1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Color-flop Partscaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Hockey Rocker, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

This week when I went into my office I was greeted with a UPS package containing some interesting pigment, a gift from a business friend. The stuff is color-shift special effect pigment. She had some laying around and, seeing my Sparklecaster the last time she visited my office, figured I could use it for my next project.

HELP! The stuff is powder. What do I do with it?

[​IMG]

I'm thinking that I can mix it with Deft Clear, about six parts Deft and one part pigment, a touch of mineral spirits to thin it, and spray it through the Preval unit. Should that work? I'm new to this powder pigment concept.

The stuff doesn't show well in the photo, but it seems to impart a cool green to pink shift at a forty-five degree angle. I tried it right on the SX STL body and then on black. It looks about the same. I think I can just rough-up the SX's poly finish and just spray this over it without using a primer. Otherwise, I'll prime it with Krylon from a rattle can.

I'll shoot some test panels first, but you have any thoughts on how to proceed? Thanks.

2. reddogbass

reddogbass Tele-Holic

No- not mineral spirits to thin it. Deft is lacquer, so you need lacquer thinner. How to thin I don't know because I don't use Deft for gun application.

Either "paintwithpearl" or "HOK" (maybe both- can't remember) has application tips. The color shift stuff is basically a pearl product, so yes you just mix in the carrier.

3. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Buckocaster thins the brush-on Deft by warming it in a pan of hot water. See the Emeraldcaster thread.

4. EunosFD

EunosFD Tele-Holic

I can't help with any finishing tips unfortunately, but I can't wait to see the finished product. I'm sick of "traditional" finishes and love to see it when folks try something out of the ordinary. My old CS Strat kinda fits into that category (sorry for the old pic, but so far it's the only one I've ever been able to take which shows off the finish well):

[​IMG]

It's more of a rainbow colored metalflake finish though (called "Aurora Glow" IIRC) so it's not quite the same as what you're doing, but I dig it. :D

5. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

Nice holographic sparkler there Eunos. Wow. Thanks Red Dog with the tip about the laquer thinner. Yes, J, I've been following Buck's Emeraldcaster and subsequent Rubycasters closely, I'm hoping that the heating trick thins the Deft enough. I need to select the color for the base coat today, get a can of Deft, and spray some test panels. I'm going for something unconventional but not as bold as a holographic sparklecaster.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.