate very well. I can slam big chords anywhere on the neck with confidence since I installed this setup. When I bought them, about 10 years ago, the saddles and bridge were on sale as a combo for around $100 or so. I am a very satisfied customer!!!

Frisco 57

Tele-Holic
I got these from an eBay seller (Forney Custom) who I believe mills them himself. They work great and I really like the clean look!

IMG_4458 (2).jpg

Kmaxbrady

Tele-Holic
Fender makes compensated brass saddles and they’re like $15. But feel free to waste your money on overpriced saddles from Callaham.
When it comes to affordable saddles and other hardware the priorities in the design are:
1. Cheap
2. Quick and Easy to make
And there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s great that there are good products at every price point. The difference in the high end stuff is that good design is prioritized over cost to manufacture. The law of diminishing returns levels off pretty low with this stuff. But the cost difference between something that works just fine, and something a little nicer is only about $25-30

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
When it comes to affordable saddles and other hardware the priorities in the design are:
1. Cheap
2. Quick and Easy to make
And there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s great that there are good products at every price point. The difference in the high end stuff is that good design is prioritized over cost to manufacture. The law of diminishing returns levels off pretty low with this stuff. But the cost difference between something that works just fine, and something a little nicer is only about $25-30
I've had Callaham and Glendale brass saddles in the past. They do absolutely nothing better than the $15 Fender compensated brass saddles other than leave your wallet a little lighter. But nobody who got scammed buying them is going to come onto a guitar forum and say they don't hear a difference. There's an obvious direct correlation between how much money you spend on saddles and how much of a difference you (think) you're hearing. The more you spend, the more of a difference (improvement) you'll swear you hear.

If players were as critical to their playing as they are about things like saddles, their tone would change dramatically; way more than plunking down $50+ for some boutique saddles thinking that's gonna solve all their tone problems and open the door and get them to that next level.

Last edited:

Kmaxbrady

Tele-Holic
I've had Callaham and Glendale brass saddles in the past. They do absolutely nothing better than the $15 Fender compensated brass saddles other than leave your wallet a little lighter. But nobody who got scammed buying them is going to come onto a guitar forum and say they don't hear a difference. There's an obvious direct correlation between how much money you spend on saddles and how much of a difference you (think) you're hearing. The more you spend, the more of a difference (improvement) you'll swear you hear.

If players were as critical to their playing as they are about things like saddles, they're tone would change dramatically; way more than plunking down $50 for some boutique saddles thinking that's gonna solve all their tone problems and open the door and get them to that next level!
Wanna try some Bensonites? I’ll cover your return shipping if you don’t like them.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

If players were as critical to their playing as they are about things like saddles, they're tone would change dramatically; way more than plunking down $50 for some boutique saddles thinking that's gonna solve all their tone problems and open the door and get them to that next level!
Wanna try some Bensonites? I’ll cover your return shipping if you don’t like them.
I'll repeat what I said earlier here......if you like the way the Bensonites look, I promise you'll like the way they sound and feel. ;)
(and no, I'm NOT on the payroll)

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Are there any adjustable saddles for a three saddle bridge?
Yes? All of them?
If you meant adjustable like a 6 barrel, Fender Hotrod bridge kind of does, but costs Luke $90. When the lady at the parts store told me the price, I decided intonation was overrated.....
;)

Gotoh in-tune are what I landed on for my 3 barrel bridge. That guitar came with junk pot metal 6 barrel vintage style. It was nearly unplayable. Upgraded to fender steel ones, it was ok, but not good enough to keep given I bought the guitar to gig with in the current band.
Switched the bridge to a Wilkinson one with the side walls not there. Got the Gotohs instead of using the Wilkinson brass compensated. The difference in heft and feel would have convinced me, but being intonated right as rain on 3 barrels sealed the deal.
I've got modern 6 saddle on 2 teles (steel blocks on mim and powder cast blocks on US) the gotohs have it intonated as good as my duosonic with its 6 be t steel saddles on a hardtail strat bridge, but the shape of the 3 barrel makes it comfortable like the powder cast blocks.

I see no need for the fender hotrod bridge. You can actually buy the g&l 6 barrel brass bridge for less iirc. I'm not a fan of vintage 6 barrels after this year's adventures, but that'd be the one I'd say is the best of its ilk. Obviously, you can also buy the Wilkinson and gotoh stuff for less as well.

I'd only drop money on Callaham if it was for a Bigsby tele and I was going all out anyway.

Kmaxbrady

Tele-Holic
Appreciate the offer, but I ahve no need for them. My guitars intonate just fine with the Fender compensated brass saddles. If it ain't broke...new saddles aren't going to make me play any better.
No they definitely won’t make you play better. Might make you want to play more often though. I think I just came up with a new slogan…
I agree, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Unless you’re like me, I tinker with things whether they need it or not. It’s a sickness but it’s fun.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
One solution to your slightly off compensated saddles is to split the difference. If E is sharp when B is in tune, try compensating the B slightly flat and the E less sharp. Both will be slightly out, but by splitting the difference, it will be less noticeable.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
No they definitely won’t make you play better. Might make you want to play more often though. I think I just came up with a new slogan…
I agree, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Unless you’re like me, I tinker with things whether they need it or not. It’s a sickness but it’s fun.
I never want to play less!

My guitars are set up great and play great. I went through phases over the years of chasing tone and thinking this set of pickups or that set of saddles would be the key that unlocks my playing, but years ago realized that the only thing that will make me a better player is to just focus on the stuff you suck at and practice. Only thing swapping out parts (including saddles) will do is lighten your wallet and you'll still suck. I just assembled a very expensive Partscaster and used the same Fender compensated brass saddles on it because there's nothing wrong with them. Put the money into the neck and body.

Part of the classic Tele tone comes from the saddles and bridge plate. Mess with that and you're altering the tone. That's fine if you're going for a different sound, but not if you want an old school, classic sound. It's the same as throwing a Badass bridge on a P-bass. You're altering the classic sound of a P-bass by doing that.

Spending extra on boutique saddles is like buying expensive caps for the valve stems that are on your car's tires. (Hey, I think I just came up with a new slogan!)

Last edited:

Kmaxbrady

Tele-Holic
I never want to play less!

My guitars are set up great and play great. I went through phases over the years of chasing tone and thinking this set of pickups or that set of saddles would be the key that unlocks my playing, but years ago realized that the only thing that will make me a better player is to just focus on the stuff you suck at and practice. Only thing swapping out parts (including saddles) will do is lighten your wallet and you'll still suck. I just assembled a very expensive Partscaster and used the same Fender compensated brass saddles on it because there's nothing wrong with them. Put the money into the neck and body.

Part of the classic Tele tone comes from the saddles and bridge plate. Mess with that and you're altering the tone. That's fine if you're going for a different sound, but not if you want an old school, classic sound. It's the same as throwing a Badass bridge on a P-bass. You're altering the classic sound of a P-bass by doing that.

Spending extra on boutique saddles is like buying expensive caps for the valve stems that are on your car's tires. (Hey, I think I just came up with a new slogan!)
That would be pretty good advice for someone who wants to become a really accomplished player. And it’s true, gear doesn’t make you a better player. But isn’t there more to the hobby than just playing the guitar? Some guys (like me) enjoy working on guitars as much as they like playing. Some love to design and mod and build. Some guys are just collectors and hardly play. Some guys just like to chat about gear online. Who can say that any approach is better than another? I mean thank goodness Leo Fender spent all his time tinkering instead of practicing. Ya know what I mean?

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
That would be pretty good advice for someone who wants to become a really accomplished player. And it’s true, gear doesn’t make you a better player. But isn’t there more to the hobby than just playing the guitar? Some guys (like me) enjoy working on guitars as much as they like playing. Some love to design and mod and build. Some guys are just collectors and hardly play. Some guys just like to chat about gear online. Who can say that any approach is better than another? I mean thank goodness Leo Fender spent all his time tinkering instead of practicing. Ya know what I mean?
Of course I know what you mean. However, you can't deny that there a ton of people on forums (just like this one) that WANT to be a half-decent player but instead take the easy route and spend more time modding and throwing down their credit card and are lying to themselves believing that doing stuff like that is going to make them a better player, when in reality the gear they have is more than adequate and they just need to buckle down and practice more. It takes no real effort or sacrifice to throw down some money for a new piece of gear, a new pickguard, new pickups, new saddles, or even a new guitar, but it elicits (an albeit temporary) endorphin rush. But later on you have to be honest with yourself, because none of that is going to make you a better player no matter how much you try to rationalize and convince yourself. And I'd dare to say, why would someone even consider swapping something like saddles if they didn't believe it would help them be a better player, or are they just swapping parts for the fun of it and simply don't care about actually learning to play the thing?!

I'm sure if given the option of being a better player or a tinkerer most would choose to be a better player, but when the rubber meets the road don't want to put in the effort, so instead they spend their time buying aftermarket saddles.

Last edited:

Kmaxbrady

Tele-Holic
Of course I know what you mean. However, you can't deny that there a ton of people on forums (just liek this one) that WANT to be a half-decent player but instead take the easy route and spend more time modding and throwing down their credit card and are lying to themselves believing that doing stuff like that is going to make them a better player, when in reality the gear they have is more than adequate and they just need to buckle down and practice more. It takes no real effort or sacrifice to throw down some money for a new piece of gear, a new pickguard, new pickups, new saddles, or even a new guitar, but it elicits (an albeit temporary) endorphin rush. But later on you have to be honest with yourself, because none of that is going to make you a better player no matter how much you try to rationalize and convince yourself. And I'd dare to say, why would someone even consider swapping something like saddles if they didn't believe it would help them be a better player, or are they just swapping parts for the fun of it and simply don't care about actually learning to play the thing?!

I'm sure if given the option of being a better player or a tinkerer most would choose to be a better player, but when the rubber meets the road don't want to put in the effort, so instead they spend their time buying aftermarket saddles.
I got a steering wheel cover a few days ago. It looks cool and feels really nice. Wouldn’t it be a little odd if someone saw it and told me it won’t make me a better driver?

I don’t believe there are that many players who actually think that swapping out hardware is going to make them a better guitarist. I interact with hundreds of players regularly and can’t think of a single one.

When it comes to saddles, most of the time guys just want to improve their intonation, or make their guitar look different, or feel a little better. What’s wrong with that?

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
I got a steering wheel cover a few days ago. It looks cool and feels really nice. Wouldn’t it be a little odd if someone saw it and told me it won’t make me a better driver?

I don’t believe there are that many players who actually think that swapping out hardware is going to make them a better guitarist. I interact with hundreds of players regularly and can’t think of a single one.

When it comes to saddles, most of the time guys just want to improve their intonation, or make their guitar look different, or feel a little better. What’s wrong with that?
Again, nothing wrong with it if it makes you believe whatever it is you're trying to accomplish. But believing and what is actually happening can in many cases be very differnt. Plus, you sell those saddles so why wouldn't you attempt to come up with reasons why people should buy the product? I have never had issues with intonation any of my Teles with Fender brass sales, and in many cases any issues encountered are pretty easy to remedy without buying a new set of boutique saddles, but the internet will tell you otherwise. Just like wood breathing, SG neck dive and rosewood vs. maple necks, boutique saddles fall into the over-exagreration that Internet forums created, alerting you of supposed problems with your guitars that t you never even knew existed pre-internet.

There's nothing inferior about your average Fender brass compensated saddles or the material they are made of and they just work evidenced by the countless Teles that have been used by professionals in the past and continue to use to this day. Just because something costs more doesn't automatically mean it is "better", or that something that costs less is inferior. I'd rather take that money saved and put it toward something else that actually matters and makes a difference to me. But you're a salesman, so your job is to convince me otherwise that I need to buy something that has never even been an issue for my guitars. I get it. It's a solution to a problem that has never existed for me in the past, or a more expensive solution that I have already found a much less expensive solution for.

Last edited: