Coming up Tele Season, Looking Forward!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Platefire, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Some die hard tele players seem to get aggravated about this guitar rotation philosophy I have but I take my guitar collections in seasons. One for all my strats which is 6 of them, one for all my LP, 335, PRS types which are 4 and one for my teles(2).

So I'm looking forward for a couple of months of tele because they are awesome guitars. I like my teles to be just your standard classic tele sound and set up. Got a pretty stock 2003 Hwy 1 with only mod, brass compensated saddles. The other is a highly modified 2006 Affinity Butterscotch. Both work great for my purposes. Platefire
    AS&Hwy1 Full#2.jpg

brookdalebill, teletimetx and jim777 like this.
  2. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

Interesting concept. Only 3 seasons though? Is that a lack of winter in La?

Wondering what mods you did to the affinity, out of curiosity.

3. Platefire

Well we have lite Winters compared to up north. Weather has nothing to do with leangth of guitar season though. Strat season always last longer because the count is larger and I'm chiefly a strat man.

On the affinity the owner before me did a great job of smoothing out the frets, they feel fine. Also the bridge pu that came with it I love but can't tell what it is? The previous owner claims it's a Dimarzio---I can't tell by looking.

I'm a pretty good Stu Mac fan, so I installed a shilding kit in the cavity along with a wiring kit plus a Golden Age Alnico V 7k neck pickup. Everything else is stock. Platefire

Telecentric likes this.
  4. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

I tend to go in cycles as well, but not purposely like a circled date on a calendar thing :) I suppose I could give it a try, shake things up a bit. Different guitars force you to play differently, so it might be good for overall ability...hmmmm.....

5. Platefire

Yeah, I don't have a certain time period for a season/cycle either! In fact my seasons usually gets extended because I start really getting into the ax I'm playing and find it hard to break away. Once I get my amp and pedals tweaked to a certain guitar and play it a while---it sounds like the greatest on earth.

Once I switch, the re-tweaking of everything starts over until my tone is nailed again. Truthfully I could live with any one of my guitars if that was the only one I had but as long as I don't have to, will continue to enjoy the variety.

I am looking forward to the tele because nothing can nail classic American tone like it can and I do love tele twang. Platefire

6. Platefire

Well, started tele season this weekend with pictured. Using it with my Church P & W Band. Started with my Affinity Butterscotch tele. I did a lot of work/mods to this one as compared to the stock USA 2003 Hwy1, only brass compensated bridge on that one. But it always amazes me because in a lot of ways prefer the Affinity over the Hwy 1 but both do very well.

Got it running though my pedal-board to my DIY Champ and Silvertone 1482 hooked in parallel. No reverb, only two delays, short and slightly long. Lot of sweet tones. The tele does vol swells so well it's hard not to overdo it:>)

BTW--I do prefer that white guard

AS full.jpg

teletimetx likes this.
  7. Platefire

Just re-iterating Tele season for me. I know! I'm in my own world:>) nobody much relates but very real to me. Getting re-antiquated with my teles and realizing again what great guitars they are.
    It was up to 75 degrees this last Saturday so the wife and I decided to set up the PA and all our equipment on the front porch and just play. She plays keyboard and sings. We use DIY backup tracks on a JamMan into the PA.

I used the 2003 Hwy 1 tele through my Allen Accomplice and my big pedal-board. Man! what a treat. The Hwy 1 stayed in tune so well, I kept checking tuning in between songs but most of the time it was dead on. The action on that thing will allow me to do anything I want, as far as my ability will allow:>). This tele was my first, the one I chose after an extended search that lasted a several years and I was reminded again why I chose this particular one.
    The Affinity was just an opportunity that fell in my lap after I got the Hwy 1 that turned out to be a really great second tele. So that's it. Platefire
    Hwy1 full #3.jpg

8. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I’m in constant Tele season as I own 4. The go to are the Squier Std, 2 of them. The antique White/ Yellow was my 1st serious guitar. The red burst was bought on a whim and left at my Sisters in SoCal. Third is a CVC with flat wounds. Last is a MIM Cabronita. All are used with little effects as I’m a bedroom player. I’ve had an Epi LP for a year, a MIM Strat, and a Danolectric. These got sold to fund other Teles. I don’t have a clock or calendar, just a whim as to which I want to play. I do my warm up and some serious practice on a A & L cut away acoustic that forces me to play better and build strength and endurance to play the electrics. It can be plugged in as well but serves as a grab and go for lessons and playing with a few friends.

9. Platefire

Hi Mechanic! I could survive happily on either of my two teles. I got carried away some where down the line on buying guitars. Got 18 presently. I remember the days of just one amp, one electric and one acoustic. Very simple then, no deliberation on the correct one to play--not even a backup in those days and I got by just fine. I have to say, it is nice to swap around because every guitar seems to put you in a little different pocket which sometimes brings out different aspects of your playing--which is kind of cool. If you got pictures, would love to see your collection. Platefire

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I just exercise my woodpile indiscriminately.
    It seems to work for them.

11. Platefire

Woodpile----Har!! That's about all they amount to because we won't be taking none with us when we cross over:>) Can't help but wonder what the Lord will have us pickers set up with on the other side?

To be honest, most people I've talked to about this don't rotate like guitars together for a certain period of time. In fact most people swap strats, LP's or teles indiscriminately even during a single set or session.

My practice and reasoning is based on this:

1-When switching from a tele to a 335 to be fine tuned to the guitar requires different amps setting and different effects settings. So considering that I play my LP's, 335 or PRS types with humbuckers together during one period/season, not much change is required in amp or effect settings using those guitars because they are voiced very similar. So if I plugged a tele into that setup for Gibson type guitars, it would be way to bright.

2-IMHO I can better get the best out of a particular guitar by just living with it a while and take the time to better acclimate to its advantages or draw backs to get the most out of it.

I realize I'm an odd ball but this is why I do it this way. With modern amps and effects pedals it would be easy to setup patches to fit your different guitars I reckon---guess I need to upgrade to modern times:>) Platefire

12. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

13. Platefire

Mechanic---the links are not working for me, I'm getting an error message. Platefire

14. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Yeah just noticed that. What with the sale of and transfer of the system, I’m not able to upload pics yet I’ll finger it out tomorrow.

15. Platefire

Just select "Upload a File" then select a picture on you computer or phone Gallery. Once the upload shows 100%, select either "Thumbnail" for a small version that you have to click on to enlarge or "Full Image" for the enlarged picture. Like this full image:
    Bob+Tele.jpg

16. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Image1544723707.891845.jpg

17. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Image1544723758.272984.jpg
    California rig.
    Sorry, got busy and forgot.

18. Platefire

There you go Mechanic! I would say your fully Teleafied. Nice variation of teles there. How does that Cube sound---isn't that by Boss/Roland? Just the right size for portability.

Plan to switch from my Affinity Butterscotch to my sunburst Hwy 1 this weekend in the P & W band.
    Tele season is going good. Strat season is coming up I would say about 15 Jan 2019. It's always interesting with great guitars on the horizon! Platefire

19. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I have 11 guitars, and I do rotate through them, but I'm nowhere near as disciplined and/or organized as you. I have 1 guitar that's equipped with humbuckers, my Logan Custom Challenger. When I first got it back in September, I played it exclusively at home and for gigs. That was part honeymoon period and part getting accustomed to the feel of the neck and the pickups.
    Logan Custom Challenger, front & back.jpg

I also have 4 Logan Custom teles. The BSB (2nd from left) is my primary gigging tele, but I do occasionally take one of the others out to the gig instead, just to change things up. Since the BSB is my go-to tele for gigs, I don't play it at home as much. I play one of my teles everyday, but I'll usually pick up the Firecaster (far left) or the "Logo" thinline (2nd from right). The mahogany on the far right has a switching problem and only gets the neck pickup, a P-90. So I play this one the least right now.
    06-04-2018 - My Logan Custom Family Portrait - 2.jpg

As you can see in the middle of the pic above, I also have an acoustic/electric tele style Logan Custom. I acquired this one in January, and it has become my go-to a/e guitar for gigs. The comfort and feel of a tele neck, a featherweight guitar with Fishman electronics, it's just a great choice. Like my BSB tele, because it gets the most play out, I hardly play it at home. Which leads me to my other acoustic and acoustic/electric guitars.

Here are my two Breedlove a/e guitars, which I gigged with a lot before I got the Logan Custom tele acoustic. To the left of them is my 35 year old Japanese vintage Hohner G-940. I play that one a lot at home, but I never take it out anymore.
    06-04-2018 - 3 of my acoustics - Hohner & Breedloves.jpg

And that just leaves my parlor guitars, a Wechter Nashville and a Gretsch G9500 Jim Dandy. The Wechter is a Nashville-tuned/high string guitar, and I play it mostly for Celtic/Irish songs. The high strung droning sound approximates the sound usually achieved in Celtic music by a 12-string, mandolin or bouzouki. The Jim Dandy is my back porch/bonfire/beach guitar.
    04-22-2017 - Wechter-NV-5413E - 2.jpg 05-25-2017 - My Gretsch Jim Dandy G9500 - 1.jpg

So there they all are. And I do play them all, though not all to the same degree, and not according to seasons.

20. Platefire

Hey LGO

Nice collection you got there. I'm not really familiar with Logan Guitars but they look really nice.
    I'll have to do a Google search and check them out. I do swap around practicing at home on my different axes but in my P & W band go in seasons. All my guitars get played. Strat season usually last longer because I got 6 of them:>) Platefire

BTW--Here's me and one of my Guitar Buddys:>) The Tele I'm holding is an all original 1969 Tele that belongs to my Bass Player---I drag it out every now and then
    IMG_20170326_222930.jpg

Ydwen Jones likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.