Color and finish, deal killer over Sound, feel and play?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ronzhd, Oct 21, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Haha my priorities are the complete opposite of your list!

Lots of pointy Ibanez shred guitars play stupendously well but I can't stand the sound.
    I prefer to struggle a bit with the playability rather than play a superbly set up guitar I don't like the sound of.

While looks are the least important, I'll admit that there are lots of guitars I simply don't pick up and try due to the looks.

At a yard sale I'd try almost any guitar though, if it didn't look diseased.

Price is a big too factor and I'd buy an ugly guitar that played great and sounded pretty good if it was cheap.
    I even look for ugly pointy guitars in case one happens to sound and play great, but so far those planets haven't aligned.
    I've had an Ibanez Destroyer and have a Gibby Explorer, but the Destroyer actually played better for me due to taller frets, where Gibson still puts these foolish wider low frets on everything.

So there I suppose I keep the '80s Explorer for looks, even though the playability and sound don't suit me.

NewKid likes this.
  2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

if I owned that one, I would set a mirror in the opposite corner so I could see it "normal" Ha Ha!

That's a beauty for sure. Mine is a less-expensive Electromatic 5129, but just as lovely to look at, and in Firebird Red.

tintag27 likes this.
  3. jhundt

I have owned a few guitars that I referred to as "picture guitars"; I did not play them often, but if I was involved in any kind of photo shoot - those are the guitars I would bring!

boris bubbanov likes this.
  4. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

I'll definitely turn down a guitar that I think looks like garbage, but that's usually more down to body shape than finish. But, like @jhundt said, most guitars now play pretty decent or at least close enough that I can certainly get it to play real nice with a touch of work. So, anymore, unless I come across some real unicorn guitar or something that just blows me away with amazing sound or some kind of super-comfy neck carve, I'll pass until I find something that looks nice to me. Guitars are as much art as they are tools, and having one that looks nice makes me want to play it more.

Helps that any guitar I've bought in a long while has been as much just for fun as it has been because I need it for a certain usage.

Shallow, but it's a subjective hobby, who cares?

NewKid and DonM like this.
  5. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

This might seem a little weird but I'm more open to finishes if they are a type that will show wear. I think even ugly colors look better with a few miles on them. I imagine the guitar in ten years and if it's ugly but beat up, it's an easy "it plays great so I bought it."

Not a "relic" post. Just a statement that ugly is character and I don't want character to stop at the factory door.

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

IME, there isn't any one electric guitar that is so heads and tails above most others that it makes it worthwhile to accept it being unattractive. Yes, color matters a lot to me. I find no reason to purchase an ugly guitar, even if it is a great guitar. Great guitars are all over the place.

If you're talking an ugly, stripped '62 Strat that is within the realm of restoration, and plays and sounds great, then sure. I'll take it. Point being, the guitar in question would have to be something really rare and desirable to get me to overlook the cosmetics.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My order is neck playability, playability, sound unplugged, sound plugged, then appearance. I'm not suggesting appearance isn't important, but just the least important to me. There are lots of beautiful guitars out there, but play like dogs to me. I have never purchased a guitar that I didn't play the snot out of for quite a few years.:cool:

OTOH, Mrs. Obsessed buys based upon appearance and ends up buying and selling basses and guitars very often.:cry:o_O

8. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

True @jhundt ! In no way an Electromatic has to be considered "Cheap Gretsch" : A Gretsch is a Gretsch, and has That Great Gretsch Sound. I have several of them to attest it. No hiatus like Squier, Epiphone, Ltd...

Your G5129 looks like this one below I think - and she even has Bi-Colorism... Unlike my G6119LH ! :eek::cool::cool::cool:

[​IMG]

-tbln

jhundt likes this.
  9. jhundt

yes, indeed - mine looks like that! I sit in the living room with my wife, watching some show on the TV - but much of the time I am just looking at that beautiful guitar and day-dreaming.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm sorry. I am not really as upset about this, as you might think. I think you're cool - I just found the specific point you were making, needing a counterpoint. That's all.

And it almost looks like your guy does really dislike Antigua. If I found a Coronado in it, I'd probably get it. I can live with some of them.

Chuckster likes this.
  11. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I don't see any reason I should settle for an ugly guitar when there are plenty of good looking guitars out there that play and sound great. Looks are important to me.

NewKid likes this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think it would be fun to have one obnoxiously ugly guitar, like a sparkle aniqua.

Chuckster likes this.
  13. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

Finish is very important. If i like the looks, i check it further.
    I walked out of Sweetwater with a blue LP Jr...i hate blue but the only jr in the store. They sent me an email for my experience, i complained and they asked me to come in for an exchange, they had it in black. Very commendable on SW's part. I like em!

Chuckster likes this.
  14. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

My normal teams in order of importance:
    1-feel
    2-sound, unless it's "dead" acoustically pickups and wiring can be changed to get what I'm after.
    3-color and finish

UNLESS....

DEB59003-4783-4E71-81FA-241316DC74B1.jpeg 70EBB746-59B3-4C13-97AD-B67C3784E4AD.jpeg E5EB1C66-268D-4597-A28E-CD5F351C6CC6.jpeg
    I don't care if these are some of the best sounding guitars ever made....I'm not buying.

15. Bluesensationist

Bluesensationist TDPRI Member

I specifically play a maple neck even though I prefer rosewood aesthetically because I like big necks and have not seen any rosewood necks as large as the 52 avri series. I do like the avri 52 for looks, but would sooner go for a frost white and rosewood fretboard tele if the neck was right.

16. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Life is too short to play ugly guitars.

Owenmoney, verb boten and Chuckster like this.
  17. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

In most cases, it is easier to change appearance than sound or playability. One aspect of playing is being an entertainer, and if folks are entertained by an outrageous looking guitar, then so be it.

18. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I subscribe to Bumnote's ranked criteria; the "UNLESS" to me is 'Hello Kitty' -- sorry, no matter how great a player it may be (and I seriously doubt it would be), you'll never see me in public or private with one of those!!
    No disrespect to Slash, but really...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    verb boten likes this.
  19. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

Tone and feel are the biggest concerns for me, but it doesn't upset me if it's also a good looking guitar.

rangercaster likes this.
  20. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 TDPRI Member

In Tele's, I've always been partial to Butterscotch Blondes.

Rosewood finger boards have never done much for me visually, nor have white bodies. So keeping with my visual preferred styling cues...... I ended up boding with the Page Mirror Tele in my avatar!....... Go figure.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.