College Football Season 2019

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarzan, Aug 24, 2019.

1. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Texas has too many injuries and too little experience in the replacements. Sam, by himself, can’t do it all. I’m resigned to a suck season. Now it’s time to cheer for those that can make my life a little happier.

Shuster likes this.
  2. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, for a team that was declaring, "We are back!" Texas has had a really bad year.

That loss to Texas in the Sugar Bowl and then to S. Carolina shows how bad Georgia can play.

I dread seeing Georgia getting spanked by LSU, but life goes on.

"Third and Coley" is not going to cut it against LSU. An OC has to be more creative than just trying to run the ball between the tackles when the opposing defense is stuffing the box.

3. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

As long as ou gets clipped I’ll consider it a good year.

4. DaddyG

DaddyG Tele-Meister

As a lifetime OSU Buckeyes fan, I am hoping someone knocks them off this year. Joe Burrow left ( I don't blame him ) and he was the best QB. I was hoping that Tom Herman would become OSU's coach but that didn't happen. Hopefully, LSU and OSU will end up in the National Championship game. I hope LSU stomps them if that game takes place. It would be great to see Joe Burrow say " Thanks Buckeyes ". College football is getting to be too big of a business. Maybe the NFL should make huge donations to a scholarship fund for students that can handle a curriculum as payment for colleges just being " farm teams " for them.

5. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Even though the Nebraska football season has been disappointing we still have a big game this Friday- Iowa @ Nebraska.

Not many give NU a chance but I hope they pull the upset. I think it all depends on how the center and QB play.

6. Guitarzan

Iowa and Kirk Ferentz are interesting to me. Iowa is a very patient school and program compared to virtually everyone else in FBS. Ferentz has been at Iowa a very long time time for modern football, since 1999. He has outlasted many coaches hired at that time and shortly thereafter at other programs, some of whom that even won national championships at other schools. Iowa is not a big state with a growing population and surfeit of talented players and they have to recruit out of state to get enough athletes to be competitive. He has produced some good years for them, but most are mediocre. But the expectations at Iowa seem to be more realistic than a lot of places that change coaches every 5-8 years, and they believe they have a good man and good coach and stick with him.

Based on what he has done at Iowa, I cannot help but wonder what he could have done at a school in a state with more homegrown talent. He is in his 60s now and a big name national program is probably not going to chase after him with the next change in coaches. But there might be a lesson in his tenure there for other schools that really do not have what it takes to be a word beater and national championship contender.

7. Guitarzan

8. Guitarzan

Tomorrow is rivalry Saturday, and there is a number of interesting matchups on. Oddly, several of them start at noon eastern time.

But the 3:30 slot is occupied by the best of them all, which is Bammer-Barners.

9. Guitarzan

I enjoyed watching football yesterday, there was a lot of good action. The Barn beat Bammer and it looks like the Tide will not be in the playoffs this year. Bammer had plenty of chances to win it without Tua despite the two interceptions for touchdowns but its defense never could shut down the Barn's offense

OSU took care of Michigan without much problem but UM was fairly competitive in the first half.

LSU pounded TAMU and it was never much of a game.

Georgia beat Ga. Tech after Tech put up a fight in the first half, which is about what everyone expected.

The conference championship games are going to be interesting. I don't believe ClemPson will have a problem, and it will be interesting to see if Wisconsin can do better against OSU (but I suspect OSU will win and be in the playoffs).

I hate to admit it, but I believe that LSU is going to beat Georgia in the SEC championship game like a rented mule.

I believe the 3 sure teams in the playoffs will be ClemPson, OSU, and LSU. Who gets the fourth spot will be interesting.

People outside the south are going to be ticked if Georgia pulls off a miracle win against LSU and the committee selects Georgia as no. 3 and LSU as no. 4 in addition to OSU and ClemPson.

A lot of talking heads are pontificating and wishing for a matchup [assuming a miracle and Georgia gets in] between UGA's Jake Fromm and OSU's Justin Fields (who transferred from UGA to OSU).

10. Guitarzan

The U. of Missouri wasted no time in firing Barry Odom. They canned him without much reluctance attributable to the fact that he is a Mizzou alumni.

Thus far, Arkansas and Missouri are two SEC teams looking for coaches. I believe they both have a common problem now as well after the admission of Mizzou and TAMU to the SEC. Arkansas, Missouri, and TAMU recruit players from Texas, and now that TAMU is in the conference, it changes the recruiting picture for all of them and provides and edge to TAMU. Further, in-state schools such as SMU, TCU, Baylor, Texas, and Houston have been pretty good at various times in the last few years and have affected the ability of out of state schools to recruit as well. Then there is a resurgent Oklahoma that recruits well out of Texas, and Okie State to a lesser extent.

If I were hiring a coach at Mizzou or Arkansas I'd strongly consider someone that knows the landscape in Texas well and well acquainted with and respected by the high school coaches there.

11. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I reiterate, Geaux Tigah's!

DekeDog likes this.
  12. Guitarzan

13. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

I live in SC, but I'm a Tar Heel. I like Clemson and will pull for them, but if it can't be them, I hope LSU takes it all. Never liked OSU. What's up with all of the power in the east, esp. the southeast? The west coast hasn't been strong in years.

14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I remember back in the day I was always bummed to hear the leaders.....

Nebraska,Oklahoma,Texas, USC or Notre Dame all the time

15. Guitarzan

Tomorrow is the big day!

There will be a lot to watch on the tele.

I am assuming UGA is going to lose to LSU so I will not be terribly disappointed if that is the outcome. If Georgia pulls one out, it will all be upside.

My predictions for the winners in the Power 5 will be:

OSU
    Oklahoma
    Clemson
    Utah
    LSU

16. Guitarzan

17. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

May I reiterate...Go Tigers!

18. Guitarzan

My prediction of Utah beating Oregon did not work out. I have not seen Utah play this year and bought into the general wisdom or hype.

Wisconsin put up a good fight in the first half, OSU made adjustments at half time, and shut them down in the second half.

As I predicted, LSU's pass attack was a mismatch for Georgia's lousy pass defense and they won handily.

I believe LSU and OSU are the two best teams and I hope to see them play in the NC game.

An interesting point of trivia is that Justin Fields has already been to a NC game. He enrolled early at UGA in January 2018 and was with the team when it lost to Bammer.

19. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

GEAUX

give Burrow the Heisman, we're done here

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.