College Football Season 2021

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
7503_syracuse_orange-mascot-2006.png

as5431

Tele-Meister
Updated 2021-2022 NCAA Football National Championship odds: (Bovada)

Alabama +250
Clemson +350
Ohio State +500
Georgia +600
Oklahoma +650
Texas A&M +2000
LSU +2800
Florida +3300
Oregon +3300
Texas +3300
Iowa State +4000
North Carolina +5000
Wisconsin +5000

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Have tickets for 3 Baylor and 2 Texas home games.
Also expecting to go to a Tennessee home game. Great atmosphere there, too steep and too loud.

College football is so much fun. Baylor has the best fan experience going right now but I'm not sure they'll have the best season.

I'm also dug in to NFL. Going to see my Falcons lose when they play the Cowboys.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Updated 2021-2022 NCAA Football National Championship odds: (Bovada)

Alabama +250
Clemson +350
Ohio State +500
Georgia +600
Oklahoma +650
Texas A&M +2000
LSU +2800
Florida +3300
Oregon +3300
Texas +3300
Iowa State +4000
North Carolina +5000
Wisconsin +5000
Here's the preseason question for the ages, Who will be the 4th?
Clemson and Alabama can be 1-2, 2-4 but can't end up 1-4 or 2-3 because they would have to play each other on the 4-team playoff. It's a given that they'll both be in. Clemson will most likely lose to UNC in conference and might very well lose to GA but it's out of conference. Alabama will run the table.
Ohio State will be in no matter what, the playoff selection committee has made it clear since the first year (ranked 6th, seeded 4th) and solidified their position last year when there were 2 separate rules review meetings to amend the requirements to accommodate OSU. There is no possibility the playoff selection committee will allow Clemson and Bama to play each other in the semis. Bad for business.

But who is the 4th team? Probably won't be Big12 again, OU is the only likely contender and they are so distant from either Clemson or Bama. Nobody in the Pac 12 is any good, Washington is the best but even they are about on the level of Ole Miss, decent but not top 4. Notre Dame got their turn.

So who is 4th? If you think it's purely results based look up the voting committee.

My prediction is 1 Bama, 2 Clemson, 3 Ohio State, 4 Washington (only because it's been a couple years and Pac 12 gets a turn).
Bama beats Washington by 30, Clemson beats OSU by 8. Bama beats Clemson by 22. It's easy to be a football analyst when you know in August who will go to the playoffs!
Can't wait for them to expand the series.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Looking forward to the college season.
Forget the mindless pro comments. It’s way past time players get to reap the fruits of their labors not the NCAA

HOOK ‘EM HORNS!!!!

sudogeek

Tele-Holic
Haven’t really followed college football since I left Charlottesville in the last century. Glorious Fall afternoons at the world’s largest outdoor cocktail party. Oh, and there were some people playing football on the field, if you cared to watch.

I really think pro scale football programs are incompatible with college. I think elite players would be better served by Euro-style sports academies. I would ban athletic scholarships and the NCAA-run free farm system for the NFL. Never will happen though; too much money is involved.

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
There is only one World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party and that is the Georgia-Florida game in Jacksonville, FL.

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
My team, Georgia, starts off with a difficult game against ClemPson in Charlotte, NC. It is an outdoor stadium, which is somewhat odd because most of the special venue games early in the season are in a domed stadium with A/C.

I am concerned about the quality of UGA's OL and secondary. The OL has looked good on paper for Smart's tenure but has mostly underperformed. The former OC undoubtedly left because he did not like being dressed down over the headset in games when the OL could not move the defense. Sam Pittman was the OL coach and he was probably not reluctant to leave that behind either. But it was there job to develop an OL and blocking schemes and they did not do it that well. I believe Matt Luke is doing a good job but the problem this year is inexperience and injuries, a number of good player was lost to the draft and graduation.

The secondary has been a weak spot ever since K. Smart arrived, which is ironic because he was a safety and coached the secondary positions. The team lost people to graduation and transfers, and one of the important transfers in is injured and out for several weeks. UGA also has a weakness against highly productive passing teams because it is still playing a 3-4 scheme and recruiting and maintaining too many linebackers and not enough cornerbacks, safeties, and hybrid secondary players (taller, bigger, but still fast that can assist as a linebacker or blitz like and end and provide good deep coverage) that one would find in a modern 3-3-5 or 5-2-4 scheme built to defend against the modern passing attack.

The two aforementioned, projected weaknesses may match up poorly against ClemPson. CU will pass a lot and if the Georgia secondary it bad, the ClemPson offense will score a lot of points. If the Georgia OL is bad, the UGA offense will not be able to protect the pretty good QB (JT Daniels) and will not keep up in scoring.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Have the Nebraska/illimitable game on and halfway not paying attention while I restring the LP for tomorrow, move some stuff around for the trash and unpacking the new rear window for the Jeep

Nebraska doesn’t look so good. 3rd quarter and Nebraska is down by 14.

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
Illinois beat Nebraska, and that is hard on the NE faithful and on Frost. I am not optimistic that Nebraska will be a major team in the near future because so many things have changed that work in favor of teams in more populous states.

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
It all starts in earnest this week.

Ohio State is the highest ranked team playing on Thursday night, and is playing an unranked Minnesota team. Go Gophers!

The Miama-Bammer game on Saturday afternoon is somewhat interesting.

The big one is the night game between Georgia and ClemPson and I am concerned how Georgia will do on the big stage with a questionable OL and secondary.

https://fbschedules.com/college-football-schedule/

DaddyG

Tele-Meister
Been a Buckeyes fan my whole life until they let Joe Burrow go. No more, in fact college ball is not fun to watch anymore for me.