Combining 2 different-sized speakers in 1 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Duotone, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Duotone

Duotone TDPRI Member

I’m going to order an custom-made, open-back speaker cabinet for a 12” speaker and I wonder if it might be a good idea to have an extra 10” speaker hole for adding a second speaker in the future, to switch between them or using them simultaneously.

The reason is that the single cab would take up less space that having 2 separate cabinets.

I now wonder if strange tonal anomalies will happen as long as the second sound hole is not used or when just one of two speakers is in use.

Does anybody have some experience which he might share?

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Like a Gibson GA50 1x12 and 1x8

gibso_ga50t.jpg

dr_tom, Duotone and FenderLover like this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

There's no reason you can't mix them, but impedance should match, and choose speakers of about the same efficiency. Otherwise one will overwhelm the other.

Thin69 and Duotone like this.
  4. Duotone

Duotone TDPRI Member

Hi, thanks for your replies! Yeah, I need to figure out the right combination of speaker impedance and wiring schematic.

Meanwhile, I found a really informative video about tonal differences when not all speakers are installed vs. the standard, full configuration of closed and open back cabinets:

5. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I would imagine that mixing the sizes of a pair of speakers could be a good thing. Why not also consider mixing magnet types? Say on the 12 inch, Alnico and a 10 inch, Ceramic or vice versa. (Or is the second speaker an 8 inch?)

6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I made a Bandmaster Reverb into a combo amp years ago, I used one 10" and one 12" Eminence alnico speakers and it was a good blend, really don't know why I sold that amp .....
    Some folks do mix alnico and ceramic speakers too, no experience with trying that.

7. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

I picked up a 1x12 open backed cab made by Zilla that came with a second baffle with a 10 and 12 in it I put some curious wiring in on a champ using a stereo jack that allowed an 8 ohm 10" to be in series with the combo speaker with a 16 ohm 12" in parallel so the overall load to the amp was still maintained at 8 ohms

Worked really well

IMG_0504.JPG

Duotone likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.