1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Colortone pigment alternative? Mixol?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by TheOutlaw, Jan 24, 2021.

1. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

while deciding what to buy the yellow pigment for nitro went out of stock at stewmac and everything that comes up on Google is still stewmac selling through another place like Amazon or eBay and is also out of stock.

Are there any other Alternatives besides mixol to consider?

2. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I use Transtint, but it's a dye compared to Mixol which is are pigmented stains.

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

4. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

TransTint honey/amber dye is what you want. A little goes a long way (1 drop per cup in the gun)

5. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

Are dyes and pigments interchangeable like that? I was under the impression dyes and pigments had separate uses?

If it matters I'm trying to replicate Colts butterscotch recipe from an old thread

6. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Transtint and Mixol are very different things. Stewmac sells dye and pigment as colortone and they are not the same thing either.

If you are going for a transparent tint, then Tanstint is what you want. If your goal is a semi opaque or opaque color, then Mixol is the way to go. You can easily do semi transparent or semi opaque finish with Mixol, or you can combine Transtint with Mixol.

Just saw your last post. You definitely need both Transtint and mixol for butterscotch.

7. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

So you're saying I can substitute and use the yellow mixol in place of the yellow colortone pigment in Colts recipe?

8. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I have not made his recipe, but yes, I would say that you can swap the mixol for colortone. They are both pigments and work the same way. You can also substitute Homestead Transtint dye for the StewMac dye. If you use Honey Amber dye, vs Amber, you probably don't need as much yellow pigment as the Honey Amber has a yellow tint to it.

I've used Mixol a lot, its a great product. I think the recipe you linked also used brown pigment.

9. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

I'll have to get ready and order the yellow mixol before that goes out of stock too. I already ordered the others but figured I'd wait to be sure before ordering something else to use for yellow 20210125_130818.jpg

10. Stratified

Stratified Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mixol is great for this application. I don't know for sure, but I think Mixol is the maker of Colortone pigment (private label for Stewmac), as I believe Transtint is for the Colortone dye.

I started with Colt's recipe, then used some creativity (to some, too much). I used Mixol yellow, white and red (ratio: plenty/some/a drop) and Transtint amber and brown (ratio: a few drops to one drop) in shellac. I did want plenty of grain showing, and I did succeed there. Wiped on with no pore fill cause that's the effect I wanted. In some light, it looks more yellow than I planned, but I still like the result. Sorry I don't have the exact recipe; I figured I'd just remember it, but it didn't take long to realize that was a bad idea.

Good luck, and post pics when you finish!

11. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Holy ****, I made that when I was still in grad school.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.