Come gather 'round Beatles haters...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by DHart, Jul 18, 2021.

1. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

TelEBaby123 likes this.
  2. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

I can't stand Paul McCartney. There, I said it.

George was always my favorite Beatle, and I've come to quite like Ringo, as well.

radiocaster, El Marin and Bella like this.
  3. Mosstone

Mosstone Tele-Meister

Heheh... That's the first thing I thought.

I've been a mad Beatles fan since I was 12 years old, but I don't care if someone doesn't like them. I don't tell them they're wrong, or try to talk them into liking the Beatles... You either dig them or you don't. No amount of talk has ever convinced me to like a band that I don't, so I don't see how that'll work on other people. I just get irked when someone goes out of their way to bash on a band (any band) unsolicited. That's always ego and attention driven... And nobody cares what you don't like.

Double Stop likes this.
  4. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon Tele-Meister

Well I love them. But most of my friends don’t so I think nothing of it. There really is all kinds of good stuff in those songs. I pretty much figured out piano listening to those old songs. Lots of good lessons.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

“Hate” is a strong term, but historically speaking, is there anything we don’t know about the Beatles in this six part series? Any gleaming bits of wisdom or are we just hanging onto our youth here?

carpenter likes this.
  6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Hearing Paul talk about the Beatles without John being there for counterpoint is truly the sound of one hand clapping.

TelEBaby123 likes this.
  7. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

I'm a life-long Beatles fan. I learned some of my first songs on guitar from a "Beatles Easy-Strum" book. I read just about every book published on the band and the individual members.

I have every album on vinyl and CD. I have every solo album of all four. I've owned the VHS tapes and DVDs. T-shirts, coffee mugs, beach towels, etc. have graced my home.

I taught my kids to play guitar to their songs...

Every band I played in through high school and college had a play list that was heavily overweight with Beatle tunes.

In 2017 I was part of a Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary" concert complete with a full orchestra, choir, and horn section.

I have not listened to The Beatles since...

Burnout... big time.

When I saw this Hulu thing advertised I thought, "Here we go again. The 10,000th telling of the same tired old stories..."

I was pleasantly surprised however. Although there was a bit of unavoidable rehash, I thought it possessed enough "freshness" to hold my attention.

Ironically, I no longer listen to the Beatles only because I once loved them too much. :)

8. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

The reality is that The Beatles were equal parts youthful talent and skilled production on the part of Sir George Martin.

I bore witness to their rise and fall, and I feel strongly that what I say on those two points are very much, undeniably true.

Many decades later, The Beatles are, at this point in history, equal parts
    * well-re-recorded and packaged products regarding that youthful talent
    * extensible-marketed products owing much to the skilled production on the part of Sir George Martin
    * hype
    * hyperbole
    * myth
    * mythology
    * romantic, fuzzy memories
    and,
    * slick, continuous, non-stop marketing on the part of corporate shareholders to the various fragments of the Apple brand, The Beatles brand, and the surviving family members business managers and lawyers.

Anybody who either loves or hates The Beatles are entitled to their feelings and opinions.

But, in general, it all comes down to feelings and opinions.
    Each year further and further removed from the reality of the truth of The Beatles.

:oops:

carpenter and Jensen like this.
  9. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

I take Paul for granted. Always been a Lennon guy. But you're right something just won't be right it he were to leave this earth.

I feel like their music has a way of wrapping itself around your memories. I spent a long time listening to their albums as a kid.

Thanks for the info.

DHart, Bill B, Double Stop and 2 others like this.
  10. TelEBaby123

TelEBaby123 TDPRI Member

Watching the documentary right now. If people believe that The Beatles were just a Rock n Roll band or even just a Pop band you are all wrong they border on Genius!!!

DHart, RyCo1983 and goonie like this.
  11. TelEBaby123

TelEBaby123 TDPRI Member

I tear up when I think of them passing away it is like losing a part of myself. I was born in 1972 and they were already broke up and that is how strong their influence was on my life...

DHart and Double Stop like this.
  12. TelEBaby123

TelEBaby123 TDPRI Member

Relax! Paul was in the room. Lol;)

13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

When I was a kid I never thought the Beatles were playing to me, they seemed to have crowds of manic teenagers mobbing them where ever they appeared , they were playing to them

... then we raced home after school to watch the Beatles cartoon show on TV, that's where I became familiar with a lot more of their tracks..and the dry humour...

later on at highschool we started to listen/buy the lp's as they came out, the later stuff, they seemed to be playing to us then...it was our time.

When the rooftop concert came around and the break up... we moved on, there were so many great bands following in their wake...we never listened to the Beatles after that. Not because we stopped liking the music, because we moved on...

I could fully sympathise with them for calling it quits after all they had been through....good on them. They never owed it to us to keep going. I never cried about it, none of my friends did either...

Crowcaster likes this.
  14. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Not liking the beatles just shows good taste and class. Period.

Danb541 likes this.
  15. Jensen

Jensen TDPRI Member

True. However I care a lot more about music than "popular music". An awful lot of popular music is not very interesting or ground breaking with regard to the actual music of it.

16. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

There's a fair amount of vitriol against all artists - you can't like everyone. Music divides people. Sounds sounds irritate some people.

Me, I can't stand the Beatles. But I do love music documentaries. So I'd probably enjoy the programme.

I've read and enjoyed several books on the Beatles. They haven't sent me back to the music. But that doesn't matter.

It's okay not to like the Beatles, or anyone else for that matter.

El Marin, TelEBaby123 and NC E30 like this.
  17. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Oh right the guy who dismissed them as a 'boy band'. Or maybe it was 'the original boy band'. Whatever, anyone with a passing knowledge of musical history would know that the key defining elements of a boy band are (a)they are 'manufactured' in the sense that a manager creates the band; (b) they sing songs written for them; and (c)they don't play instruments on their recordings.

The Beatles, of course, meet none of the above criteria, not even a little bit. Two of them are among the greatest pop/rock songwriters of all time.

Looking forward to seeing the series.

18. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

haha in Rubin's defence he is a music lover and historian, and smart enough to know that the Beatles' influence on popular music was immense and their legacy almost impossible to measure ... unlike some of the posters here who attribute their fame to clever marketing and slick production. Seriously...

19. Jensen

Jensen TDPRI Member

Personally I don't feel any hate. I have never been a fan but musicians I like have been inspired by them. Like many other things in this world sometimes a lot more than pure talent is involved in creating mythological ideas about pure human beeings, and I stringly dislike that.

Some people are put in boxed where everything about them seems to be interpreted in the best way possible and they get more than their fair share. That is very tiresome.

20. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Meister

Regarding the mournful day... I was reminded of an old Cracked -article(link below) and this comment regarding Sir Paul: "I get it, he's the last living Beatle[.] Yes, I do know Ringo is still alive. What's your next question?". Personally, do I think Ringo is as prolific a producer of Beatles content as Sir Paul? Lord, no! It just feels like he gets overlooked more than he deserves.

https://www.cracked.com/blog/6-famous-musicians-who-need-to-retire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.