ColorTone stains, which brown?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Dimitree, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Dimitree

Dimitree TDPRI Member

I'd like to get a brown ColorTone liquid stain from Stewmac, I noticed they have several shades of brown, and I can't decide which one to get (I know, I should get more than one :-D).
    In your opinion, which one is the more versatile? I already have Vintage Amber, so maybe some of those brown shades can be get using a mix with Vintage Amber and some generic brown

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Tobacco Brown or their Medium Brown goes well with vintage amber.

I use their medium brown with the vintage amber to darken it up a little. Use sparingly.

Take your time when choosing and order a few if it will save on shipping etc. Those little bottles go a long way and will last years if you are just tinting necks or adding to tru oil or lacquer. Mixing with water to stain bodies and necks it goes a lot further. I must have done about 10 necks and 5 bodies now and the level in each bottle has barely dropped.

I thought they were too expensive when I ordered them about 9 years ago, now I wish i'd ordered a bunch more colors because they were cheaper back then and international shipping is as much as the cost of a bottle. 5 bottles would cost much the same to ship as one or two.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Vibrolux59 likes this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

These were all done with Colortone tobacco brown (and maybe vintage amber and cherry red). Different woods, in some cases the dye was mixed with DA and used as a stain, in other cases it was mixed with the lacquer and used as a tint.

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_4809.JPG

IMG_5626.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

I also mix it with red to stain mahogany necks to match rosewood or cocobolo on acoustics. I bought mine 12 or so years ago, it will out last me.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  4. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Man, the finish in that mandolin.
    If I did something that nice, I would hang up my spray guns because it just doesn’t get any better than that

5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Thank you. That was my "beginner's 'burst" - StewMac Colortone dyes dissolved in denatured alcohol hand rubbed on the bare wood (no sealer). Brown first over the entire back to pop the flame, sanded back, then the amber, red and brown to do the burst itself. Here is the spruce front

IMG_0236.JPG

6. Dimitree

Dimitree TDPRI Member

thank you, I just bought Tobacco Brown and Cherry Red, along with Vintage Amber, I should have many shades/mixes covered

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.