Columbo! (Do you watch,which is your favorite)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Feb 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My favorite episode was "Now you see him" with the late great Jack Cassidy.

BTW I was driving around in Peekskill NY last year and saw a street sign for "Peter Falk Place". Apparently he grew up there.

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not to take anything away from Falk, but a lot of those quirky things that he did wasn't due to acting skill. For example, he used to take long pauses and look around (mostly down) before speaking. It provided some great dramatic tension, but he did that because he had a lot of trouble remembering his lines so they used to place cue cards on the floor during the scenes.

I did like the show, but I too was a bigger fan of "The Rockford Files".

3. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

https://columbophile.com/2019/02/21/full-episode-columbo-swan-song/

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

i like Columbo but if i`m picking favorite detectives i`ll have to choose
    Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes or Maury Chaykin as Nero Wolfe

5. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

3 or 4 years ago, I started watching columbo. what is strange to me is that I watched it back in the 70s and liked the show, but when I started watching it again, I could not remember ever seeing any of those episodes! I didn't like many of the detective shows back then, but columbo was a cut above, to me. a very likable character.

my favorite episode is the one that takes place in a think tank institution. there's a boy genius with a robot and a bunch of 74 chevelles that run on natural gas. columbo solves the crime by finding a piece of the victim's pipe. the solving of the crime lacks any credibility at all, but pretty much all of his solutions are that way. I don't watch columbo for forensic veracity, I watch it cause I love the character.

my favorites are the ones with Dog in them.

Fretting out and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  6. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

7. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

This is awesome that someone shares my columbo passion, I recently got the dvd’s But have already seen them all
    I’d have to say Any old Port in a Storm is my favorite also with Short Fuse being a close second
    I also like all the jack Cassidy episodes and for some reason obsessively watch the “smoking” one with George Hamilton I guess i like George because it’s like watching a fine peace of beef age, and the shatner episodes are always good,

Heck all of em are pretty good I like when you get a glimpse of his dog poor thing never did have a proper name

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    thunderbyrd and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  8. Fretting out

A good goofy movie with him in it is “Murder by Death”
    It’s kind of a classic to me also has a good cast of other people like Elsa lanchester who played the female monster in bride of Frankenstein ,Peter sellers and a small role by Truman capote

urbandefault likes this.
  9. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I have series 1 to 9 on dvd. Every time we go to our French house, where we don't have TV, we take a series picked at random to watch on my laptop. We usually start to watch at around 10pm, and my wife will insist on watching at least 3, despite the fact that she will sleep through part of each!

10. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I loved the badgering of the murderer. He just wore them down. "Oh yeah, the reason I came by..."

Sometimes he would start a conversation by saying he had some news about some particular development, but then he would go off and ramble about his wife. Meanwhile, the murderer is sweating it, not knowing what the investigation had learned. Columbo keeps talking off-topic, until the killer cuts him off, saying "You had some news about the case?"

In one of the later episodes of the 70s, I think, Columbo revealed to the killer that one of the tells of a guilty suspect is when they argue or shoot down theories. All in the guise of the killer acting like he is helping, when in fact it is misdirection.

Falk was friends with Cassavetes. They had a very good chemistry and worked well together. In the episode where he plays a conductor, Falk is badgering him and takes a step closer to him. Cassavetes stands in place, but pulls his head back a little. It had a nice rhythm to it. Shows what pros they were about acting. They co-starred in the Elaine May classic, Mikey and Nicky.

My girlfriend used to see him in the dining room of the Chicago Art Institute. She wasn't sure if he was taking classes, studying privately, or just had a studio in the building.

11. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

They're being repeated here on Sundays - often a double / triple bill. They're very entertaining and I've seen all the episodes many times, but it's always puzzled me how they got away with the formula for so long; viewer knows whodunit right from the deed / Columbo instinctively knows the same (and rarely suspects anyone else) / perp makes one rookie mistake after another (like pointedly asking people the time while establishing an alibi / being overly 'helpful' to Columbo).

I love the episodes with Patrick McGoohan, hamming it up superbly as the baddie - notice how he usually gets to say 'Be seeing you.' (often several times in one episode), which was his signature line in 'The Prisoner'. Maybe it was in his contract that he got to say it? :lol:

2 Headed Goat and Fretting out like this.
  12. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Watch him regularly on Cozi TV now...

13. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

Mrs. Steerforth, who wasn’t even born yet when the show started, is a serious Columbo fan. She found a huge box set on disc on Amazon and bought it. I don’t know if we have every episode or not, but we have a lot of Columbo.

If I leave the room and remember something that I wanted to say before I go through the door, I always stop, turn back absentmindedly and say, “Oh, uh, one more thing, ma’am...” in my best Columbo voice. It never fails to produce a big smile.

She likes detective stories in general, books, movies, and TV shows. Being quite a bit younger than me, and from another country, she’s unaware of many of the old detective shows.

Maybe I should tell her about Mannix, Cannon, Kojak, The Rockford Files, and all the shows that I’ve forgotten to mention. That will cause her to say what she always says at times like that, “You’ve known about this for all these years and didn’t bother to tell me?”

But she’ll be delighted to find out about all those classic detective shows after I explain that it didn’t occur to me to mention them until now.

14. Fretting out

I like some of the newer episodes too I have a mystery about a columbo episode you might be able to help me out with i think it’s one of the later one “Strange bedfellows” with Norm from cheers I can’t figure out his motive for murdering his brother
    His brother would have been out of debt and free of trouble if the horse won the race yet norm dopes the horse so it loses which forces him to kill his brother and Romano, I Don get why he didn’t just let the horse win, did he have insurance on his brother and use that to save the farm? Did he gain anything from it? Was it so he wouldn’t have to bail his brother out again if he got in trouble again? Was there ransom of some sort to pay Romano that he kept?(maybe this is it)
    I’ve watched it many times and it keeps going over my head and it know it’s probably something simple

Thanks if you know

15. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I like the show, but the long run time tended to make the show slow and bloated, and Columbo's rhythms became as predictable as a Catholic mass.

Best episode -- Jack Cassidy at the Magic Castle!

RoyBGood likes this.
  16. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Love Columbo. Wouldn't say I have a particular favorite though.
    You may find you also enjoy The Mentalist. There are a lot of subtle similarities, albeit the main character is a good bit more arrogant and less self-effacing.

17. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

All the killers either looked like Leslie Nielsen or a young Carol Burnett.

Milspec likes this.
  18. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Haven't watched a Columbo in many decades. But I remember liking the episode where a member of a Mensa group kills another member. SPOILER ALERT: If I recall correctly, the story ends with the confessed killer asking Columbo if he ever had his IQ tested.

PS I'd be interested to watch again and see if it still holds up.

Fretting out likes this.
  19. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I always liked the way he would be half to his car , think about something, and turn around
    and say, oh, one more thing....

Fretting out likes this.
  20. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

It plays on Sunday nights now on MeTV, and I watch it regularly.

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.