Combo as speaker cab?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mr Gunny, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny TDPRI Member

I’m zeroing in on a new amp, probably going to grab a dark terror. I mostly play through a hybrid combo amp right now with a vintage 30 in it. Until I get a dedicated cab for the new amp, can I just unplug the speaker from my combo and plug it into the new amp? Assuming ohms match etc.

2. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

sure

3. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny TDPRI Member

Thanks, I figured but just wanted to double check.

4. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

And you might want to keep it that way for some time, I mean you keep the combo as a backup/practice, save space and don’t have to buy a >300$ Cab with the same speaker in it... though orange cabs cabs look cool! ;)

Si G X likes this.
  5. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

also "can I just unplug the speaker from my combo and plug it into the new amp?"

I guess the answer should be "That depends on the amp" as some combos are more of an internally wired affair where as my Marshall combo has the internal speaker on a jack, so it is 'just' a case of unplugging it and putting it in the back of the head. Then the cable might not be long enough to reach, so there are situations where it might not be just a case of plugging it in, but there's no reason why you shouldn't do it, put it that way.

6. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny TDPRI Member

That’s how mine is setup too, the internal speaker just plugs directly into the back of the amp right now. The cable is definitely a little short but I should be able to just set the lunchbox head behind the combo for now I’m thinking.

Si G X likes this.
  7. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

yeah, I did presume by the way you asked the question ... but then I remembered it wasn't good to presume anything. ;)

yup, there's ways around it, I made a little connection box that joins 2 speaker cables together, it's just a small box with a couple of good quality jack sockets and some beefy wiring between the too. I have a little 5w head I use sometimes with mine at home, so that was my solution.

8. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny TDPRI Member

Awesome, I’ll have to look into that, thanks!

9. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

If you can solder you can make a longer speaker cable too (note that a speaker cable can be made with any kind of electrical wire).

10. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny TDPRI Member

My soldering skill level is definitely amateur but I’ve replaced pickups and an output jack so I would be open to trying it myself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.