1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Comparing a Vintage Deluxe Reverb to Amplitube's Plugin

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Cody_J, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

I thought I'd make a quick video comparing my 1964 Deluxe Reverb to Amplitube's "Deluxe Reverb" simulation from their first Fender Signature Series plugin bundle.

I honestly was not sure what to think until I actually started editing together the video, but I have to say I was surprised at the differences once I had the two clips side-by-side.

I always like hearing other people's opinions on comparison videos, so let me know!

2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Right off the bat, the first thing I would say is that there are far too many variables to make a comparison. You could move that microphone 1/2" and have a huge difference in tone. You could adjust whatever cab simulation is on the plugin, and get a huge difference in tone.

What I've noticing in the comparison, is that the amps' tones themselves are very close, the difference is that the actual amplifier has noticeably more high-end. I suppose speaker type can make a difference also. I don't know what speaker type is emulated in the plugin.

That Cal Webway, hepular and Cody_J like this.
  3. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

Interesting experiment for sure. If you sample the sound of an amp with a mic instead of listening to the actual amp in the same room, you will always capture just a little bit of the magic that an amp may have. Same with acoustic instruments. And in contrast, if you only care for the recorded sound, a good simulation may actually sound a lot better than micing the real thing. As a player I would always prefer having the real thing.

Cody_J likes this.
  4. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

You're 100% correct that there are a ton of variables that cannot be controlled for without a massive budget (and even then some might be out of reach). I get these kinds of comments every time I make a comparison video, and I agree with them every time.

That said, I also like to mention that I think there's still merit to understanding the similarities and differences that someone can expect from a more generalized, home recording scenario.

I also agree with your assessment that the amp seemed to have more high end!

hepular likes this.
  5. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Agreed. I definitely think simulators and profilers have a place in modern recording. I really actually enjoy using Amplitube's Fender series for quick projects. I can get some more than passable sounds out of the plugin with way less work.

I actually think that I could have gotten the two things (the amp and the plugin) closer in sound for this video if I had used different mics and adjusted the settings on the two, but I chose to use the exact mic in the *closest* spot on the grill cloth as the plugin was showing me. Not sure which would have been better in the end, but that's what I went with, haha!

6. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Both usable in a mix.

Cody_J likes this.
  7. 3-Chord-Genius

I actually like the video a lot. I'm interested in things like this.

8. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

More than passable. I have actually opted for plugins on a couple of jobs recently with no regrets!

swervinbob likes this.
  9. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Thank you! Also, I was agreeing with you completely, just to be clear. It is always worth clarifying the shortcomings in YouTube comparison videos.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

I appreciate when someone mics an amp properly, and doesn't use a phone camera mic... which people do all the time on YouTube, and it makes the amp sound like it's in a toilet!!!:D Seriously, I see people demoing a $1,500 tube amp and they're using their Android phone mic from 9 feet away....

dougstrum, scook and Cody_J like this.
  11. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

That drives me crazy too! Or when someone uses their phone camera and records the amp in a reflective room, haha. I honestly think I could have gotten the two sounding closer if I had mic'd the amp the way I usually do, but AmpliTube made it clear that their plugin was using a simulated SM57 right against the grill cloth (and it even showed where the mic "was"), so I went with trying to get close to that.

scook likes this.
  12. swervinbob

The only way I can see to get around these variables would be if you have a load box and could play both through the same impulse response. But then you take away the miced cab, which some people say they will only record with.

But I like seeing videos like this, playing the same thing, comparing differences in gear.

Cody_J likes this.
  13. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for doing that. In these clips, the '64 amp is fuller and sounds less "electric" to me than the plug-in does. The only way I know how to describe what I mean is by saying that the plug-in sounds like a typical plugged-in acoustic guitar sound. And as for the tonality -- at least in the first few clips -- I think the '64 sounds like a Deluxe Reverb, whereas the plug-in sounds more like a Vibrolux Reverb (clearer, less bass, less mids). But still kind of "plastic-y" sounding.

Cody_J likes this.
  14. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Thank you, and I agree with you that impulse responses would help eliminate some of the variables in a video like this. I am really tempted to pick up the new Two Notes load box that's on sale right now. Most of my amps have an 8ohm output option, so that would cover a lot of bases. Do you use any load boxes, and if so, preference?

15. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

That's interesting! I am not sure I would have heard it sounding like a Vibrolux, but after you mention that I could see it. Definitely cool, thanks!

16. swervinbob

I have just the regular two notes torpedo captor. I usually just run the unaffected signal into my helix where I pick up a third-party impulse response. I usually just use an Ownhammer with a 57 and 121 with a cabinet that matches the amp I’m using

Cody_J likes this.
  17. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

I've heard of the Ownhammer stuff, but I haven't had the chance to mess with them. I assume you like it since that's the setup you use? I'd love to hear some samples if you have any!

18. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Cool video, thanks for making it and sharing.

In my opinion, just listening on a laptop speaker, the differences are stark. I think the amp sounds great, and the plugin sounds like an electric guitar plugged into an audio interface. The differences are especially notable when you start strumming.

Cody_J likes this.
  19. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

I do think the strumming is one of the most notable sections when it comes to hearing differences. It's really interesting that you could hear that much of a difference with laptop speakers! Thanks for watching!

20. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

i found amplitube in my own experience to be kind of crappy. using their cab sims, i find it really hard to not get a boxy sound out of it. sure "it works in a mix," but what if you're playing solo? it doesn't cut it for me. i've had better experience with t21-type pedals and a mooer radar, and eq'ing/compressing/adding some reverb after the fact. i think when i have some extra money i might get the iridium. i already use the ownhammer IRs and it sounds the most natural for DR cleans to my ears.

and nice playing. that's exactly what i want to hear in a comparison video.

Cody_J likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.