College football

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
1. I wonder if Wisconsin would hire Bielema again.

2. I would not want to coach at Colorado, Colorado State, Nebraska, and a number of other schools similarly situated due to the fact that the state has two "major" college programs, a shortage of high caliber (4 and 5 star) recruits generated instate and certainly not enough for both states, hard competition recruiting TX and CA which is necessary to have a good team, and unrealistic expectations from the admin and fan base of having a winning or even championship program under the foregoing circumstances. This is not 1990 and everything has changed. I have not seen anything from Colorado, Col. State, Nebraska, etc. with respect to NIL or other creative measures to turn around recruiting to take recruits in CA, TX and other states away from other FBS programs.

The aforementioned types of programs probably need to study Iowa and Iowa State a bit to learn what they are doing to build their occasionally good teams.

Lost_N_Austin

Friend of Leo's
Did you know that fewer than two percent of NCAA college athletes go on to become professional athletes? I'm not a former college athlete but I'm the Proud Grandparent of a New York Giant who will be playing a game against The Packers in London this weekend. It is supposedly Televised here in the United States at 9:30 AM in the Central time zone. I'll probably have Pony-up some kind of special subscription service just to watch him play. Go Giants.

Lost_N_Austin

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
View attachment 1036061
That was weird! The program wasn’t allowing me to type text, so I had to come back a second time.

PSU is out to a 5-0 record, and they look pretty good on both sides of the ball!

This Saturday is their bye, which will give them time to focus on a tough Michigan squad October 15.

We were at Penn State last weekend. We had tickets but decided to watch from a sports bar. The weather was horrible.

I hadn’t been to State College since the 70’s. It was tough sleeping with all the commotion on the streets late at night. But that’s ok, we’re only young once.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
My home town team is Navy and they couldn’t beat a Texas high school team this year.

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
We were at Penn State last weekend. We had tickets but decided to watch from a sports bar. The weather was horrible.

I hadn’t been to State College since the 70’s. It was tough sleeping with all the commotion on the streets late at night. But that’s ok, we’re only young once.

Now wait? Shouldn’t you be a Terrapins fan?

Knows3Chords

Tele-Holic
As a MSU Spartan I don't think I will be able to watch Ohio State demolish them this Saturday. It could get ugly. MSU usually has one big upset in them a year and I hope they save it for the Mythigan game. I also hope Penn State beats Mythigan the Saturday next, but for some reason Mythigan rarely loses at home. Wink, wink. ;);)

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Now wait? Shouldn’t you be a Terrapins fan?
Well, sort of I guess. I used to follow Virginia Tech because my daughter played Lacrosse there. The reason we were there is my Dad's girlfriend, she's 90 he's 93 went to PS in the 50's. She met her husband there and when they retired they bought a house there.

Eventually her husband got sick and they left State College for the Philadelphia area for medical care and their children. But they bought a condo so they could still get back for games. They moved into the same facility my parents were in. My mom passed in 2016 her husband a little later. Eventually they became an item.

The main reason we went aside from visiting them was to bring them home. Neither one drives any more. Thank God! They spent a week there as there were two home games in row. Someone else brought them out.

jimd

Friend of Leo's
Did you know that fewer than two percent of NCAA college athletes go on to become professional athletes?
I think a football team like Ohio State has over 100 players. The majority don’t even get close to the pros. Add in the swimmers, volleyball players, fencers, field hockey players etc. and you see where that 2 percent number comes from. Then the average career of an NFL player is 3.3 years. I hope they studied and got a degree to fall back on. Because that money isn’t going to last.

My wife and I were both college athletes. We’ve both done some coaching on the side, but it was for the love of our sports and definitely not for the money.

Knows3Chords

Tele-Holic
According to Google, there are approximately 893 college football teams across five different divisions each with around 125 active players. There are 32 NFL teams with around 53 active players and 9 CFL teams with around 45 players. Not the best odds for sure. Finishing that degree is essential. I think the NCAA has improved on this in the last decade.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
My home town team is Navy and they couldn’t beat a Texas high school team this year.
My oldest taught at Annapolis as part of his USN career for years. He doesn't like Navy. But he has two degrees from Maryland. He doesn't like them either. He roots for Michigan St where he went for undergrad studies.
I think TCU is going to dash the Kansas dreamers this week, slap them conscious. Michigan St a 27 point underdog? I'd cover that and take the 27. A&M might have a chance to score if Bryce Young isn't up to snuff. Is LSU going to surprise Tennessee? Not too many marquis games this week. Syracuse will be undefeated for one more week until hosting NC State who has FSU this week. Gimmee

Last edited:

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
The Georgia-Auburn game is usually bigger, but the Barn is not doing so well. It is the CBS SEC feature game at 3:30 on Saturday.

It is an old rivalry and odd things happen in the series, the worse team has beaten the higher ranked team on many occasions, so one cannot take anything for granted. The upset victory by a bad Georgia team against a highly ranked Auburn team in 2006 is the inverse of the current situation.

Auburn foolishly gave Gus Mazahn an extension and pay increase when his performance was waning and did it within a couple of years of firing him. The payout was stated a s a reason to defer firing him when they really wanted to do it. Paying Gus a lot of money to go away has not worked out well for them and it appears that they will soon be paying Harsin more money to go away.

AU has the tough situation of being a major FBS program in a state with a relatively small population and talent pool while have Bama as the instate rival. Bama has been good for a long time under Saban and his program has been putting a lot of players in the NFL. The young players in the state have grown up with that image versus a struggling Auburn and Bama has gained a recruiting edge. Auburn has always recruited substantially out of state and in particular, recruited the state of GA (the source of numerous prominent AU players such as Takeo Spike and Cam Newton). Kirby Smart has been at Georgia long enough to improve the program and win a national championship and has established a good grasp on instate recruiting and is keeping great players instate and away from Auburn, TN, FL, etc. Smart has also expanded recruiting nationally and internationally (signed an Australian punter). Whoever Auburn gets next is going to have to have a recruiting history and pipeline in GA, TX, FL, etc. in addition to recruiting in AL if it is going to become a consistent winner again.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
Less than 22 hours until Texas and ou tangle it up. I’m pumped already. “HOOK ‘EM HORNS”. Sorry I didn’t mean to shout
F92FD365-EED9-452B-9AD4-0F5CE9DF384A.jpeg

Ewers may be starting and Card seems be ok with the ankle. There is so much talent on this team and almost everyone is healthy. I really want to see the Golden Cowboy Hat back in Austin
568DF03B-772B-4785-9348-C9459959E01E.jpeg

rcole_sooner

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Less than 22 hours until Texas and ou tangle it up. I’m pumped already. “HOOK ‘EM HORNS”. Sorry I didn’t mean to shout
View attachment 1037567
Ewers may be starting and Card seems be ok with the ankle. There is so much talent on this team and almost everyone is healthy. I really want to see the Golden Cowboy Hat back in Austin
View attachment 1037569
Yup, you guys look to tear us up. Dunno what happened this year. Not good for us. I never did like Venables

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
The Georgia-Auburn and TX-OU games are generally bigger on the national stage than they are this year. But who knows, they may both turn out to be entertaining games.

This is the schedule for CFB this weekend:

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
Yup, you guys look to tear us up. Dunno what happened this year. Not good for us. I never did like Venables
You never know with the Red River Shootout/Showdown/Rivalry.
With Ewers arm this could be exciting squared. Not sure about the ou quarterback situation. That’s a huge unknown tomorrow. Oklahoma’s defence hasn’t been the best. Hopefully the Longhorn offense will show up in full force

I still wish I was at the Texas State Fair with a Fletchers, a cold beer, and good seats. But in front of my tv with a Dark & Diet will have to do 🤘

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
My oldest taught at Annapolis as part of his USN career for years. He doesn't like Navy. But he has two degrees from Maryland. He doesn't like them either. He roots for Michigan St where he went for undergrad studies.
I think TCU is going to dash the Kansas dreamers this week, slap them conscious. Michigan St a 27 point underdog? I'd cover that and take the 27. A&M might have a chance to score if Bryce Young isn't up to snuff. Is LSU going to surprise Tennessee? Not too many marquis games this week. Syracuse will be undefeated for one more week until hosting NC State who has FSU this week. Gimmee
Someone offered me tickets and aparking pass to Navy today. I declined.