1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Compensated Saddles-Brass, Aluminum & Steel?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by PJ55, Oct 29, 2011.

1. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I need a set of saddles, so I thought I'd give these new-design compensated saddles a try. I'm familiar with brass & steel, in general - but Aluminum? If I'm putting these in a Richards-type neck-humbucker Tele, what does the group think the best material to go with is? These saddles are pretty beefy from a material standpoint, so I'm not sure if steel is too bright or not. Aluminum seems like it would be more subdued. Do I have this right?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. Telegraff

Telegraff TDPRI Member

Glendale site has a good discription about the metals.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

For that application, I would go all brass.

Check the old Taipantone site for some suggestions on the tonal differences of some metals.

4. Steamroller

Steamroller Tele-Meister

I think Aluminium is brighter than Steel and has more harmonics. I think you must choose the saddles depending on what you want and how sound the guitar now.

Somebody here recommended me the Glendale Bakersfield Twang Set because my tele hadn't enough harmonics and the lows were poor. I'm very satisified with this set, but I never would put the same set in a Nocaster.

Take a look here :
    http://www.glendaleguitars.com/saddles.htm

5. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

What about the compensated saddle design choices: slanted vs the newer style, which is straight across, but compensation done by cutting some of the saddle away (Callaham calls this the Enhanced version)? They say this new design eliminates the sliding of strings, like on the slanted ones, which I've noticed, and disliked.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.