Compensated saddles or 6 saddle bridge for Squier CV tele?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Titebond, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Titebond

Titebond TDPRI Member

I'm having a lot of intonation issues with the stock saddles. I was thinking about getting some Wilkinson compensated saddles off Amazon but someone suggested I look into getting a 6 saddle bridge. Which ones are direct drop ins without having to drill? Also, if I decided to get the compensated saddles would I just put em in or do they need to be filed or anything?

2. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

Compensated saddles work fine for me, no need to change the whole bridge. I use mainly brass ones for my liking, Wilkinson works fine!

3. Titebond

Titebond TDPRI Member

Did the Wilkinson's fit without any issues? Any issues with string breakage?

4. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

All fine so far. I also use Gotoh swivel saddles on another guitar, Suhr's choice for intonating Teles, and they also work very wel. For being sure, double check your measurements on string spacing and scree mounting wholes.

5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

GreatDaneRock, Sax-son and Maguchi like this.
  6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

They'll fit without any modifications, but I bought a new Wilkinson bridge last year, and the edges on the saddles were a bit sharper than those on older Wilkinson saddles. I don't know whether they would have broken strings, but I didn't want to take that chance so I smoothed them with sandpaper before installing the bridge.

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I have Teles with each, compensated saddles and 6 saddle. The main brand compensated saddles like Wilkinson can intonate very well if you want the traditional look. I think with a Tele the style just fits.

8. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Odd, I have 3 CV50 Teles and have had no issues getting near perfect intonation every time. If I were to swap saddles, I would go with Rutters….

https://ruttersguitars.com/saddles

I use his brass straight comp saddles.

9A0099EC-52F3-4F32-9D2D-D90D9C53BB76.jpeg

9. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Yeah the Gotoh 6 saddle is my favorite too. They sound great. And you can get a more exacting setup and intonation with the 6 intonation screws instead of 3 and 12 string height adjustment screws instead of 6. I've never heard any difference in tone between these and the 3 saddle or 3 saddle compensated bridges. IMHO 3 saddles is if you care about the bridge looking traditional and your right hand covers the bridge when you're playing anyway.

6saddleTeleBridge.jpg TeleBridgeAlign.jpg TeleBridgeAlign2.jpg

10. fuzz guy

fuzz guy Tele-Meister

I prefer as few moving parts as I can get on a bridge. Less places for string vibration to be lost. Both Teles I've owned had the Wilkinson compensated bridge and it worked great, and half as many screws springs and saddles.

Twotelecasters and Fretting out like this.
  11. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you want to keep the vintage/classic look, and arguably the twang, I highly recommend Gotoh compensated saddles. They are notched to keep string spacing consistent. Yes, you can notch Wilkinsons, but the Gotohs spare you that task and have a little extra heft, I think. And they look very nice. You shouldn't have to make any modifications for these.

But if you want precise intonation, nothing beats the Fender six-saddle modern bridge. When you're shopping, make sure that bridge is compatible with your existing holes with regard to mounting screws. As long as it is, it's an easy operation.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    PeterUK, Maguchi and bls82261 like this.
  12. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I recently put a Gotoh modern bridge/saddles on my CV Thinline with Wilde Microcoils. A drop-in install; dead-on intonation and no tone compromise IMHO.

13. Chipss36

Chipss36 Tele-Holic

I also use rutters…

my intonation to begin with was close enough, now it’s spot on.

14. Titebond

Titebond TDPRI Member

What saddles are those?

15. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Honestly, you need to try them. I had the chrome barrel saddles on my CV esquire and changed them to brass compensated ones.

Admittedly, the compensated ones, in my opinion, make the guitar sound less 'Tele like' and more smooth/musical. If you like jangly country riffs, you may be better without compensated.

I ended up reverting it to stock as I preferred the slight imperfection of the non-compensated barrels.

The compensated ones sounded amazing, and much warmer, but I loved the original non-compensated chrome saddle sound slightly more. The bell-like quality of the brass ones was a nice touch however.

But that's just my take.

bls82261 likes this.
  16. Titebond

Titebond TDPRI Member

Are the Fender ones the ones that are going for about $20 on eBay and Reverb? They seemed to be made in Taiwan. Other people have suggested Gotoh or Kluson but those are going for at least $50.

17. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I have no need for compensated or six saddles , but :

The Gotoh 6 saddle version , is a real classic and just works. Only drawback is that it is kind of heavy.
    The offset machined saddles like Rutters are works of art. Those would be my choice.

The slanted ones often look like something the apprentice did on his lunchbreak ,- on a bad day , IMO !

Different sounds from different materials , are only detectable by people with Bat Hearing , IMO.

Im old enough to have Bad Hearing , I have never heard a difference with the band -at gig volume level.....ever !

18. bls82261

bls82261 Tele-Meister

19. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

If the originals were the 3 barrel type, there aren’t any 6 saddle types that will fit that bridgeplate, but a complete Gotoh or Fender MIM Standard bridge, meaning the plate and it’s 6-block-shaped-saddle saddles, should drop in with no mods.

If putting 3 compensated saddles where you removed 3 stock non-compensated barrels on the original plate, they shouldn’t need to be filed.

You can make either 3- or 6-saddle bridges work acceptably well. Choose either of which is readily available and that you like.

20. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've never had an issue with stock saddles of any type. Equal temperament has plenty of slop. I just don't care for perfection.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.