Common courtesy

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
I don’t think any of these customs pertaining to headwear are “common courtesy” as the thread is titled. Common courtesies are things that are, well, common, applicable to all people regardless of place and time. I don’t think what one does with their hat is generally speaking a matter of common courtesy, rather a matter of social custom, which is relative to a particular culture or society, in a given time. In other words, they’re different for different places and they change.

My kids will probably put “he never wore a hat in a restaurant” on my tombstone, as much as they hear me complain about others doing it. But clearly, not wearing a hat in a restaurant, is no longer a societal norm, regardless of my opinion on the matter.

I know there’s a lot of grey area when you get down in the weeds, but to me common courtesy comprises things like treating others with respect, helping someone when you see they need help, apologizing if you hurt someone, etc. Surely someone could respond that wearing your hat indoors shows a lack of respect and thus falls into the common courtesy category. But I see it more as a subjective interpretation as viewed through the lens of a particular social custom.

Still, take your damned hat off at the dinner table. 😉
Yes, there’s a difference between common courtesy and muscle memory (created by house rules instilled on some of us by no-nonsense fathers at a very tender age: G, always remove your hat indoors, during the National Anthem, and solemn moments, e.g., funerals). It's like my decades-old habit of sticking up for my (sometimes idiotic) younger siblings--it's not out of a sense of family loyalty or nostalgia, just muscle memory.

Last edited:

carpenter

Tele-Afflicted
I was taught in school it was a sign of respect and acknowledging another human being.
That was when such things were taught in school. Bowing and curtsey, how dance with a girl. Different time I guess. Values from a time past. I guess it is up to us what we pass on to our children. The world seems a lesser place these days. I myself think
these small things, which costs you nothing. Seem to benefit in some small way us
and the people around us. And it does matter to acknowledge other people's existence
in these trying times. You might even make someone smile. What's better than that?
This is just my opinion. Take from it what you will.

Last edited:

Rustbucket

Poster Extraordinaire

Attachments

• 53B36184-F8AD-435A-8C70-B2409C8800BB.jpeg
    53B36184-F8AD-435A-8C70-B2409C8800BB.jpeg
    387.3 KB · Views: 2

Blackmore Fan

Friend of Leo's
Lucky for me, I place no importance at all on relationships with people who wish to enforce their make believe rules on me.

The only problem with that stance is that virtually all humans have such quirks of what they value. If you'd like a job, perhaps a co-worker or two that you're cordial with, a friend to watch football with, and a girlfriend or wife, its pretty much a certainty that one or more of them have expectations in regard to how people interact with other people.

At this point you're basically asserting "I do exactly what I want, and nothing else". That would be a neat trick, but its virtually impossible if you value even a small amount of regular human interaction.

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
The only problem with that stance is that virtually all humans have such quirks of what they value. If you'd like a job, perhaps a co-worker or two that you're cordial with, a friend to watch football with, and a girlfriend or wife, its pretty much a certainty that one or more of them have expectations in regard to how people interact with other people.

At this point you're basically asserting "I do exactly what I want, and nothing else". That would be a neat trick, but its virtually impossible if you value even a small amount of regular human interaction.
We’re talking about clothes, not the entirety of behavior.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Hat etiquette, when you meet a woman or walk past?
Do you tip your hat? When do you remove? Beside when anthem is played.
What were you taught? and what do you do?
Remove your hat when you go into someone’s house, a shop or other premises. I struggle with the door thing, should I go through first and hold the door open or hold the door for tge lady to go through. Or, in these days where some women constantly press the equality button, should I not bother? 😀

ravindave_3600

Friend of Leo's
I gotta agree with you on this one point. Anything less than a Yankees cap is just not acceptable in my house.
I frequently wear hats:
* I take them off in church, but not til after I drop off the guitars on stage.
* I take them off anytime for prayer
* I take them off in the presence of older women
* I tip them to younger women or whenever a little acknowledgement seems due
* Otherwise I go with what seems appropriate
* Is there anything "less than a Yankees cap"?

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
National anthem, cemeteries, any where with food ( I was Coast Guard, a galley in the day was also the hospital where people die - never a hat) is served. Sun glasses off when talking to someone. I would take a hat off for a woman, tipping looks stupid, unless I had a cowboy hat, spurs, and a tooth pick.

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
A few years ago, an older friend told me to remove my hat at a gig.
He (since passed) was about 73 to my then 63.
I gently explained to him that since he wasn’t my dad, and wasn’t wearing a badge, my hat stays on.
We finished that gig, and did many others.
I never got another opinion from him.
So he died within two years of the incident. Is your middle name Tony?