Colortone touch up marker - Aged Clear

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Telepirate86, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Telepirate86

Telepirate86 Tele-Meister

Anyone know if it would work well with this neck? Or should I go with vintage amber? Its a Classic Series 50s lacquer neck 0809201030.jpg

2. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Some pay extra for a guitar with a worn neck. IMO, I wouldn't do anything except play it more. I think you would be fighting a losing battle continually touching up the neck. Some might even say the touchup would negatively affect the tone. Enjoy your guitar but remember it's just a tool.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I use the Colortone lacquer pens for small touch ups but they aren't as easy or fool proof as you would like. They frequently leave blotchy looking finish and the finish is often uneven.

As far as your neck, I really can't see where you would want to use them. One of the big problems with lacquered maple necks is they wear and after a while look like hell. Short of refinishing (which will probably be done when you have yours refretted) I would just play it.

edit to add, the vintage amber really is amber. Fifty year old lacquer really turns color, the vintage stuff matches some of it. Yours is more the aged clear. You can also take a small amount of lacquer and tint it until you get the perfect match.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    3-Chord-Genius likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.