Color and finish, deal killer over Sound, feel and play?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ronzhd, Oct 21, 2019.

1. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

It seems like there have been many recent post' that have to do with "color and finish". I don't think there is a color I wouldn't take, if the guitar had the mojo feel, even "hello Kitty pink" or for the boys on here dealing with the DPP, lol. That still kills me! So, how important is the color and finish to You?

2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

If it doesn’t play well, I don’t want it. If it does play well, and I’m in the market, I’ll take it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I thusly rank these categories in order of personal preference;

1) Feel/play (I'm going to say these are part of the same category)
    2) Sound
    3) look/appearance

I'll play an ugly guitar that feels and sounds good. I've seen me do it.

I've also put down beautiful guitars in disgust because the tactile sensation hit me wrong.

4. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  5. Slim60

Slim60 TDPRI Member

I can't help being attracted to the visual aspects of an instrument.

But that shallowness could help me walk right past a great guitar.

6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I love a great looking guitar, but playability and feel trump aesthetics for me. I generally dislike natural finishes, but I have two. The Lite Ash strat I have was probably one of the worst looking guitars to me back in 2004, but it played so well I walked out with it on the spot. I've since grown to like the look.

verb boten and Bassman8 like this.
  7. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It’s hard for me to get past the looks. Which is incredibly stupid, because I’ve gotten dogs based on looks. And the looks I don’t like are things others do, such as big-headstock Strats and paisley finishes.

verb boten and jhundt like this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m “Shallow Hal” I suppose.
    My guitars have to play, sound and look great, to me.
    Anything less is a deal breaker.
    I absolutely loathe certain finishes, colors and types of guitars.
    I’m lookin’ at you Fender Antigua Jaguars and pointy, Floyd-ey, day-glo shredder guitars.

9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Antigua and butterscotch = Deal killers for me.

NewKid and tintag27 like this.
  10. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted

I haven't bought a guitar since my CV50 ten years ago (I can hear the splutters of horror from here, haha) - that was an easy choice though, it was only available in one colour!
    But I have in the past certainly been swayed by some flashy guitars, like my quilted maple-topped semi from Samick - fortunately that one is also put together very well

11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Neck, ergonomics, playability.
    Tone I can fix.
    Some colors would stop me, like +1 Antigua.
    I pass on Floyd bridges

Uncle Butch likes this.
  12. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

There's nothing I need, really, so if it doesn't have all of the above and for a reasonable price, I'm not interested. If I have to rank order stuff though, playability followed by sound, then looks. For acoustics sound is always first. I have sold along a PRS McCarty, beautiful guitar that, surprisingly didn't move me much sound-wise. And my most recent guitar purchase was a Blueridge acoustic in a weird shade of dark orange / tobacco. Ugly color but it's growing on my because the thing just sounds so dang good.

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Color and finish are secondary to me. The guitar getting most of my playing time, lately, *is* Squier 570 Pink.

14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

That’s a good guitar that needs no mods to be a good guitar.

tintag27 and TinyTree like this.
  15. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

I’m pretty agnostic on colour. There are some I love but few that offend me. As long as it isn’t neon or printed patterns. Previous owners’ poor pickguard choices get replaced and I’m refinning a poor refin at the moment.

A good example is my Strat. I don’t really like black guitars but it was a good buy so I put a black pickguard on and gave it a different vibe that was good enough for me.

16. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

I like the whole thing. A guitar has to sound and look good, otherwise I pass away. I have enough good sounding and beautiful guitars so why should I buy an ugly one?

moosie likes this.
  17. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

For me, finding a nice Tele is liking finding a nice woman: I'm first attracted by what "see" (what's on the outside), then, by what I "feel" (what's on the inside). :rolleyes:

Owenmoney likes this.
  18. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Heres the problem;

I have preconceived notions about things. I know in my head an American Fender should not have sharp frets and bad action. I know this. I can't escape into another reality.

So, if a guitar looks like its going to suck, and is priced like it doesn't, I'm not touching it. Because I have this notion of paying $X gets me Y&Z in a guitar.

If a beaten to hell hello kitty strat has a $40 price tag, and a hack job humbucker installed, I'm gonna pick it up. If it feels good, I'm gonna plug it in. If it sound even ok ish, I'll drop $40.

If a Mexican tele is hanging there with burns on the headstock and a poorly refinished and subsequently beaten on body, and its priced at $200, I'm investigating.

Lots of online shopping doesn't let you check the important feel and sound, you rely on experience with similar stuff to draw a conclusion about that instrument, where all you have is look and price.

But I'm picky. A deal is a deal, if its fender and plays good, and it's a lower price, I'm interested. If it's a 60s/70s Japanese brand, and the price is good, I'm interested. An 80s Takai strat for squier price? I dont even like strats, but I'd look at it. I wont pay extra for an ugly color or damage. Or a refinish. Money determines if it's worth it. When I'm actively shopping for specific things, color matter less.
    I'm still kicking myself over my blue mustang. I should got the red one(MIM) but the blue was used, setup good, and I didn't have to order online. At the time, I coulda got the Cobain one for similar price, but the coil splitting on both pickups made the pawn shop more appealing. Coulda had a more mustang feeling mustang with its tremelo. But a guitar in my hands is less of a gamble than a new one online. If I'd gotten the Cobain one, itd be cheaper for new pickups too.... and easier to wire...

BUT. We all gravitate toward certain looks, and feels. I'd buy a white BC rich warlock. Dont want a red or black one.
    I'd buy an ugly guitar that played good, but the price tag would have to get me to pick it up.

19. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

Same for me, @brookdalebill ! But OK : it's a matter of taste... ;)

This one, for example, has the playability, the tone and the look - for me :

[​IMG]

Yes, I consider the look at least as important as the other criterias. But of course, you may disagree with my taste, or even consider the look as futility...

[​IMG]

;)

-tbln

DonM, tintag27, moosie and 1 other person like this.
  20. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I haven't met many cool-looking guitars that I couldn't play. I have played a few good guitars that looked terrible to me.

The thing with recent and contemporary guitars these days is - to me - they are all pretty good. It's like cars these days. I haven't bothered to test-drive a car since my wife got a RAV 4 back in '95. Any car we get these days is going to be a small Asian-made or European sub-compact. They all look the same, they all feel the same, they all drive the same. Quality is fairly constant across the category. It's just a car that I drive, I don't ask for or need much more.

Guitars are the same - they all play pretty good these days. I have a few laying around, and it doesn't matter which I play.

But that red Gretsch standing in the corner - that thing is a beauty to look at!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.