Come full circle to needing a Tube Screamer again..

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
The TS mini’s are cheap, sound like proper tube screamers, and since you can’t get much for them used you’ll hang on to it. They don’t collect much dust either cause they’re small. Win win!
The Pedal Show boys liked them after their ts test if that mean anything to you.

Last edited:

8bit

Tele-Meister
May not be what you're looking for but just wanted to mention the Joyo Vintage Overdrive is $27.99 right now. Some people say they don't sound exactly like a TS. But IDK, to me it definitely does the TS "thing" and is dirt cheap. Does it well enough that I've never felt the need to "upgrade" in the 3 or 4 years I've had mine. And I'm not someone who is afraid to spend money on pedals. 😂

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
If you want to try a cheap mini. I have the Donner Blues Drive, and it's pretty good. Not 100% like a TS because it doesn't do the quirky bleed through thing, but it sounds almost identical. And no, it's not a Blues Driver clone, which everyone seems to erroneously assume because of the name, but it's 100% in the TS camp.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Get the TS9DX. It had 4 TS modes on it, but the best is the "turbo" mode. Big and full ....not all nasal mids. Like a Marshall stack at reasonable volumes!
Been using one 15 years and no matter what I buy, it always stays on the board along with others that come and go.

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Mini's good, sturdy & decently priced.

Biggest difference (well, other than the size) Mini is true bypass. So if you need a buffer there, consider something else.

Tmcqtele65

Tele-Meister
If you're not averse to a kit, the BYOC Classic Overdrive is an 808 Tube Screamer, fairly easy to build, and currently $65. Mine was a fun one-afternoon project. It ships with the parts to make several minor modifications if you want, all to your own taste. I'm very pleased with mine.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
You’re going to get as many recommendations as there are Tube Screamers lol.

The mini is great. I’ll recommend it.

However, many people, myself included, prefer the Boss SD-1. The Waza version is my favorite. Worth considering as an alternative.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I need a Tube Screamer. Any suggestions? Bonsai? Are the TS Minis any good?

However, many people, myself included, prefer the Boss SD-1. The Waza version is my favorite. Worth considering as an alternative.

If you want smoother, less aggressive, stock TS-9 or mini is a great choice. I am not in the SD-1 camp, it uses asymmetrical clipping so not quite as smooth.

If you are in the SD-1 camp, I'd suggest the MXR Custom Modified Badass Overdrive. I think its just a better version of the SD-1 and feels a little smoother.

For green, I also like the MXR GT-OD - nice variation on a theme.

like D_Malone said, you'll get as many recommendations as there are variations.

NWinther

Friend of Leo's
Use a Maxon 808X....very useful version.
I had the 808 and the TS-9, plus the now idiotically expensive TS-10.
I like the X the best, it has a good range and can go from sweet to more open tones.

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
My EHX East River Drive is screamer-ish, but not quite a completely different thing. I am very happy with it, whatever it is. It runs just in front of my Timmy in the chain.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
I have a Mooer Green Mile.
I only bought it because I didn't have a TS type pedal!!!
Use it all the time now into my TMDR, Vox MV50 & Orange Tiny Terror.
If the Ibanez TS mini is even better I would consider one.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
May not be what you're looking for but just wanted to mention the Joyo Vintage Overdrive is $27.99 right now. Some people say they don't sound exactly like a TS. But IDK, to me it definitely does the TS "thing" and is dirt cheap. Does it well enough that I've never felt the need to "upgrade" in the 3 or 4 years I've had mine. And I'm not someone who is afraid to spend money on pedals. 😂
I can't put my finger on it...

( although I know part of it is that a) I still like OD pedals that take a battery> grab and go for a jam w/o board, and b) I love MXR-sized/layout style pedals)
...but my Joyo Vintage OD is a great-sounding Tube Screamer.
As I do not use a TS ( as main OD, for years now), ver years, I sold off all the Tube Screamers ( TS-9's and cheaper clones) I had used with my BF/SF Fenders amps ( also sold)

So 2 years ago, I decided to get the Joyo to stack ( occasionally) with my other OD's. Plus I was just curious to hear it.

I like it a lot, and just as before, I actually also like using a TS at higher Drive settings than most folks do- but I always liked the grainy crunch of a distorted TS.

wineocaster

TDPRI Member
Wampler Clarksdale Delta Overdrive. Has a three band EQ and has a more useable gain sweep. It cleans up better than a typical TS and has a bit more gain on tap without the fizziness of a typical TS.

TeleBackelaer

Tele-Meister
This. I have one. Compared it side by side with a ts9 on multiple occasions and couldn't hear a difference whatsoever.

Of course there was the usual difference in pot tolerances but that's just a matter of having to dial em in different. I could get either pedal to sound exactly like the other.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
This is what I use for dirt: ModTone "Dirty Duo."
Two kinds of OD in one box - and you can stack 'em.
On the right, there's a tube screamer clone that sounds great.
On the left, there's a more potent brew for harder rock.
ModTone is out of business, but you can find pristeen examples on Reverb for around $100.
1669678653682.png