Comparing a Vintage Deluxe Reverb to a Tone King Imperial

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Cody_J, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Mutato

Mutato Tele-Meister

Both sounded great. A little more bass tone from the Tone King.
    I have a PR but I really want a silver face Deluxe! ; - )

Cody_J likes this.
  2. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My primary amp these days is a black-panel Deluxe Reverb clone (2x10). But I sure wouldn't mind test-driving the Tone King!

Cody_J and getbent like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Deluxe!

Cody_J likes this.
  4. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

Ok, I finally took the 3 minutes it takes to watch the video. It’s VERY well done! (and I’m a very critical guy)

There’s one thing missing. It would be great if you could include a snapshot of the knob positions used to match up the tones between the amps. Then put that snapshot on the top of the screen. That would give the viewer an idea of how much additional adjustment remains.

As a Tone King Sky King owner, given the choices you presented so well, I have to say the Deluxe sounded better to me. (But I also know you only presented 1/3 of what it can do and didn’t feature the built-in Ironman II attenuator which comes in very handy for me)

I know you could do a second match up video featuring the Imperial’s Lead channel to a Fender tweed (whatever one you think sounds closest to the Imperial —make it tough to choose for the listener. That’s what makes watching so fun!)

Then you could do a third video with the Mid-Bite turned up and compare it to a Marshall JTM45 or Blues Breaker (again, whichever sounds closer ).

I can attest that some of the magic of a TK’s tone can’t be captured (like most other amps) on an Internet video, but that doesn’t take away from these shoot-outs.

I am honestly looking forward to your next effort.

Cody_J and Wally like this.
  5. frank a

frank a Tele-Meister

Great demo. Thank you. I’d take either but the deluxe is a tad sweeter.

Cody_J likes this.
  6. Cody_J

Cody_J TDPRI Member

There have been some really great suggestions in this thread, including yours. I'm really appreciative of the fact that I can post here and get constructive criticism. This is why you guys rock.

I can easily include a snapshot of the knob position, that's super easy. Also, you're right that I only presented one feature of the amp (the feature that most resembles a DR). Overall, I will say that the Imperial makes for a much better gigging amp, not only because it is more versatile, but also because it has modern build quality and reliability. I have no worries about taking the Imperial to a gig and knowing that it will perform exactly how I need it to every time.

I'll root around some of my friends' gear to see if I can find a tweed for comparison, but I'm equally interested in a Marshall-style comparison as well. Could be a good excuse to buy a Blues Breaker :)

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Ime, there is no reason why a properly maintained vintage handwired Fender should have any reliability issues. Most vintage amps with reliability issues have not been properly maintained and/or serviced. I do agree that the Tone King has excellent build quality, but then so does the Vintage Fender.

Jerry J, singlecoil and hepular like this.
  8. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Afflicted

So, same question to you, Cody...which one did YOU prefer, sitting in the room?
    I also own a Sky King, (original handwired with Celestion Creamback) and sold my Deluxe Reverb (and 5 other amps). It's everything I want, and with dual-channel attenuation is an uncompromising Swiss-Army knife of sounds. The "Tone King" learning curve takes time, though...the knobs are inter-dependent: a tweak on the volume moves the mid-hump, etc. It's a simple layout with a few knobs on the clean channel, but you can chase a LOT of sounds with those 3 knobs.

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

Thanks for posting the video - your playing is great and the fact that you let the music speak for itself was refreshing.

It's hard to say which one sounds better when both sounded great through my crappy laptop speakers. I'd have to hear them live to determine which sounded the best to me.

Can you give us some details on the Partscaster you built with your Grandfather? It is a stunning looking guitar and I have a partscaster I built with Warmoth parts finished in Seafoam Green. I'd like to hear that story and how special that guitar must be to you. What a nice memory of your Grandfather.

10. Cody_J

Cody_J TDPRI Member

I hear ya. I am trying to make videos where the audio speaks for itself without interjecting my own opinions. However, I certainly don't mind sharing them here. I tend to prefer the Deluxe for all things chicken picking for sure. It can give me that twang a pinch easier. However, I really love that low end thump from the Tone King for Chet-styled Travis picking. Merle type Travis picking on the other hand... That's a toss up. The Deluxe with a Gibson archtop sounds fantastic. I know it's a bit of a cop out, but I honestly do love them both.

11. Cody_J

Cody_J TDPRI Member

Thanks for asking! I was 18 years old (I'm 30 now for reference), and asked my grandfather to help me with a school project. I've been a guitar fanatic for most of my life, so we naturally landed on building one for the project. The neck we ordered from Warmoth, but the body we built. The pickups came from Fender, and at the time they had a set called the "Custom Shop." Not sure if they still make that set, or if they're still called the same thing. He helped me with every step.

He was sick at the time already, but hadn't told anyone. It is one of many favorite memories I have of him. He knew how to fix or build anything.

Ronzo and Wally like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.