Colour Box Review

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Snowwizard, Jul 22, 2014.

1. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    It's fine to believe that. Honestly it is. Just as it's equally fine for others to not believe that.

We don't care about the company or the product, we care that members were being hounded for believing something different. That's unacceptable and the impetus for all of this discussion.

2. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I think that attributing motives to people we don't know is tricky at best, and can lead to errors even when we think we have a handle on what's driving them. Sometimes we just like a product and that enthusiasm comes out in our posts. Heck, we're all that way about Telecasters here.

On another website I once wrote how much I really, really liked a Fender Bullet Squier Strat compared to far more expensive Fender Strats in the store that day, and that the only one I liked about as well was a Custom Shop model.

Someone suggested I was being paid for this by Fender.

I had to tactfully explain to the poster that Fender isn't in the habit of paying people to extol their $70 model over their $2500 one.

3. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

Hahahaha :) !!!!

4. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry but I really feel that this pedal is way too expensive for what you get. Joe Meek makes something similar that does the same thing for less money. If of going to spend close to $400 i'd rather spend it on a quality interface with my computer. But that's just me.

And just to be clear I'm not making any negative comments about JHS. It's just I can't see the point in spending that much money on a pedal that something less expensive can just as good.

5. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

That's a fair comment. The price point makes this pedal less that a "cut and dry must have." But that doesn't mean it's not awesome.

I looked at the JoeMeek pedal. Cool stuff. I see the similarities. But it's not really the same, also it cost more, does less and takes up more floor space. But cool stuff

6. Meshgearfox

Meshgearfox Tele-Meister

If you are referring to the Joe Meek gbQ, most dealers have listed $40 lower than the Colour Box ($359 vs $399). In terms of knobs, switches, inputs and outputs the gbQ would also seem to do more, not less. Essentially, you give up the xlr input and gain an fx loop, headphone amp and separate switching of the gain and eq sections.

7. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I couldn't care less anymore about the JHS 'controversy'. I have a Superbolt and think it's one of the coolest ODs out there.

As far as channel strips in a pedal goes - ?
    Just for comparison ...

Chandler has been putting their two 500 series pres in stomp boxes for several years now. *Though marketed for 'guitar players', both of these do sound and react like the pre section on a channel strip rather than OD pedals. I have used both the Germ drive 500 rack as well as the 'pedal' version. The pedal is actually more versatile than the rack version. They 'street' for around $350 all in.

http://chandlerlimited.com/germ-500-mkii-pre-amp/ ... into this ...
    http://chandlerlimited.com/germanium-drive/ ... and this ...
    http://chandlerlimited.com/little-devil-pre-amp/ ... into this ...
    http://chandlerlimited.com/little-devil-colored-boost/

You do have choices.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  8. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Not to mention the distortion generator.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.