Colorado Mile High Tele Club.

Discussion in 'US Member Clubs' started by gitold, Feb 28, 2013.

1. fenderfan

fenderfan Tele-Afflicted

Vintage cars and twang...the Royal Aces surf band will be at the Golden Super Cruise this Saturday, June 2, from 3 to 6 pm. We'll be out on the big King Sooper parking lot on South Golden Road. super cruise1.jpg

2. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

I just now found this thread, I'm getting back into guitar after not picking one up for years. I have a couple of strats and my first tele is on the way, nothing fancy, just a surf green bullet. I'm in Littleton.

3. fenderfan

fenderfan Tele-Afflicted

Sufin' into the Englewood Tavern. First time for the Royal Aces to be playing at this cool, historic neighborhood bar, at 4386 South Broadway. Saturday June 9, from 8 to 11 pm.
    englewood tavern1.jpg

4. fenderfan

fenderfan Tele-Afflicted

It's the Sand In The City beach party in Arvada, this Saturday, June 23 and Sunday, June 24. Only $5 admission with lots of music, food, vendors, kids activities, etc. On Saturday, the Royal Aces surf band will provide the twang and reverb from 10 am to noon. 64th and Simms.
    Sand-in-the-City-Logo_350px.jpg

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I forgot about this thread. What's up, homies? Is anyone other then the Royal Aces out playing? The Colorado Green Band will be out playing in September. We're trying to do some recording and get more gigs. We have a slew of new original songs and some new covers.

That's my news. What's yours?

6. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

No news here, but curious if any of you fine folks know of anyone in Colorado with an Allen Accomplice or Accomplice Jr? I’m interested in purchasing one direct from Allen, but I’d love to play through one first. I’d happily supply a 6-pk of the owner’s favorite malted beverage to try his/her amp. Thanks!

7. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Tele-Meister

Greetings from the Four Corners of SW Colorado, Dolores to be exact. Any members in my area?

8. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc Tele-Holic

Has anyone been to the blues jam at Rockabillys on a Sunday nights?

I’m getting back into playing again, after my accident, and wanted to know if it is friendly or competitive?

I’ve built a few beautiful blackguards this year including a mid 1950 Esquire sans truss rod, a Keef style Micawber, a late 51 style relic and a pine Esquire w/one pickup. I don’t know how to post pics anymore that photobucket died or I’d show them off.

I still wind pickups and do Tele sets, set up for 4 way switching, for well under $100. No ice pick guarantee! Sorry Albert Collins. *grins*

9. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Sounds like the same old Sunday Blues Jam they used to host at Ziggies Scott. Probably still a sign up sheet to sit in for a few numbers. Helps to get to know who the regulars are.

I'd be up for checking it out with you if you like. PM me or send me an email.

10. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Haven’t been able to make it in a month or two but you will recognize a lot of the faces from the old Ziggies/The Rusty Bucket crew. Doc Brown is still there every other week with other hosts rotating in like Randall Dubis or Eddie Turner. Carla just handed over running it to Doc. I think they removed the Ziggies reference from the jam’s title. It’s now simply called The Mile High Blues Society Blues Jam. It still gets loud and gratuitous at times but the atmosphere has usually been welcoming and forgiving in my experiences. It wouldn’t be a blues jam without a few crotchety ol’ fellas sitting around a bar complaining but I wouldn’t call it cut throat. You can almost always bet that my buddy Greg is going to be the first guitarist to sign up on the list and he is going to be playing the hell out of one of his Teles. From what I hear the list has been filling up kinda fast lately, too. I’ve had friends tell me they showed up at 7 to sign up, and don’t get on stage til 10 (ends at 11) simply cuz of how many players are on the list. The food is pretty decent for a sports bar but the kitchen closes at 9.

soulman969 likes this.
  11. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

MHBS Poster.jpg

Talk about timely! Here is Doc's new poster. I am pretty sure it is Doc, Mark and Milt hosting this weekend.

12. thesjkexperienc

Doc Brown owns a Gunbarrel guitar :)

I’ll be ready once ski season is over mid April. I haven’t played much since my accident and I’m losing the feeling in my fingertips so I just hope to avoid total embarrasment lol. I am really liking the GHS 9.5-44 strings on a Tele. Converted one of the first blackguards I made to a 1951 era Esquire and wow!

Let it snow x3

13. thesjkexperienc

Thanks Paul! Thanks Bergy!

14. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Anyone in the Colorado Springs area interested in getting together to jam a bit on weekends? I play guitar. I’d enjoy working with a singer and whatever instruments anyone plays. Acoustic or electric environment is fine. Rock/country/blues/originals. PM me

horax likes this.
  15. fenderfan

fenderfan Tele-Afflicted

Cerebral Brewing Company Tiki Party, with the Royal Aces surf band! Saturday, August 10, at 1477 Monroe St., Denver.

The event takes place from noon until 8 pm, and the Royal Aces will play from 3 to 7 pm. From the Cerebral Brewing page: "We've taken it upon ourselves to transform our humble parking lot into a tropical refuge of vibrant color and gloriously tacky tiki decorations. It will be a hidden retreat of inflatable pools, lounge chairs, umbrella beer drinks, misters, the sweet sounds of surf rock, and beer! Bring your bikini and best aloha shirt and meet us at the tiki bar"
    [​IMG]

16. Honga Man

Honga Man Tele-Afflicted

Howdy gents. Some of you might remember me from the jams at gitold's house a few years back. I'm glad to see the Royal Aces are still rockin' the city and I hope everyone is healthy and happy.

Who do you guys recommend for good guitar setups in the metro area these days? The south metro area is better for me, but I can travel. I'm looking to pay for professional-quality work that I don't feel comfortable attempting.

I want to have a couple nuts made for electric guitar necks that I've been meaning to have done for literally years for intonation and tuning reasons.

I also have a wiring project on an obscure '80s MIJ Fender bass with two pickups, Volume, Volume, a Fender TBX Tone pot, and a three-way pickup selector switch. And, even worse for this shoddy solderer, everything connects to the back of the pickguard like a Strat. It needs a complete re-wire and that's not a project I want to tackle. I can wire up a Telecaster, but I'd like to hire an expert with a soldering iron who understands what wires need to go where and why.

I wish I could remember the name of the tech who used to work at Acoustic Music Revival on S. Broadway near Hampden in Englewood. He made a bone nut for my Telecaster quite a few years ago. Then he left that shop and later the shop shut down. I'd go to him again if he's still working around town, but I can't remember his name.

As for me, if anyone cares, I've barely touched a guitar for probably two years or more. I used to love playing guitar and bass at jams and in bands a long time ago but I just don't make the time anymore. Long commute to work, family stuff, household chores, etc. You guys know the drill, I'm sure.

While I haven't been playing at all, my kids have gotten into music. Our daughter is playing clarinet in the school band and Santa brought her a pretty decent Yamaha acoustic with a solid top for Christmas and we've been going to have guitar lessons "soon", but I haven't made it a priority. Shame on me. I was pleased to see that Yamaha still makes nice guitars at reasonable prices.

And my son, with no input from me, asked to take drum lessons at Guitar Center, seemingly out of the blue. After several lessons, I got him a nice little kit from the Lodo Drum Guy and he's doing pretty well playing simple rock tunes so far. The other day I turned on KUVO in the car and he decided he likes jazz. Now we listen to it whenever we're in the car together. I'm impressed (and a little scared - I'm no jazz cat). And there's a drum kit in our basement now.

And that's how I got back into guitars all of a sudden. The first song he learned is Seven Nation Army and he's ready for a jamming buddy. So, this weekend I dug out an electric guitar that I can keep in open tuning, strung it up in Open E, and bought a slide while I was at GC for his drum lesson. I forgot what sore fingertips felt like.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  17. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

I, too, have been to gitold's house jams (miss them and him) but don't touch guitars for now. Until I can change jobs and we can move into a bigger space I don't want to ask for trouble. I got married almost 4 years ago and there is a toddler (and, for now, a mother-in-law) taking up all possible extra time and space. So, just listen to as much guitar music as I can. No callouses on these fingers.

Wife does want go out to hear some live music soon so I'll start thinking about that.

Greg

18. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

I am hosting the ol' Mile High Blues Society blues jam at Rockabillies tomorrow. If any of ya'll are bored and in the area, head on down. There shall be plenty of telecasters, but theres never too many. Bring yer axes! =)

19. fenderfan

fenderfan Tele-Afflicted

Planning ahead: The 2020 Golden Super Cruise Car Show, and the Royal Aces surf band.
    For 2020, we are once again very flattered to have been signed up to play at every Super Cruise (first Saturday of every month, May through October, 3 to 6 pm in the big King Sooper's parking lot on South Golden Road). Fabulous cars, and we add a little twangy reverb! If you stop by, please come up and say hello (I'm the very elderly guitar player) rk party.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.