Combining kits into a double pedal

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Okieactor, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

I’m wanting to create my own double pedal, kind of like the Jekyll and Hyde or JHS double barrel.

I am thinking about taking a couple of byoc kits or a couple pedalpcb builds and putting them in a larger enclosure together.

If I did this, A) Would it work? And B) would it be better to chain the power together or keep 2 separate plugs? I’d prefer one plug, but wonder about noise.

FWIW, OCD/plumes would probably be my first attempt, but I also think something with the XTS Atomic could be amazing.

2. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Afflicted

I like the idea, though I have no clue how to answer your questions. Sorry.

Okieactor likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Before the days of "the Bradshaw box," custom pedalboards were built exactly like you're describing. The player and builder discussed effects order and the builder took the guts from pedals and installed them into a custom enclosure.

Build it up and have the power connections for each pedal on flying leads so you can run a test to see whether parallelling the power supply will work nice and quietly. If it works fine, use one power jack and run four wires from it so the pedals are in parallel.

Consider an 'order' switch that allows you to flip the order of the effects in your signal chain. Several makers do this--such as the Wampler Dual Fusion. It's a cool option and does make a difference in how the efffects sound when both are engaged.

Okieactor likes this.
  4. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I’ve built a few double pedals. I use a 1590BB enclosure, but I don’t think that will physically work for most kit builds. You might be better off using a strip-board layout and wire your pots and switches off board.

Okieactor likes this.
  5. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Holic

Yes, it should work fine. You're probably OK with one power jack for both circuits, I've done it many times.

Okieactor likes this.
  6. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

it works just fine and people do it all the time. mosey on over to a place like madbean's site and you'll see tons of examples in the build reports.

Okieactor likes this.
  7. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

It's dirt simple to do, though I don't see any advantage whatsoever beyond saving a little space, two jacks, and one power connector. I'd rather be able to swap out one or the other pedals than to be stuck with the pair. But if you have two that you're really using frequently and long term, great. And it is a lot of fun to paint enclosures, really, though most people overdo this into something tacky and ugly. But if you have some visual judgment, outdoing the pedal companies visually is not hard.

Okieactor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.