1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Comparing Brass Saddles to Stainless Steel - Does it matter?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Cody_J, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Hey everyone! I just made a video comparing brass saddles to stainless steel saddles. I have been making all kinds of comparison videos recently, and this one has been on my list for a little while now. I would love to hear about people's experiences with what parts they think make a difference (aside from pickups, which we know makes a massive difference) and what parts don't.

As always, I really appreciate the support I've received on TDPRI. You guys and gals are fantastic. Seriously.

Dereksys38 likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks! I don't hear a difference. I usually don't in Bridge material or Nut material. There can be some difference in designs to my ears, like a Bar bridge vs a Tune O Matic on a jazz box. But even that is subtle.
    My opinion is if you are looking to change the sound of a guitar much, a bridge or nut ain't gonna get you more than 5% change and more likely like 2%!

OTOH, even pickups in certain guitars wont change it's basic character. Other guitars it will. I had an all maple guitar once that was very bright, plinky, lacking sustain no matter what you did. tried probably 4 different HB's, Tried P90's, Tried Strat pickups, Minibuckers, pots, caps. None changed the basic character of that guitar very much.

wadeeinkauf and Cody_J like this.
  3. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

That's interesting! I have gotten responses from both camps so far -- people claiming they hear a difference and people claiming they don't. I think that just comes with the territory of the subjectivity of gear and people's preconceived notions. I need to do a pickup comparison at some point, but every time I approach the subject, the choices become overwhelming.

Thank you for watching!

howardlo likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yes there's a difference one can hear
    no it doesn't matter, in a band context

choops, wadeeinkauf, igor5 and 4 others like this.
  5. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I definitely hear it. Just a hair more snap with the steel.

Dereksys38, gregulator450 and Cody_J like this.
  6. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have two swamp ash Tele's, one with Marc Rutters compensated brass saddles, the other with Glendale compensated steel (Spanish Electric Brodacaster style). They both have the same Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue bridge pickup. The one with the Glendale saddles is notably brighter than the other.

Cody_J likes this.
  7. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

I definitely want to do a section in future videos with the comparisons "in the mix." I think that's always something to consider -- how much does it really matter? I will say that I felt a difference when I was playing them -- or at least my brain perceived a difference.

El Marin and blowtorch like this.
  8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, in the mix an awful lotta that precious hair splitting rarified air tone-poet stuff kinda just tends to disappear

This from a guy who once insisted on a split set of flatwounds and regular-wounds :)

9. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Hey, no one said we had to make sense with our gear choices... Haha. I have come to the conclusion that if it makes you happy and you understand the hype versus the reality, then that's all that matters.

10. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

The mortal enemy of all tone-questing...

[​IMG]

fenderchamp, kLyon, thebeebs and 15 others like this.
  11. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got brass on my Teles, steel on my Strats. No real reason why, just seems to make sense to me.

- D

Cody_J likes this.
  12. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

As well as the mortal enemy to a productive practice session with the band! Haha.

13. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Was your all-maple guitar one of the 1980s Electra Phoenix guitars, by chance? I have a maple-bodied one of those that is solid and feels great, but has sounded pretty “meh” no matter what pickups I’ve put in.

I had considered trying different saddles to see if that would put a little more ram in its rod, actually. This thread is not encouraging me...

Cody_J likes this.
  14. schmee

Gibson L6S . I love the feel of them, never could bond with the sound though.

mexicanyella and Cody_J like this.
  15. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

That was definitely an interesting guitar. I've toyed with the idea of getting one!

16. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Cody, if you wanted to send me some single note clips I could run them thru my FFT software and see if there is a difference in the harmonic and partial content. Its a bit tricky for me to do without the actual guitar but I think I could record them and run the analyzer. I can tell you just what I need.

Cody_J and mexicanyella like this.
  17. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

So the L6S was maple. Huh.

Was it the Sonex that was some sort of MDF-like composite? Or am I confusing this with the early Ibanez Talmans?

Cody_J likes this.
  18. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

Great demo! I was definitely surprised by the sustain increase with stainless steel.

19. schmee

All solid maple wood. Had a lot of birdseye in it too! maple fretboard, maple neck, maple body.

Cody_J likes this.
  20. schmee

A comfortable guitar with the belly cut. The nut was very narrow, probably 1-5/8? The neck profile was like a baseball bat; deep and round at the nut end. I actually thought about milling off the back of the body and replacing that part with other wood. But chickened out!
    I bought one years later from an original owner locally for $500. Had case and hang tags etc. it didn't sound any different. Sold it for twice that.

Cody_J likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.