Come As You Are vs Eighties

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Whatizitman, May 23, 2020.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

yes! among other things. I just wasn't pretty enough and couldn't play shred guitar. hair metal seemed so very elitist and I wasn't the elite, therefore I wanted to burn it down. so I was glad when it went under.

Fretting out likes this.
  2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Discussion. Thank you for your input.

3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I'm not TB, but I never got the appeal of men in drag playing bubblegum pop songs with can-of-bees guitar tone and aimless shredding. Guns 'n' Roses deserves a lot of credit for killing that music, too- I don't know how well middle America would have accepted Nirvana without GnR as an intermediate step.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

As a hack songwriter, it's not unusual for me to realize after the fact that I've pretty much lifted or very directly quoted a specific riff from some pre-existing work.

And when I find this, if it's not like, something that's very commonly heard repeated in say traditional blues, country or AC/DC songs :), I'll change that part, post-haste.

Obviously other songwriters, including people who've made piles of money at it, don't feel the need to do this

But i don't really see how they can claim integrity in doing so

zeppelin and beetles are pretty notorious for this kind of stealing

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    985plowboy likes this.
  5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I’d never heard the tune “80’s” before, but yes it it really similar to the Nirvana tune.

Much closer than Ray Parker Jr’s “Ghostbusters” is to Huey Lewis’ “I want a new drug” yet Huey won in court.

Whatizitman likes this.
  6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

...but as far as spandex, i could never get the cucumber to stay in place. I finally just gave up. there were some embarrassing incidents.

Fretting out likes this.
  7. Mikecito

Mikecito Tele-Meister

Just glad I clicked this thread to hear The Dammed Life goes on. How did I miss them back in the day? That's what my 80s "college" band was trying to sound like.

Nirvana disrupted the scene for sure. Not just hair metal. Anything fun and polished with chops and style seemed not cool anymore... And the audience got uglier

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That is interesting.

The Garden of Delight song and the Killing Joke song both came out in 1984, so it's hard to say which came first.

https://www.discogs.com/Garden-Of-Delight-22-Faces/release/940702

https://www.discogs.com/Killing-Joke-Eighties/master/16742

However. the Damned song came out in 1982 on the Strawberries album, so technically they could sue Killing Joke.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Damned-Strawberries/master/19069

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Garden of Delight came out a few months after the KJ’s Eighties. April vs October, according to this source.

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/garden-of-delight/22-faces-lilies-on-a-g-string/

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/killing-joke/eighties/

I’m betting GD was browsing the section of the record store KJ was found in, but only conjecture :)

10. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Or maybe they were Damned fans, except Phantasmagoria came out a year later, which was their definitive gothic album.

11. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

well i was once a huge nirvana fan and kurt knew he ripped eighties off and was worried about putting it on the album, killing joke then sued.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.