College Football Season 2021

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
Oklahoma finally lost after many attempts to lose. Baylor beat them after losing to TCU the prior week. Any given Saturday...

Florida tried hard to lose to Samford of all teams, but pulled it out after giving up 52 points to an FCS tea. A 70-52 win is not helping Mullen's job security, and he seems to have accepted he is toast.

Ole Miss beat the higher ranked Texas A&M, which is strong at home but bad on the road.

Georgia beat Tennessee and went 8-0 in conference play for the first time ever (the expanded conference is a factor in addition to frequently finding a way to squander one). UT got its licks in early with the fast paced offense and caught UGA slacking. But Georgia made adjustments and UT scored 10 in the first quarter and then scored a second touchdown with less than 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter. UGA has two lesser opponents left but needs to remain focused, and it should finish the regular season 12-0. But it will likely have to overcome its kryptonite and beat Alabama in the SEC CG.

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
The regular season is almost done, next week is generally the last game of the season and rivalry week. It has passed by quickly.

OSU hammered Michigan State, and that should put to rest the "controversy" of the CFP committee's eye test and decision to rank MSU behind Michigan. It will be interesting to see what happens between OSU and Michigan.

Utah hammered Oregon, and the Ducks just never looked like they were ready or in the game. Utah looked good for a 7-3 team.

Arkansas found ways to keep coming back against Bama and making it a game. The Bama defense is not stellar this year and I hope that works to Georgia's advantage when they play the SEC CG.

The CFP committee will likely have Georgia, Bama, OSU, and Cincinnati as the top 4 on Tuesday night.

Reactions: BB

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
Georgia is no. 1 with a good chance of winning the SEC and playing in the playoffs for the championship.

To make it better, Florida has fired its third coach in the last 10 years.

Gator hater!

:lol::lol:

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
The surprises on rivalry Saturday caused changes in the Top 4 of the CFP committee rankings released last night.

Michigan spanked OSU and climbed to no.2 because Bammer almost lost to a 6-6 Auburn team and took 4 OT periods to beat them. Wisconsin lost so now MI plays Iowa for the conference championship.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out after the conference championship games.

Georgia has to beat Bammer, and even though the team has not looked that good in the last 2 games, I expect Saban to have them shaped up for this game. I take nothing for granted.

It would get chaotic if two or more in the Top 4 lose.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...igan-enters-top-four-ohio-state-drops-week-14

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
Oklahoma State blew its opportunity to get into the CFP by losing to Baylor. I could not locate the game and missed the early part and had to run errands and take care of some things before the SEC CG. That game was apparently pretty good late. No team from the Big 12 made it into the CFP this year.

Cincinnati got it done against Houston and made it into the CFP. It reward is to play Bammer in the semi-final game, which is good because Georgia and Cincinnati played each other in a bowl game back in January and this will make a better matchup.

Michigan spanked Iowa and continues to make a good showing on defense. Iowa turned out to be only a "good" team and did not live up to the early season hype. Michigan won big enough to move its way up to no. 2 and will play Georgia in the semi-final.

Georgia proved it still cannot win the big game. Bammer made remarkable improvements to its O line and gave up no sacks, and the GA defense was not able to get the pressure and disruption it needed. The Bammer QB therefore ran from the pressure they did get and made miracle passes and runs. The Bammer O exposed the secondary for the flawed unit it is and proved them to be what I have said about them. Ironically, Kirby Smart was a safety and coached the secondary mostly on his ascent to DC then HC and his worst unit is the secondary. It did not help that several really good players left for the NFL and two players, one a 4 star and one a 5 star, transferred back to their home states and now play for LSU and Miami, respectively. I wonder if they are happy with their decisions since both programs are in a bad spot.

Kirby Smart proved he is hard headed and obdurate by leaving Peewee Bennett in at QB when he should have been pulled at halftime and replaced with the 5 star standing on the sidelined (JT Daniels). Bennett went on to throw a crucial interception in the red zone and to throw a pick 6 interception, both of which put the game out of reach. UGA actually drove on Bammer and ran up immense yards but could not finish drives. Georgia blew its chance to recover a Bammer fumble when the idjit tried to scoop the ball up and run rather than just jumping on it.

I was somewhat surprised the CFP committee ranked UGA in the final four, and I would not have objected if they had not. A lot of people do not like that. Now Georgia plays Michigan and Bammer plays Cincinnati, which means there is a path for Bammer and UGA play for the national championship again. A lot more people will complain about that repeat matchup. But there are no clearcut great teams better than what are in the Top 4, all the others that follow have bad losses and have not beaten great teams for great strength of schedule (e.g., Notre Dame, OSU, Baylor).

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
It’s been a very interesting season. Nothing like I had expected.
I can see a need for expanding the CFP.
I think it would be a hoot to see Cincinnati take all the marbles. It probably won’t happen but this season has been weird enough it’ll be fun to watch it play out

As far as UGA & Alabama maybe playing again for the championship, again, all I can say is suck it. I believe the best four teams are in the mix. I say to them, if you don’t like it then maybe you should watch futball and shut up

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
Today is a big day in college football.

Bammer plays Cincinnati first and I expect it to be a good game. Bammer will probably Bammer and win the game. But I'd prefer to see them lose.

Georgia plays Michigan tonight. I am not afraid of Big 10 teams in general and believe UGA will win because it is a better, deeper team. But UGA's coaching staff is dumb and will pay PeeWee Bennett at QB despite the fact he has never won a big game and is not good on third down while a 5 star QB that has won at least one big game for the program and is statistically better on third down stands on the sideline.

EZMFE

Tele-Meister
I haven't seen Cincinnati play prior to this game, but their QB seems to be the weak link.

Today is a big day in college football.

Bammer plays Cincinnati first and I expect it to be a good game. Bammer will probably Bammer and win the game. But I'd prefer to see them lose.

Georgia plays Michigan tonight. I am not afraid of Big 10 teams in general and believe UGA will win because it is a better, deeper team. But UGA's coaching staff is dumb and will pay PeeWee Bennett at QB despite the fact he has never won a big game and is not good on third down while a 5 star QB that has won at least one big game for the program and is statistically better on third down stands on the sideline.

I am sick to death of Alabama and would love to see them lose. I will be pulling for Michigan against Georgia in the nightcap. But neither game will likely play out as I would like haha

EZMFE

Tele-Meister
Well, what a couple clunkers-- props to both the top SEC teams making it to the championship.

I will go out on a limb and -- despite how strong the Tide appears right now, and how dominant they've been forever -- I say Georgia finally gets over the hump, and wins in the rematch. That will be their first championship in several decades I think.

I probably won't watch though, I find it boring seeing the same handful of teams in it every year.

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
Expand the championship playoff to 12 teams

A reasonable person would have a hard time picking 12 teams worthy of being in the playoffs. Why bother importing the mediocrity of the non-playoff bowls into the playoffs? Then many will complain the playoffs have been ruined.

There is a big gap between the best of the SEC and the best of the rest.

The SEC will be 3-0 in the 3 games that matter and an SEC team will be the NC to the dismay of all the haters outside the conference.

Reactions: BB

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
Some interesting and surprising facts about a few school grabbing a slight majority of the Top 100 recruit talent.

The other concerning aspect is that the big reason for these uncompetitive College Football Playoff games — the talent gap — is only getting wider. The teams at the top of the sport are only getting more and more of the best talent.

Consider that the top four recruiting teams in the 2022 cycle have already signed 48 of the top 100 players in the class. That number is going to grow by National Signing Day in February, meaning half of the top 100 players in this recruiting cycle will be at four schools. In the 2015 class, the first after the inaugural playoff, only 35 of the top 100 prospects went to the top four ranked recruiting schools.

Georgia has recruited at a top 3 level in recent seasons. Michigan has recruited at a top 10 level. The gap in recruiting points between No. 3 ranked Georgia and No. 9 Michigan in the 2022 recruiting cycle is greater than the gap between Michigan and the No. 31 ranked recruiting class.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football...an-winners-losers/A44UAOA55RDA7DZMUGARJGEKQI/

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
Some interesting and surprising facts about a few school grabbing a slight majority of the Top 100 recruit talent.

The other concerning aspect is that the big reason for these uncompetitive College Football Playoff games — the talent gap — is only getting wider. The teams at the top of the sport are only getting more and more of the best talent.

Consider that the top four recruiting teams in the 2022 cycle have already signed 48 of the top 100 players in the class. That number is going to grow by National Signing Day in February, meaning half of the top 100 players in this recruiting cycle will be at four schools. In the 2015 class, the first after the inaugural playoff, only 35 of the top 100 prospects went to the top four ranked recruiting schools.

Georgia has recruited at a top 3 level in recent seasons. Michigan has recruited at a top 10 level. The gap in recruiting points between No. 3 ranked Georgia and No. 9 Michigan in the 2022 recruiting cycle is greater than the gap between Michigan and the No. 31 ranked recruiting class.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football...an-winners-losers/A44UAOA55RDA7DZMUGARJGEKQI/
But during the first play from scrimmage even my wife could see the size difference between GA and UM lines.
Whoever said “football is won in the trenches” was on to something.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
until the athletes get paid for wearing branded uniforms, shoes, sweat bands, helmets warm up capes , like the coaches do ,college football is being boycotted, pay the players! I don't watch college ball to see the coaches standing on the side lines getting paid endorsement money.