Color and finish, deal killer over Sound, feel and play?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ronzhd, Oct 21, 2019.

1. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Feel is most important. If I like the neck and the weight is reasonable, I’m in. I can replace the pickups if I don’t like the sound. I have color preferences, but I’ll gladly play an ugly guitar if it feels right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

For years I eschewed Teles because I “didn’t like the way they looked”.
    Well I’m over that now that I have one that feels and plays well for me.
    Having said that, if it looked like it had been run over by a Honda Pilot, I might not have looked at it much less played it.
    Take the Danelectro - the looks don’t appeal to me so I’ve never picked one up to play. I suppose that’s shallow but appearance is important when choosing anything, homes, autos, spouses. Why should guitars be excluded?

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The whole hello kitty little girls toy thing may be wrong for rock, but the Stratocaster is already a piece of candy with a neck rather than a guitar, and pink goes great with candy.
    I'd play one if it was a great guitar.
    Not with that HB though!

4. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

There are millions of guitars out there. Why buy one that doesn't hit all the marks?

5. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sunburst is a deal killer for me; just don’t like them. However, one exception I made was with my Hofner violin bass. It just looks great on that baby. I have broadened my horizons with a variety of other colors, but if I gave in to my preferences, everything I’d have would be either CAR or Silverburst.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well that's a good question and I ask myself exactly that every time I stop in at a GC and try some guitars!
    (Or most other guitar shops for that matter)

What I find and have been finding since before there were any GC stores is that very seldom do I find a guitar on the racks that even comes close to hitting all the marks.
    I read comments about this being the best era of guitar production, but I just don't see that in all the guitars on the market.
    In fact I can seldom even find a guitar at a GC that's set up well enough to try an amp with.
    Never mind something I'd want to own.
    This is sad, and i used to find affordable guitars I wanted in shops.

@thunderbyrd started a thread yesterday asking if there are any "magic guitars".
    My feeling from (in the past) being a tech is that there are a few great guitars and a lot of adequate guitars in need of setup, plus all the adequate guitars that were recently set up and in good playing condition.
    Guitars are not satisfactory to me until they are basically great, and from what other players say about guitars I've worked on and maybe combined better parts into, seems to indicate that great guitars and magic guitars are really all about choosing the right parts and setting them up well.

One thing I find is that if I set up a guitar and chose the right parts, it tends to stay in fairly good adjustment, and when it needs some setup it's still in better playing condition than 99% of guitars on the racks at GC and other retailers.

In conclusion, I seldom find a guitar in a shop that hits any of the marks aside from color and finish.
    Add in that guitar retail is more and more online shopping where players don't play the guitars they are going to purchase, it seems like color and finish is the primary attraction in buying guitars!

And my question would be, if the guitars of today's production are the best we've ever had the pleasure of shopping for, why is virtually every one in such terrible playing condition when brand new?
    A good guitar should only get into as bad a condition as retailers hang them up for sale in if abused or neglected.
    A good guitar set up fairly well at the factory will be in decent playing condition no matter where it ships to and what humidity changes it went through. Decent may mean the action is a little high or a little low and buzzy.

Dismal to unplayable is the condition of almost every guitar new and late model used I see for sale.
    If guitars are so great today, why do the play so badly in retail displays?

7. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Women, horses and guitars, looks draw your attention, if it doesn’t make you even look at it, you’d walk right on by. After the looks catch your eye, then it gets down to the real important stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.