1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Compensated Brass Tele Saddles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ryantr1nh, Jun 17, 2020.

1. ryantr1nh

ryantr1nh TDPRI Member

2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

They'll all do the job. Don't see much difference.

3. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

Gotoh. Have the Gotoh nickel with brass compensated saddles on my Partcaster. Superb bridge.

I’ve played many guitars with the Wilkinson saddles. They do a job. Don’t have the quality feel and look of the Gotoh but It’s whatever suits your wallet I suppose.

4. Pontiaddict

Pontiaddict TDPRI Member

I prefer saddles with a string bezel/channel, in this case the Gotoh.

5. ryantr1nh

ryantr1nh TDPRI Member

Are they installed differently to other compensated saddles/saddles in general?

6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

#3 just looks like a more expensive copy of the Wilkinson design. :confused:

I've used Wilkinson saddles and I have no complaints, but I like the design of the Gotoh saddles better because they set the string spacing for you.

Pontiaddict likes this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I've used Wilkinsons for many years in my shop; they are affordable and high quality.

I use nut files to make little grooves in the saddles once I determine the string spacing, in a similar manner to setting up a Tune-o-matic bridge with ungrooved saddles on a Gibson. That ensures the strings are always in their correct locations following a string change.

#3 are the same as used on Wilkinson bridges. It states so in the listing: "These saddles are found on Wilkinson Telecaster Bridges."

8. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have the Gotoh compensated.

9-42. Does ok,
    but I'm going to their six saddle bridge to get true intonation.

9. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Well, technically it'll be truer intonation.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]
    I recommend these, from Darren Riley. $ 20.

They're only mildly slant compensated - the 3 you show have a significant amount of compensation and for my purposes, it trends towards being too much;

They use the same brass as the the AV52 and frankly, many FCS models. And the same Imperial 6-32 hardware. At least one of the 3 choices you show, use metric fasteners and a lighter gauge spring that will not interchange with saddles with 6-32;

These are much IMO harder to spot on a working guitar - they can pass for stock, straight saddles, depending upon lighting and how close the observer is.

I think the Wilkinsons could be the very ugliest 3 barrel type saddle, out there. I've had some; I end up re-installing them on cheapo guitars I then give away.

11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Out of those...Gotoh. I would also give Philadelphia Luthier Supply saddles a look. You can also buy them individually and mix and match them.

12. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

You should check out Rutters. They are the best IMO.

Rowdyman, Irondog and Thinline casket like this.
  13. Thinline casket

Thinline casket Tele-Meister

Rutters are $50. They have a groove instead of a "step." They are extremely high quality, and you can order directly from the website instead of paying Amazon their percentage.

I believe he's also a member here. Amazon is not. :D

14. Brian blaut

Brian blaut Friend of Leo's

every tele I own (4)has Marc Rutters saddles in it. I'm sure the others are fine. Nothing against them - but I KNOW Rutters are great.

Rowdyman, boris bubbanov and rstaaf like this.
  15. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I will second, oops third Rutter's, have Marc's saddles on several of my Teles.

I have tried a lot of aftermarket saddles over the years and these are my goto.

0000046_rutters-brass-straight-comp-saddles_550.jpeg

16. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Overall the Gotoh as having benefits beyond the excellent intonation properties.
    However for the price and characteristics you get with it the Wilkerson is a deal.
    The Performance looks to be the same source as Wilkinson. I would stick with
    Wilkinson if choosing between as know theirs are very accurate.

17. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

Gotoh.

The Wilkinsons are less expensive, but I’ve had brand new strings break during gigs with Wilkinsons.

18. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Try bensonite. Very cool. just got some and love them!

935973D8-0975-428F-BD07-CB10742B2750.jpeg

Kmaxbrady likes this.
  19. wildOGpizza

wildOGpizza TDPRI Member

I just switched from factory steel saddles to Gotoh. I got them because I wanted brass saddles and figured compensated would be good. A few things I'm not happy about... first was being Japanese, they are metric which seems wrong on an guitar that's all mia - no biggie, just my ocd. Then, with a 7.25" radius neck, to get the action in spec the height adjustment screws on the very top and bottom (high and low E) are out all the way. like no tension on them and are sticking out quite a bit. The saddles are quite chunky compared to what I had and they're totally bottoming out on the bridge plate. Also, Im using Stringjoy strings with a wound 3rd and I believe some of the other strings are a little different thickness than normal 10's, and intonation is actually worse than the non compensated ones. I'm going to change the bridge to a 6 saddle Kluson.

20. Irondog

Irondog Tele-Meister

I 22nd the Rutter's

I have too much money and time. I purchased 4 different sets of compensated saddles. Not on purpose.
    Only because each 1 didn't perform perfectly.

I tried the Glendale's brass. It surprised me how much I did not like the slanted look. Even though I was planning on not really caring about it. I gave them a B+ they seemed slightly more difficult to actually intonate. Than the original fender.
    Then I tried the groovy 60s same thing they were slanted and looked funny and the strings were actually somewhat difficult to get the spacing correct. B- but I definitely loved the steel tone.
    Then I tried the Wilkinson with the edge. I thought they did not sustain as well. But reasonable. B
    I was going to purchase the gotoh brass groove. But decided that I wanted cold rolled steel they only had titanium and brass... No steel.

I had titanium on my Les Paul it's pretty good but I just didn't think it would fit with the telecaster tone I was after.

So I bought the Rutter's 1/4" cold rolled steel A+
    something about the fit and finish .... The sustain and the crisp beautiful attack. Did I mention sustain. I couldn't really believe how quickly I was able to intonate the guitar. 4 minutes intonated.

I have a feeling the gotoh brass would be a very close 2nd place.

The nice thing is you have multiple choices and most of them are pretty good... and if you don't like it you can try again. Easy Peasy and fun!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.