Comparing American Pro models

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by swervinbob, May 9, 2021.

1. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I’ve got an American Pro I in three color sunburst and an American Pro II in butterscotch blonde. Both with maple fretboards. To me, the I is a little warmer and takes overdrive like a champ. The II is a little chimier and, kind of like a strat, I have to work at it a little with overdrive. But both sound good to me. Since I got my Kemper, I’ve pretty much gravitated towards playing these the most at my recording computer. I use the Pro I for most rhythm and the Pro II is my lead guitar. I stay in the classic /hard/blues rock world mostly with a Marshall sound. Couldn’t tell you how good they are with other genres.

Not sure why they have the series/parallel on the Pro II on a push-push tone pot and not a 4 way, but at least it’s there if you’re into that.

And which one would I keep if I had to choose? The Pro I sounds best for what I do.

Just my experiences.

TheMicster and Greggorios like this.
  2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

There is a difference in body woods between the two Teles; the Pro II in butterscotch blonde has a "roasted pine" body (like the "roasted pine" natural and the sienna sunburst colors) while the Pro I would have an alder body. The body wood and the pickups are likely the main sources of the tone difference.

I guess Fender just wanted to us a push/push pot for the series/parallel instead of a 4-way switch on these to have some differences between their series/models. The Pro II has the push/push pot; the American Ultras have the S-1 switch for that function (that goes back to the 2nd generation of American Deluxes which came out in 2004) while several other models use the 4-way switch.

swervinbob and Greggorios like this.
  3. swervinbob

Actually, in the Pro II butterscotch blonde is alder. Natural and Sienna Sunburst are pine.

4. swervinbob

And then I read somewhere else that it is pine. It sure is as heavy as my Pro I

5. swervinbob

Ok. Just got off Fender’s website. Butterscotch blonde is available in alder and pine. I knew mine said alder, but I’ve seen mistakes before.

John C likes this.
  6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Interesting. It's priced at $100 more (like the Natural and Sienna Sunburst) and when you have it selected on the Fender website it shows up as "roasted pine". I was just going off the website; I didn't realize the Pro IIs in BSB could be either body wood.

swervinbob likes this.
  7. swervinbob

I’m really not sure anymore. I grabbed mine from GC and they said alder. Sweetwater only shows them in pine. Maybe mine is pine but it is no lighter than my alder telecasters. I think I read the Fender website wrong. I think they meant the line comes in alder or pine.

8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

And of course Fender is famous for "specifications subject to change without notice" so maybe they have used both. Or maybe you just wound up with a pine one that was heavy for pine but normal for alder.

swervinbob likes this.
  9. TheMicster

TheMicster TDPRI Member

My experience was similar when comparing the Pro to the Pro2. I also thought the Pro was more resonant, but that could be the different body wood selection. Anyhow i do believe that your Pro 2 is Pine.
    Cheers Mic.

swervinbob likes this.
  10. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

There is a bug on the Fender website.
    When you change the color the specification of the original model page is not updated as it should be.
    eg
    The current Am Pro II page opens with the BSB
    https://shop.fender.com/en-US/elect...an-professional-ii-telecaster/0113942750.html
    This is Model #: 0113942750

Click in a different color say Miami Blue
    The web address stays the same
    https://shop.fender.com/en-US/elect...an-professional-ii-telecaster/0113942750.html
    But the model number is now Model #: 0113942719

To get the correct spec for the Miami Blue the web address needs changing to include the correct model number
    https://shop.fender.com/en-US/elect...an-professional-ii-telecaster/0113942719.html

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    swervinbob likes this.
  11. swervinbob

Yeah. It probably is pine. I was going on what GC’s website said when I bought it a while back. I just walked in, liked the look, played a little, and bought it.

I’ve been playing my PRS CE24 all the time. The other day, I pulled a Tele out and remembered how...present they are. So, for now, they’ve taken over again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.