College Football Season 2019

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarzan, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Stringbanger likes this.
  2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

LSU
    Geaux Tigers!!!

3. Guitarzan

The schools are all spending money in a sort of arms race to create a rock concert type environment and appeal to young recruits (as well as affect the minds of opponents). Georgia spent a bunch of money on a big scoreboard and video screen and on colored LED lights. I wonder if a bunch of AD's and coaches around the country saw the game on Saturday night and are now calling around to find out about the lights so they can put on their own light shows.

4. Guitarzan

They need to cut back on the rap music, the lights are enough.

Now that Game of Thrones is off the TV, we probably won't have to listen to the marching bands play the theme song at every break in the action. It is a good composition, but hearing it the first 101,000 times at football games was too much.

5. Guitarzan

There is not a number of great matchups this weekend, at least on the surface.

Penn State plays Maryland on a Friday night.

USC at Washington might be interesting tomorrow. There are no huge matchups for highly ranked teams. The Ole Miss-Bammer game and the UNC-ClemPson game do not appear to be big deals. UGA is not playing, it does not appear LSU is, and Ohio State is at unranked Nebraska. A weak Texas Tech is at Oklahoma.

BB likes this.
  6. Guitarzan

It looks like Auburn at Florida is the biggest matchup of ranked teams this week. UF has the home field advantage but I believe the Barn has the better team. I predict the Barn wins in a close one.

I hate UF and always want them to lose, more than even the Barn, and would prefer the Gators to win and set the table for a meeting of undefeated teams when Georgia plays them in Jacksonville. But I don't believe it will happen.

https://fbschedules.com/college-football-schedule/

7. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

BSU beat UNLV 38-13 last night. BSU now 5-0 for the season.

8. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

The Longhorns played a decent ga me yesterday.
    I only hope I can survive next Saturday

9. Guitarzan

The Gators helped themselves by beating the Barn.

They will be in another big match up next Saturday night in Baton Rouge. If UF and Georgia keep wining, the Cocktail Party will be huge this year.

10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Jump Around (House of Pain) has been a big thing here in Madison for a long time. The spending arms race is older. The whole program and sport are a warped version of a welfare system but it's a whole lot of money that makes a lot of people across demographics happy.

I expect the Badger band to still make most people most happy.

The guy who does all the stadium sound, lighting and media stuff is in our posse of MTB riders. I expect the music beyond the Badger band won't change that much but I know the guy's totally into state of the art networking for lights and sound. The John Morgridge connection Stanford also has means a lot of technology and money.

Morgridge has still given most here and beyond all that he and his wife's $175 million gift to create a fund for qualified poor kids of our state to get post-high school education is downright amazing.

5-0 and a bunch of home games in a row are making football really popular here this fall. If I knew better I'd have kept paying for my dad's 45 yard line seats.

:)

11. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Tomorrow - Texas/OU from the Texas State Fair & The Cotton Bowl!!!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  12. Ironwolf

Tomorrow, BSU 5 - 0 plays Hawaii 4 - 1 at Boise. Boise favored for the win.

13. Ironwolf

Boise State beat Hawaii 59-37. Boise now 6 - 0.

14. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

Ooops.

15. Guitarzan

Yes, Georgia and Florida both foundered before the Cocktail Party. But Georgia did well by winning it for the third year in a row and leaving Supercorch Danny Boy Mullet without a win against UGA. A number of guys leaving the team after this year will leave without a loss to UF.

Now Georgia has to win a difficult road game against Auburn, which just had a by week, two weeks to prepare, and home field advantage. UGA and AU enjoy playing the spoiler for the other, and the lower ranked team has won the game on many occasions. The CFP committee bumped UGA up to no. 4, which is higher than I would place them based on the team's [and coaching staff's] underwhelming performance. Georgia will be lucky to get out of Auburn with a win and clinch the SEC East. But even if that happens, it has LSU waiting on the other side for the SEC Champ. Game which is a more difficult rival than Bammer.

LSU has beaten four top 10 teams and appears to be a legit number 1 in the nation. I'm glad they bear Bammer, I'm tired of Bammer like everyone else. I don't know if anyone is going to beat them this year, they very well could win it all with an undefeated season.

It will be intriguing to see how long Baylor, OSU, and Minnesota can remain undefeated.

16. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

burntfrijoles and uriah1 like this.
  17. Guitarzan

Steve Ensminger was the OC at Georgia back in the early 1990s when Eric Zeier was the QB. He was pretty good but never elevated Zeier to the level Burrows has reached. Bringing in Joe Brady turned out to be a stroke of genius. LSU will end up giving him another contract with more money after this season.

Oddly, some yankees from Ohio that are on the OSU bandwagon and transplanted in Atlanta were talking trash about Justin Fields transferring to State, becoming a starter, and winning. They received a quick reminder that Joe Burrows was an OSU QB, they could not use him properly, let him get away, and he is at LSU putting up video game numbers and likely to play for a national championship (and perhaps win it).

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_e21196ee-f0ff-11e9-ac7e-d3241ea1977d.html

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_244705ca-04c0-11ea-8ae4-274355a88367.html

18. Guitarzan

The OU-Baylor game looked like a blowout and I tuned out but fortunately came back and watched the 4th quarter and a little more. That was a heckuva comeback.

We know it is going to be LSU and Georgia in the SEC Champ. Game now and I don't know if anyone is going to stop LSU or keep up with its offense. LSU and Ole Miss put up over 1,300 yards in combined offense and score 88 points. The Ole Miss QB is fast and is going to cause a lot of trouble in the west.

The Georgia-Auburn game was kinda boring and I'm glad UGA squeaked out with a win. UGA must find another OC that can plan for an entire game and make adjustments to use the best players on the team. The running backs are so underutilized it is sad, and he is not fooling anyone running the ball up the middle repeatedly. On rare occasions they run the sweep or other play outside the tackles they are getting valuable yards but they will not follow through and pound it hard enough to go back to the middle. The OL is overhyped and underperforming due to inconsistency. UGA was shut down late in the game and Auburn scored two unanswered TD's which brought to mind how it allowed Bammer to come back and win in the SEC CG and Nat'l CG. This guy will never find a way to keep up with LSU's pace of scoring and the UGA secondary/pass defense is the biggest weakness in the defense which favors LSU's offensive strength.

19. Guitarzan

Baylor and Minnesota both lost yesterday so the number of undefeated teams has diminished a lot in the last 3 weeks.

Tua T. suffered yet another injury on Saturday and this one ended his season. It is probably his last game at Bammer. With his injury record he has to be thinking about getting paid before his number comes up once and for all; he probably does not want a career ending injury in college before he gets to sign a contract.

20. Guitarzan

Penn State did not have enough to beat Ohio State but did make it harder on OSU.

Lowly Arizona State knocked off Oregon in a fairly entertaining game (but likely not entertaining for Orygun fans). Herm may end up making something of ASU.

Georgia struggled with TAMU in the rain at home but won. The offense is a mess and gets bogged down, leaving the offense on the field for far too long. UGA's pass defense is not going to match up with LSU well, Burrows will throw for a lot of yards and score points, and Georgia will not be able to keep up. I'm afraid LSU is going to beat Georgia badly, in the neighborhood of 20 points.

LSU, Clemson, Ohio State and Georgia all won, so the top 4 teams will likely stay the same. Bammer won so they will be no. 5, but no. 6 Oregon will fall down and Utah may take its place. Baylor beat Texas and will be up there behind Oklahoma, and Florida and Minnesota will be up there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.