Colour Box Review

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Snowwizard, Jul 22, 2014.

1. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The parts where "I" becomes "we" do, somewhat at least. imo. Who is this "we"?

2. crizzly_bear

crizzly_bear Tele-Meister

Its sad that no one can genuinly love a product these days without people claiming it had to be a paid endorsement. Obviously since their opinion differs from yours they had to have been paid to say that. Not everyone cares about how ethical a company is.

3. waparker4

Sad but true :(

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This thread appeared just as JHS was getting stomped. Hmmm...

5. waparker4

What's that? :?:

6. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

My point was that the same "article" was posted on a web site that appears to be supported/sponsored by JHS..

http://thechurchcollective.com/tutorial/jhs-colour-box-review/

Hard to take his "supporters' seriously when they copy and paste their reviews from JHS.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The Mr Magic thread.

8. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

I'm a contributing writer for the Church Collective so I copied my review and edited out some of the church sound guy stuff that didn't seem relevant to this forum.

Did the Church Collective receive any money? We wish. It's a labor of love for a lot of guys. Did I get paid to endorse the Colour Box? Just how much do you think my endorsement is really worth? ;)

I really do wish my "say so" meant something. Josh could at least send me a pedal or something :) but sadly he hasn't.

9. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

In the sense that the Colour Box is trying to be a channel strip off of a vintage sound desk, then yes, it's a rip off :)

It's unique and original only that it's the first time (I've seen) in a stage ready, pedal format that won't cost you $1k or more.

10. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

That is an unfounded allegation against a company and against a fellow member. I won't bother defending the company, they can choose to take care of themselves if they want. But you are claiming that a member of this community blatantly conspired with a company to pretend to be an objective reviewer while all along being a secret paid endorser or colluding with the company on a secret agenda. Not cool.

By the way, a number of companies buy ads on tdpri.com. Does that mean that as a member if I write a positive a review for one of these company's products and post it in a thread here that I am automatically a company shill? You're right. I'm not. I get to express my opinion. It is reasonable for me to assume that is how it works at Church Collective. Writers can write what they want. Sponsors can pay (or cancel) their sponsorships. JHS likes how writers feel about them at Church Collective and wants to buy a sponsorship? Wow. How unethical.

11. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Do these threads remind anyone else of the story about Sisyphus?

It is easy to take offense, especially on the internet. So here is what I propose: put the best construction on what others say. I think it is probably against our nature to do so, but I think it makes your life, and the lives of everyone around you so much better.

Snowwizard, I know you said you focused more on live applications than studio, but what is the noise like on this? I ask because, unlike with guitar, I favor the sound of a bass plugged right into the board for recording.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  12. waparker4

I was thinking more the story of Prometheus, and the eagle that feeds eternally on his liver. :cool: ;)

13. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Ha! Prometheus. That's good. Maybe that is more appropriate: No good deed goes unpunished, right?

14. Meshgearfox

Meshgearfox Tele-Meister

It is one thing for Mr. Kirn to build Telecasters, something else entirely for him to claim to have invented the Telecaster. If i came to a forum looking for information about Ron Kirn's amazing new guitar and another member pointed out that there was a company called Fender that not only sold Teles for less money, but were the actual developers of the instrument, I don't see how that would qualify as an attack. What it does is give me more information, both about the products available to me and the nature of those builders. Posts about reliability, performance, customer service, charitable practices and a host of other topics seem to be allowed, why is this any different?

15. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

That's a great question. It can add noise if your not careful.What I found is that you've got to be in good communication with your sound man, especially with where he/she has the gain or trim set. If the board is running too hot you'll run into problems.

As for bass, it sounds great. Our guy really enjoyed it. I actually thought bass was were the pedal stood out the best, and acoustic the worst.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

+1. Also, I can look at a Kirn and tell it's "inspiration" immediately. Not so with a pedal, unless the name, graphics or sales materials disclose. IMO/YMMV. To me, The potential "off-the-rails" part comes in when two factions develop, each trying to convince the other what to do with that information and that they are right and the others are wrong - ain't gonna happen folks. I am sympathetic to JoeNeri's plea if that's the basis. But just sharing information? Seems fair to me, IMO.

17. waparker4

Who is "we"? Not trying to accuse you of anything, I just think if you are writing a personal review of a pedal, and you introduce "we" or "our guy" that you should disclose who you were talking about.. I'm assuming the guys in your worship band?

18. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    It isn't any different. If you posted that someone was a tool for liking his Ron Kirn T-Style and an immoral person for buying from such an immoral company then you'd have an analogy that reflects the problem we have here.

As I see it folks are not just saying XYZ is not the originator of that pedal but saying that XYZ is an immoral company and that anyone that buys their products is tainted with that immorality, as well. They are shouting down anyone with a positive view on XYZ's products - not adding helpful information.

19. waparker4

I think it is somewhat different. Which is why RK can't sell a guitar with the same headstock shape as a Fender guitar without getting sued, but I believe there is a gap in legal protection for someone who puts in the work and time creating an overdrive circuit which would be considered an innovation by a guitar player. imo

20. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

Fair question. The "we" is our bass player named Scott. Our sound guy Paul also really liked it... unless I used the CB as a fuzz... he doesn't like fuzz so much ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.