Collings City Limits anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by moosie, Jun 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just sold my 2012 Les Paul Standard, with the idea of upgrading to a '58 Historic (probably). My attention has been tractor-beamed by a sweet Collings City Limits Deluxe. Anyone have experience with these? My ideal Les Paul or similar is a bright, open sound, like a Tele on steroids. But in my case, mostly the neck pickup, and mostly clean, or nearly so.

I've been told the CL will do fantastic cleans. I've heard the build quality is over the top.

I just don't want a muddy guitar. This one's got Lollar regular wind Imperials.

2. bikeracr

bikeracr Tele-Meister

I'm in a similar boat. I posted this at TGP no too long ago.

I too have been on the hunt for a good LP-style guitar recently. I have tried a Huber Orca, Knaggs Kenai Rudy's in NYC, multiple Gibson Historics, a b3, and others. I was finally able to try Collings City Limits with Throbaks at Willcut Guitars in Lexington, KY. In short, this may be the winner. We all know how amazingly consistent & solid their builds are, so this will just focus on playability & tone. I A-B'd the CL against a Gibson R8 by starting with the CL, going to the R8, & back to the CL. I was amazed at the sheer playability of the guitar. While the LP felt solid, it also felt like a big slab compared to the body contours of the CL (a similar feeling when comparing strats & teles). I have been hesitant to get a single cut because of the usual challenges with upper fret access. The countoured heel & carve put that concern to rest, especially compared to the Gibson. In the tone department, the CL had a clarity, even on the neck with tone rolled back, that I have not found in Gibson. The one thing that did surprise me was the middle position. While many of us use this to blend the two pups, this position had its own tone that was not the usual blend I was expecting. As I have read here before, the CL has a refined tone compared to the more raw, in-your-face Gibson LP tone. It comes down to personal preference. I much preferred the CL because of this refinement & greater flexibility. In short, the CL is really a modern update to the LP while still retaining the Les Paul charm.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice. Thanks.

Anyone comment on the Lollars? I love me some Lollar single coils, but have never played the Imperials. My first thought with this guitar was "hmmm, wish it had Throbaks". I can always swap, but I'm not looking at this high end purchase with lots of modding in mind, if ya know what I mean. I'd like to get by with the stock pickups at least for a good while...

So, Lollar Imperials? Good bright, open PAF like?

4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I can't comment on the CL, but the 290 I had is one of 3 guitars that I've sold off that I wish I had kept. The 290 is their take on the old LP Specials - no maple top, 2 P-90s, etc.

Fantastic playing guitar, and I loved the Lollar P-90s, and while it had some extra chime and twang than what you would normally find from an LP Special. Collings uses a slightly longer scale than a Gibson - it is 24 7/8" instead of the typical 24.625"-ish Les Paul; that probably accounted for the extra chime/clarity/twang over the typical Gibson.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.