combo vs cab weight

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tm1303, Jul 28, 2016.

1. tm1303

tm1303 TDPRI Member

Hi all,

Was looking at replacing my combo with a head/cab set up, in part to save my bad back.

My assumption was that, although they would definitely weight more together, the two individual parts of a head/cab set up would each weight less than a combo. So although i would be lugging more weight in total, I could split the effort.

So, maybe... Combo@30lb vs Head@15lb + Cab@20lb

This seems sensible to me.

But. Looking at the Egnater Tweaker (which is pretty high up my want-list) the combo is listed at 30lb, but the cab is apparently 45lb! Surely the cab is just the combo with the electronics removed? (I know this is an oversimplification, but surely!)

Can anyone explain (either specifically for the Tweaker or more generally) how the cab ends up weighing more than the combo?? It seems really un-intuitive o_O

Ta.

2. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Different wood, and dimensionally, possibly larger than a combo.

3. tm1303

tm1303 TDPRI Member

I dunno, the tweaker combo and the tweaker cab are the same material.

http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterProducts/Tweaker/Tweaker112/Tweaker112.html
    http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterProducts/Tweaker/TweakerCabinets/Tweaker112x.html

What I didn't notice before was the size difference, the cab is a fair bit bigger, but I can't believe that would account for 50% extra weight?

Especially as the 2x12 cab is listed as only 1lb heavier than the 1x12 cab.

http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterProducts/Tweaker/TweakerCabinets/Tweaker212x.html

I smell a rat, might contact Eganter customer support to verify weights.

4. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I didn't check your links (I'm lazy), but while you mentioned the outer dimensions, did those specs indicate the thickness?

5. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Also, exact same speakers in the combos and cabs?

6. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

That is kind of weird that the combo is lighter than the 112 cab by itself...
    45lbs sounds about right for a 212 cabinet though, maybe even a little on the light side.

7. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    It's funny, I actually went the opposite direction on two of my amps... BF Bassman and a BF Tremolux. Both are now in 1X12 solid pine combo cabs and love them much better this way... a good cab made our of pine is really light, so the combos with only 1 12" speakers are really easy and light to carry. I would never go back to the to the head/speaker cab version.

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I did that. Picked up 2 heads. Have a light ibanez 12 all white bottom. Light as heck. Also a Winfield bottom..
    Nice..heads less than 15lb 17 to 15 watters.....and bottoms around 20lb..super ultra light

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.