Common Squier CV Mods

JADoss23

TDPRI Member
Was curious what were some common squier cv 50s tele mods that people made? Any essential changes? Do fender style necks fit perfectly or does routing need to be done?

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Belly and arm relief for playing seated.
Brass barrels for nostalgia
Gotoh vintage tuners for obvious reasons
Bootstrap pickups (although the stock pickups sound okay)

<Edit> I don't know about the neck pocket fit, but the shape and dimensions of the CV neck are virtually identical to my '69 Strat's neck (measured with a caliper).

Tele relief.png

Last edited:

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Electrosocket. Both mine had wobbly sockets within weeks.
Straplocks.
Redress the nut slots and apply graphite. Not so much a mod, more a habit of mine.
On my 50's, I swapped the centre saddle for a Wilkinson compensated. My 60's is close enough as-is.
I swapped the tuners out for a set with white knobs for purely aesthetic reasons. The stock tuners were fine.
Strat switch tips.

Of the above, only the Electrosocket was ( opinion ) needed.

Set it up, pay attention to the pickup heights, and play it!

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I bought mine used with a gfs mini-bucker installed in the neck and with the Kirchen mod done. Each pickup has it’s own volume pot. So it has two volume controls and NO tone control.

I haven’t changed it.

Sal A

TDPRI Member
I bought mine new a few weeks back, if that. I changed the Pickguard, swapped the tuners for locking (but the tuners were fine), added an Electrosocket, swapped steel for brass barrel bridges, and I changed knobs.

Attachments

• B00A6CB0-75A4-4BFC-8E31-534E04DB35EA.jpeg
    B00A6CB0-75A4-4BFC-8E31-534E04DB35EA.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 33

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I will say that when I took a look at prices for these new, I realized that these weren't "cheap" guitars. Do they occupy the space that the MIM Standard used to be in? Made in China, or Mexico? I know it was 2009, but my MIM Standard then was $395, with gig bag. Maybe it is ME who is still in 2009 . . . . .

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I will say that when I took a look at prices for these new, I realized that these weren't "cheap" guitars. Do they occupy the space that the MIM Standard used to be in? Made in China, or Mexico? I know it was 2009, but my MIM Standard then was $395, with gig bag. Maybe it is ME who is still in 2009 . . . . .

I was quite impressed with the quality of my MII CV 50s, and I had a '69 Strat to compare it to. I had not bought a guitar since 1978, so I missed all of the MIA, MIM, MIJ, and MIC stuff.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
The only mod I've done since getting my '60's Tele Thinline ( November) is a string gauge change to D'Addario 9.5-44's

The guitar comes shipped with 9's (Fender nickel roundwound, which are fine strings), which I ( after 2 gigs) changed to D'Addario 10's, used on all my electrics,

But after reading ( probably here!) how folks were really liking the 'just right!' feel of the 9.5 gauge set, I thought I'd try a set on the Thinline, and just love them.
They are a great gauge for string vibrato and bending w/o being too slinky for good chord playing. The guitar sounds & plays great- no plans ( at least now) to change out anything...

I put this same set on my SG- Wow!
These strings really 'hot-rod' these guitar, by opening up my own playing, IMO

( the Strat and Dano stay 10's)

craigs63

Tele-Holic
On mine:
- 4 way switch (both p/u in series in the neck-most position)
- push-pull for phase
- parchment color pickguard
- graph tech compensated saddles
- Electrosocket jack
- neck pickup replacement (only because I damaged the wiring on the stock one doing the other mods)

birdawesome

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter

I do think that inexpensive guitars are getting better and better when compared to guitars even 10 years ago. But, according to an inflation calculator, that $395 MIM would’ve cost $545 if you were to buy it today. So, not a huge difference in price between a Squier and MIM, but the gap between that MIM and the current Player Series is much larger with PS at $850...I personally wouldn’t spend that much on one. Aside from the Fender logo, these Squiers have some features I prefer over the current MIM line anyways, like the walnut truss rod plug instead of plastic, and an actual bone nut. I don’t like the satin finish on the necks either, so I prefer the glossy Squier neck too. As far as my own preferences go, I think the Squier is the clear choice, and still less expensive than a MIM back in ‘09!

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
On the last 2 squier cv guitars I did setups on for friends and my paranormal offset tele I have changed the bridge plate and saddles to fender stuff and drilled out the control plate to take cts pots.

Only did the bridge plate because every squire plate on the cv's I've got so far was slightly thicker and I like to stick with what I know works.( I have a bunch of random tele parts laying around from the past 30 years I've been fiddling with building guitars so it's not like any money was actually spent)

Only thing that has ever really needed to be done to any of the cv guitars I've had my hands on was the pots and switch and a decent setup. (And one guitar had 1 tuning machine with a sharp cast edge that I took off with a whetstone)

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
Based on those I've been inside while servicing I would say the only possible preemptive upgrades I would make would be the blade switch and the output jack.

I always recommended other changes only be made to taste (pickups, straplocks) or only as issues arise (including tuning machines and saddles in this camp).

Tony474

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
My CV50 Tele is an early MIC from 2008, and the one and only mod I've made (if you can even call it that) was to put some ballpoint pen springs around the neck pickup screws so I could raise it for volume balance with the bridge pickup – the standard rubber pad wasn't thick enough. Worked like a charm and ever since then the guitar has earned me a whole lot of groceries with no further mods whatsoever being necessary or, for me, particularly desirable.

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
This might apply to the Tele as well... I just received a 2022 Squier Clasic Vibe Jazzmaster. All is well except the upper bout (rhythm) volume control doesn't work. I'm not sending it back or to a Fender repair place...

Instead, I'll start my upgradind early and I'm going to buy a complete wiring harness from Gunstreet Wiring Shop (FWIW they also sell wiring harnesses for several other instruments... LP, SG, Flying V, Mustang, Tele, Strat, Jazzmaster, P/J and J basses,):

I do the same with Squier and/or Mexican-made Fenders and Squiers. With a Strat, I replace the pots, wire, switch, cap and jack... pretty easy to do on a Strat with a decent 40w soldering gun. I've noticed with several Strats that if I did the wiring harness, I didn't necessarily need to do the pickups... usually people do it the other way around... pay big bucks for a cool set of pups, then leave them strangled in the tiny Asian wiring and pots. It does make a difference when the pups can breath... kind of like adding aftermarket headers and a new 4-bbl carb to a small block V-8 engine... adds horsepower without rebuilding the engine...

I had planned to upgrade the Jazzmaster as soon as I got it, and for a $400 guitar, I'm "OK" with it not having the upper volume control working... I'm gonna yank all the Chinese stuff out anyways...

I am also spying Fender Pure Vintage '65 Jazzmaster Pickup Set

Between the wiring harness and the pups, it'll be like buying a second Squier CV JM... lol... but it's mine, it's paid for and I can make it into anything I like

For the Tele, I might suggest a set of Fender

I had something like that in my Fender Classic Player Baja Tele, and they sounded great... the Baja Tele also has an S1 switch and a 4-way blade for lot's of fun tone choices...

From a Fender website, here' what the Baja Tele switching does...

S-1 switch off (or UP):

Position one: bridge pickup only
Position two: bridge and neck pickups in parallel
Position three: neck pickup only
Position four: neck and bridge pickups in series

------------------------------------------------------

S-1 switch on (or pressed in, or DOWN):

Position one: bridge pickup only
Position two: bridge and neck pickups in parallel and out of phase
Position three: neck pickup only
Position four: neck and bridge pickups in series and out of phase

The Baja Tele is an excellent guitar, but there are a couple things I more than hate about the model...

1) I can't stand the 3-brass-barrel type of bridge saddles... first go took me about 2 hours to get the intonation right, and then is still wasn't exactly right... not one of Leo's better ideas...

2) OMG, gawd forbid I would have ever had to adjust the trussrod, as it is the kind of adjustment at the HEEL of the neck, not at the headstock, which means you have to unbolt the neck to adjust the trussrod... another one of Leo's not so bright (to me) ideas...

I think the vintage loving guys dig those 2 things but they're not for me... I prefer the solid steel bridge saddles that come on the new Player Plus Nashville Tele, and the other guitar I have with those saddles is an American Elite HSS Strat... Just seems like there is more sustain, but that's me

I did love the soft-vee neck profile of the Baja... if I could have every guitar with that type of profile I'd be good with that, LOL

My Baja is the guitar in my Avatar... sold it a while back... because of the trussrod and the brass saddles, I wouldn't buy another one.

Got my eye on a butterscotch blonde Player Plus Nashiville Tele these days... people hate the noiseless pickups, I like them because they are different than regular Tele sounding pups... to each their own I suppose

Happy hotrodding

Last edited: