Color laser printer for homeoffice-any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by djalt, Jun 30, 2015.

1. djalt

djalt Tele-Holic

Hey guys, Any techies that can recommend a colour laser equivalent to my workhorse monochrome HP laserjet1022? Pic below...

This thing has been awesome. 11 years no trouble. Now I need Color for business documents, client proposals, (approx 10-30 pages each) probably 50 pages of Color per week. Not picture or photo quality, but regular mortgage, investing and finance related docs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks fellas!

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1435679113.944827.jpg

2. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've been looking at replacing my Minolta. The HP all in one with a duplexer looked best from all the reviews. There are a lot of model clearance blowouts right now. I almost bought the Samsung until I read some of the reviews. Happy hunting!

3. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

HP printers have always impressed me, and I've had a few that have worked for years. My wife currently has a terrific Xerox Phaser™ printer that uses what look like wax blocks rather than ink cartridges. A solid ink printer. She's put over 30,000 pages through it, lots of colour, and it keeps on going. They don't make the model she has any longer, but the upgrade would be the Phaser™ 6500 I think. Really good looking print. The ink is just as expensive as the cartridges though. Just less recycling waste.

4. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I got one of these on sale for $179. Pretty impressed with it. Never use the fax (don't have land line), but the wife uses the color copier a lot. All wireless (well it has wired capability) with a bajillion document delivery options. Supports Air and Google Cloud printing.

Amazon.com: Canon imageCLASS MF8280cw Wireless 4-In-1 Color Laser Multifunction Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/313gcgyjFnL.@@AMEPARAM@@313gcgyjFnL

I had an HP 2600n that we used for a long time, but we gave it to our son when he moved out.

With these printers the toner refills cost more than the printers. :lol: But it is nice to have laser toner that never dries out like ink.

5. djalt

djalt Tele-Holic

"With these printers the toner refills cost more than the printers. "

That's what I noticed!.... ImageUploadedByTDPRI1435688346.799800.jpg

The refill toner cartridges for this $99 bad boy were 179 each (or so), so I thought "buy 3 printers and chuck them as you go." Sad but true. I would never do that on principle.

Looking into those solid ink Xerox Phazer models now...

6. rcole_sooner

The laser printers come with a limited toner supply. The toner cartridges you buy will print a lot more pages that the cartridges that come in the printer. Still it is a shocker to spend nearly $300 on toner.

7. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

8. rcole_sooner

I have not had to buy toner for the Canon yet.

I never had any trouble finding toner for the HP, when I had it.

But yeah $300 for all 4 toners cartridges for the HP. I assume the Canon will be similar price, just don't know about local availability .. but should be able to get them online.

9. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I've bought some 500 series color lasers for small offices after other moderately priced models didn't do so well and one I think is a 476 that has scanner and fax. These are for small and home offices but are still more than the lowest cost stuff out there.

There are less expensive things out there but I stick with first tier products because I'm like my users or worse. None of us like problems and I can least afford them. If I make a purchase and the item's not vital I think differently and look for bargains.

10. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Im a account manager for my IT business....

One of the things about the wax printers is they usually print really lovely graphs and photos etc with a nice sheen /glossy effect.

I learned this at my cost when we replaced a wax printer with a normal laser printer and the customer complained bout the subsequent print quality of his underfloor heating cost saving graphs he handed out....

Sounds silly but the samples he showed compared to laser were truly nicer to read and look at.

And yes "Shipping Toner" and Ink these days.....is considerably less than a replacement toner cartridge usually in the vicinity of only 15% full......

11. Formerblonde

Formerblonde Tele-Meister

colour printing

I was in the office equipment game for many years so I'll drop a bit of knowledge I've gleaned over the years.

You can bet the cheaper the machine is to buy, the more expensive the replacement toner/ink is. You'll also find the cartridges that come with new machines are *NOT* filled to capacity. I can safely sell you a $99 printer knowing full well you'll be buying replacement toner in a few 100 pages. [cyan, majenta, yellow and black]

Each machine has a duty cycle for the image cartridge and fuser system as well, so those are some additional costs to look forward to.

I've had good experience with the xerox phaser printers. The only knock i have on them is they need to stay plugged in and on standby. Otherwise the wax will cool and clog the printhead.

Hope that helps

12. djalt

djalt Tele-Holic

Holy cow. That explains a lot. Thanks Mad Kiwi!

13. djalt

djalt Tele-Holic

All great info! Thanks buddy!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.