1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Compensated" 3 Saddle Brass Bridge Problems..Intonation Possible?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by zanesaddiction, Dec 4, 2012.

1. zanesaddiction

zanesaddiction Tele-Meister

My novice ears could hardly tell a difference in tone when I switched to this bridge from a 6 saddle type. Very soon after the grooves started appearing.
    [​IMG]

This is what my saddles lined up to after intonation was set up as close as possible. The middle one definitely seems like it shouldn't be further beck than the low e and a saddle.
    [​IMG]

Should I abandon this system or try those compensated nuts I heard about?
    What sort of problem will these grooves cause? Seems like they will be prone to "kinks" and cause tuning issues.

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It looks like the middle saddle is on backwards

3. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Yes, the middle one is backwards.

4. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Apparently not................

[​IMG]

Although the bridge could be moved back a little ;)

5. zanesaddiction

it is possible that I mixed them all up whenever I took it apart. How can I be sure the right ones are on the correct strings? It's a little difficult to tell from the picture which ones are which.

6. walleyeman

walleyeman Tele-Holic

I wouldn't worry about the grooves. Have you seen vintage threaded saddles?

7. dbickford

dbickford Tele-Afflicted

Saddles ok. Scale length should be close to 25.5''. If that's true then your bridge should be moved back some

8. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Um, if you flip the saddle around, it'll still be in the same orientation :lol:

The saddles are on correctly.

9. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

:lol:, at least I was trying to be kind :D

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Zane, all three saddles are in their correct spots, you just have the D-G saddle screwed way way too far down. It should be equidistant between the two outboard saddles.

Btw, the center saddle is odd out, the two outboard ones are clones of one another.

You appear to have relicked the heck out of that bridgeplate. Did you apply something to the saddles, that could have softened them more than they already are? The brass on these cheapo Wilky Sung Il is I think real high in lead. And soft. You could go to a tougher brass, such as the Stew Mac # 5167 or if you wanna spend more, go to Bill Callaham's. His saddles are btw dedicated to each respective location. The Stew Mac # 5167s are totally interchangeable and can be flipped; reused on the other side.

11. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

that's what happens when I post before my morning coffee kicks in :lol:

12. zanesaddiction

Yea , I had some fun with muratic acid relicing. The grooves appeared almost instantly after installation and before I reliced anything. And I did try putting the d and g saddle where it should be (right inbetween the outer two).

What do you mean by "the center saddle is odd out"?

13. justin72deluxe

justin72deluxe Tele-Meister

From the last picrure in the o.p. Switch the middle to the right, and the right saddle to the middle. I mixed mine up too the first time. Its esay to do. Mine now looks correct and intoneates pretty well, considering they are never perfect.

14. dbickford

dbickford Tele-Afflicted

Wrong. Check the pic of the "relic" Wilkinson bridge compared to the pic of the new Wilkinson. Saddles are proper! Something else is the problem.

15. Terminal Twang

Terminal Twang TDPRI Member

I have a comment, but not about intonation.
    It looks like the bridge plate was notched for a b & g bender at one time? Is the wear from bender use in a previous life?
    I know that the "sharper angle" of compensated saddles wear fast when using a bender.
    I can also say that I've had to move my b string out of the worn groove before because it sounded dead; especially when bending the string (with the fret hand). Must be some burrs or something interfere after they wear a bit. Not sure, but an audible difference.

16. zanesaddiction

True. But, all the saddles are notched , not just the a, g, and b where the bender is.

I'll probably try the Callaham brass or steel. They recommend stainless steel for benders.

17. justin72deluxe

justin72deluxe Tele-Meister

You are correct. I was going off my unreliable memory, but i had mixed my saddles before.
    I agree he should check the scale length from the e saddle. Bridge placement could be off.

18. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I think the middle saddle needs to be turned around.

It does have a "handedness."

19. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

The Wilkinson Saddles are made so that the height adjusting screws will be perpendicular to the bridge plate when they are correctly oriented, You will notice the middle bridge's set screws are kicked forward on yours, thus an angle occurs as they meet the bridge plate…. that makes the G string just about lay flat across the machined part of the saddle...

Or. . . Steve is right . . . flip the booger around an fuggidaboutit…

Ron Kinr

20. zanesaddiction

I measured the saddles. The high E and b are at 25 1/2 ' . The low e , a are just about there. So, thankfully I (thankfully) won't need to be moving any bridges anywhere. I would be very surprised if the bridge placement was off. Both the neck and body are warmoth. (build thread) http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-hom...e-build-all-opinions-welcome.html#post4625763

I am curious about Ronkirn's observation..." You will notice the middle bridge's set screws are kicked forward on yours, thus an angle occurs as they meet the bridge plate…. that makes the G string just about lay flat across the machined part of the saddle..."

I can't see what he's describing exactly. But, he sounds convincing.
    But, I'm gonna try to "flip the booger around an fuggidaboutit" as he said.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.