1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Compensated saddles for Telecaster Baja 50s

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by milcs, Jul 2, 2015.

1. milcs

milcs TDPRI Member

Well, given I live in Europe and its kind of more difficult for me to get things over here, I will have to settle on the Fender compensated brass saddles. In any case, looking at it in an optimistic manner... It's from a Greek seller, and they need all the help they can afford at the moment! :)

Thank you all for your replies!

2. yardleyboy

yardleyboy Tele-Meister

Wilkinson in Europe - excellent

3. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

They have created quality compensated saddles but only install them on a few guitars.. Early Hot Rods and some Custom Shop models came with Danny Gatton type angled compensated saddles.. Same saddles retail for less than $20. Newer Hot Rods and guitars with the new RSD bridge come with adjustable compensated saddles.

4. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

The high tech intonatable saddles are Fender part number 0091093000.
    They just don't seem to be out in the wild.
    A complete Hot Rod bridge is €99 at Thomann in Germany which, IMHO, is excessive considering Guitar Parts Resource in the US charge $79.99.

Attached Files:

5. mg426

mg426 Tele-Holic

Wilkinson...!

6. xtrajerry

Still cheap compared to some aftermarket stuff.. If money is tight a pat pending bridge with comp saddles is less than $40.

7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on Wilkinson I have the toploader/thru loader compensated on a partscaster. Work perfectly. Inexpensive. Sound good. what more?

8. TeleRooo

TeleRooo Tele-Meister

9. xtrajerry

I prefer slants to the wilkinson enhanced saddles but that's just a personal preference to the way they look. I'm not saying they are inferior just saying I like the look of the slants. I have the same top loader bridge and saddles that i want to try on a Standard and who knows after I try them out I may decide they look fine.. ;)

10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Speaking of top loader, on one of my Teles with Rutters saddles, I have a Rutters Dual Loader vintage style stamped bridge. Top loading can give a new feel to an old Tele. Very cool.

11. xtrajerry

The wilki is a dual loader too.. I'd like to see how much a diff it makes..

12. moosie

I strung my PV58 that way (thinking Campilongo). It's subtle, but I have no inclination to put it back to normal. It gives my '58 a bit more of it's own identity. The feel is a bit 'rubbery', to me.

13. Plan9

Plan9 Tele-Meister

Just took a stab - Amazon (.de) has the fender intonatable saddles for about 35 euros; I found those to be effective on my Baja.

Fender American Vintage Telecaster® Compensated Bridge Saddles: Amazon.de: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/2168gWK6%[email protected]@[email protected]@2168gWK6%2BZL

14. xtrajerry

Funny I was thinking campy as well.. Would love to get my hands on one of his sig guitars.. Otherwise I see what Dan can whip up.

15. moosie

Besides my 6120, that's the only orange guitar I find attractive. In a heartbeat.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, I think FMIC's decision to make these available is bad news for the "boutique" guys because they really do most and sometimes all the real expensive "jewelry" ones do. Even more, since they're not aggressively faceted or canted, meaning less compensation, this is actually what the player (or particular guitar) sometimes needs.

I mean, if I had a Baja and a set of these Fender slants and also some eccentric slotted ones from Marc Rutters, 95% probability the Rutters would be the ones that stayed on there. But the point is the next guy may like the Fender ones and they're so accessible for folks in faraway places.

17. milcs

milcs TDPRI Member

Howdy!!!

Allow me to deviate a bit the discussion about the different saddles... to a more specific technical question.
    I have ended up ordering the Fender branded vintage compensated brass saddles. They look quite similar to the original saddles (with the only difference being that they are not straight when screwed to the bridge). Anyway... my question is: How do I know which saddle goes where? Is there an order for the different strings?

Cheers

18. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

19. milcs

milcs TDPRI Member

So... I was set to change the saddles on my Telecaster Baja, removed the original saddles and opened the "factory packaged" bag from Fender (that I bought from a dude on ebay). I spent a few minutes screwing and unscrewing the saddles, until I realized there was something odd.

Have a look at the photo... Am I crazy, or there should be two saddles "angled up" and only one "angled down"?

Help...

Attached Files:

20. moosie

I think you're right. The two outside saddles should be slanted the same direction. These seem to confirm it, even though they're not in proper order:

https://reverb.com/item/364839-callaham-slant-compensated-tele-saddles-brass-set-of-3

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.