1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Color Tone spray can quantity

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Bob J, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Gris

Gris Tele-Meister

Don’t just worry about the temperature, do not shoot outside on a day that there is any humidity!

2. Dr Chim Richalds

Dr Chim Richalds TDPRI Member

I am by no means a builder extraordinaire - in fact I'm a complete rookie that is on one of many subsequent attempts at finishing... but I will share my experience some cold(er) weather spraying with Colortone Nitro. I just shot about nine clear coats in my detached garage in NJ last week with great success. The weather reached into the 40's with some sun, so it was probably a little warmer in my garage with the doors closed. I shot with a respirator inside and left the guitar in the garage between coats. I did take the guitar into the house at the end of the day after it had a couple hours to gas off in the garage, and then take it to the garage from the house again the next day for more clear coats.

I was mostly concerned with taking the guitar from the warm house into the cold outside (between the house and garage). When it warmed up to near 40 degrees for the day, I would take the guitar from my basement to the detached garage for the day's coatings. I wrapped the body in a new plastic garbage bag to avoid introducing any lint/hair/dust to the dried nitro before spraying wet coats, and then wrap the garbage bag loosely in a winter coat. I carried the wrapped guitar like this from the house to the garage and then propped it up and just let it acclimate while I warmed the lacquer in a pot of hot water in my kitchen sink - this way I didn't shock the day old finish with cold air coming out of the warm house.

I'm not advising to do this - and my successful experience should be taken with a grain of salt - as I said, I don't have much to compare this to except it worked for me this time. I just felt I would share in case anyone doesn't want to/can't wait for warmer weather in the northeast to progress their projects!

dan40 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.