1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Comparing Roadworn Telecasters: 2009 vs 2018

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jjmmuir, Mar 3, 2020.

1. jjmmuir

jjmmuir TDPRI Member

Hi everyone, I posted a similar question on the gear page but realise this would be the best place to ask.

I am trying to find out what, if any, differences they are between the early MIM roadworn teles (09/10) and the recent ones in the last couple of years.

I know that the first few years of the MIM roadworn teles had much heavier relic'ing, but apart from that, are they considered much the same? It's hard to find comparative specs.

All the recent models I've played have been great — so if I was to buy a earlier 09' model unseen, would I be in for any surprises?

Thanks for any feedback

Jeremy

2. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Played one when they first came out - not for me.

Played a new one in 2016 - superb.

If it was me, I'd buy the later RW. Not just for the minimal relicing.

jjmmuir and RichCuellarPDX like this.
  3. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

I recently bought one of the newer RW Teles. I remember playing one when they first came out and I wasn't impressed. I can't really sat why but I really like the RW Tele that I have.

Fendereedo and jjmmuir like this.
  4. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

I bought one of the limited purple ones that came out last year and it has a 7.25" fretboard radius. I think the older ones had a flatter radius. Not sure about any other differences.

jjmmuir likes this.
  5. sotob

sotob Tele-Holic

I have a RW neck that is from about 2016. Neck is fine. It started to show some wear spots after about 1.5 years. The original necks have a very smooth back that I loved, but they went overboard with the wear spots on those earlier models. Overall, fine guitars.

Fendereedo and jjmmuir like this.
  6. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

No, I have a 2010 and it has the7.25” radius. Live that guitar! It’s my #1. I did mid it by swapping out the bridge pup for a SD Broadcaster pup and compensated brass saddles. Sound and plays like a dream!

RiverDog and jjmmuir like this.
  7. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Yeah, the RW only ever came with a 7.25" radius (alas!) and jumbo frets.

I'm a BIG fan of the SD Broadcaster bridge pickup. I used to adorn EVERY MIM 50s Classic I bought with that pickup!

ADK Teleman and Fendereedo like this.
  8. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I had one of the later RW Strat's, was my favourite when I loved Strat's. Light years better than the earlier ones, which I didn't take to at all, and the wear was way more subtle in the later ones, same as the Tele's.

9. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

When they first came out GC had tons of them on the floor and they were set up BAD they had fret sprout and two of the ones I picked up had the pickups so low the neck ones were almost even with the pick guard. They were very light however and I liked the fact that you could buy one and not worry. Kind of a Set It And Forget It guitar.

Gary

10. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

Gotcha. I course swear I've seen RW teles with a larger radius.

I did the same exact mods to move mine.

ADK Teleman likes this.
  11. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

My 2016 RW 50s Tele has medium jumbo frets.

12. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

There were FSR runs of Roadworns that did have a 9.5 radius, but as far as I know, all of the standard production models were all 7 1/4”.

RiverDog likes this.
  13. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

I think the pickups might have changed. My view of the Road Worn series has definitely changed. When they first came out, I was like, "No way!" Why would someone want a beat up guitar? I saw one in my local GC and picked it up. Didn't have time to plug it in but was wowed with the extremely light weight resonate body and the feel of the neck.

Fast forward a couple years. I had a chance to pick one up (early model). Loved the fact that I didn't have to be so anxious not to scratch the guitar. My sons really liked that fact too. Unfortunately, I wasn't too impressed with the sound so it didn't last very long in the stable.

A few years go by and I'm bitten by the RW bug again. I got a newer one (minor relic compared to early ones). This one sounds very different than the first one. Not as bright or thin (brittle) as the first one.

Here is a picture of an early one that my friend plays. I don't think he changed anything on it. tele_princeton.jpg

horax, baiff and blues like this.
  14. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

I have one of the poo-brown ("Copper") FSRs that preceded the purple one and it has a 9.5" radius fretboard. Are you sure the Barneycaster has 7.25"? I thought all the FSR versions came with the 9.5 radius.

15. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

Fingerboard [Link]
    • Material: Maple
    • Radius: 7.25 in.
    • Fret size: Narrow jumbo
    • Number of frets: 21
    • Inlays: Dot
    • Nut width/material 1.65 in. (42 mm) Synthetic Bone

16. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

Fixed

17. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

My FSR Candy Apple Red 50's RW has similar specs.

Fingerboard Material: Maple
    Fingerboard Radius: 7.25" (184.1 mm)
    Number of Frets: 21
    Fret Size: Narrow Tall
    Nut Material: Synthetic Bone
    Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)

18. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I played one when the first came out. I thought the relic job was a little to over the top. But the one I played was pretty good.

What I remember the most the neck was bigger. Pretty fat. Maybe a U or a D shape. The color was more white than the one in your picture. Pickups were different than the Tex Mex. If I remeber the bridge pup was a flat pole with the white rope wrapping.

I have a 2019. It is the guitar in my avatar. I really like it. But when it was new the nut was cut poorly. The frets needed some work. I had to replace the nut.

I was not impressed with all of that. But I thought it would be pretty good once the nut and frets were taken care of.

I thought the original Tex Mex bridge was ok and had some balls.

Now I really dig it. I did put on some compensated brass saddles. I also put in a Budz danocaster set of pickups.

It did say in tune with the original steel saddles.

I play the RW more than my Eric Johnson rosewood board strat.

tombm3 likes this.
  19. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

Man, that's interesting. I thought since the Purple ones are FSR limited edition models they have the same 9.5" fretboard as the Copper finish. Also, I see now that the Purple came with narrow jumbo vs the narrow tall on the Copper.

"Available now in limited quantities with a Road Worn Classic Copper finish and modern-playing 9.5”-radius fingerboard with narrow-tall frets."

RiverDog likes this.
  20. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

I just bought one from Guitar Center, 2018 Limited Candy Apple Red. Glad to know specs are consistent with the the RW series, other than alder as opposed to ash.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.