College Football Season 2019

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarzan, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

It is already here. The games start today, and the better one will be Miami at U. of Flaraduh tonight at 7 PM EDT. UF is the home team but I am not sure they are playing in G'ville.

Ga. Tech has a new coach and will be playing at ClemPson on Thursday night, 8/29. It will be interesting to see what O and D the new staff will run with a team recruited to run an option offense, and I am curious to see if GT can hang with ClemPson.

dented and Stringbanger like this.
  2. Guitarzan

I predict that Flaraduh will win tonight but would like to see MU beat them, just because I hate both teams but hate UF worse.

Lawdawg likes this.
  3. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

Most teams start next Saturday. I am glad the season is starting.

4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Love the college game ... No way of knowing what can possibly happen ... Which is why it is fun ...

5. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

The Miami Hurricanes vs. Florida Gators game is being played tonight in Orlando. It is ostensibly a "neutral site" but Orlando is overwhelmingly Gator country.

6. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Yippety Do-Dah! It’s about time! My Nittany Lions are questionable on the O side of the ball, but the D looks pretty good.

8B0D3AB5-B899-4B7E-82CD-9215D1B9E2CC.png

Note: Our QB from last year, Trace McSorley, did a fine job against the Philly Eagles on Thursday night. Playing as a 3rd stringer for the Ravens, he threw for two TDs, and he ran one in! My wife and I were torn, because we are Eagles fans, but we like McSorley.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  7. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

79D75034-3BBD-4EBC-95DF-48501C4E5715.jpeg

TheGoodTexan, Shuster and dented like this.
  8. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Miami looked horrible, young and mistake prone. Go 'Cuse!

giphyoo.gif

9. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Meister

images.png
    I am interested to see if PJ Fleck can take this team anywhere. He is a character, and then some.

10. Guitarzan

Florida won as expected, but it was an ugly one.

UF does not yet have a good QB, which is fine with me. The benefit to UF of the game against an FBS rival is they have their mistakes on film to study and correct.

Lawdawg likes this.
  11. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

I would be shocked if Clemson wins by less than 21 (the current line is Clemson -36) as it's pretty tough sledding changing to and from an option-based team. The change should help the GT defense in the short term. In today's college game it's impossible to field a solid Defense that only practices against teammates who play the option.

12. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted

Yah, that last quarter of the Miami v Gators was a travesty. Gators were obviously better...but ball handling was horrific, decision making was horrific. If the 'canes' front line wasn't a sieve...

We'll be playing Duke this coming Sat. Hopefully, Tua has matured a bit since last season.

13. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

As a Georgia fan, I strongly endorse Feleipe Franks' continued reign as starting QB.

14. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

The Kansas Jayhawks are currently ranked at the top of the Big 12.

dented likes this.
  15. Guitarzan

Ga. Tech is playing at ClemPson tomorrow night at 8 PM EDT. But it is on the ACC network instead of ESPN, where it should be. ClemPson would be a big draw since it won the last big one, and GT having a new coach and offense adds some intrigue. I am curious to see how long GT can keep it close.

https://fbschedules.com/college-football-schedule/

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  16. Guitarzan

We all do.

But I wonder how long FF will be the starter if he continues playing at the same level he has played his entire tenure. At some point Mullen may have to make a decision like Swinney made lasted year with Bryant and Lawrence based on the potential upside and long term benefit to the team. Of course, Lawrence's upside manifested faster than one might expect and he won a championship as a true freshman and I don' imply that UF's back-ups are on that tier. If FF is going to peak out at the mediocre level, Mullen might go with Emory Jones or another.

Lawdawg likes this.
  17. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Watching the Clemson-Georgia Tech game. I expected a lot more from GT. Probably won’t get past halftime

18. Guitarzan

I watched the game until half time, and then checked back in a couple of times thereafter. It was not pretty at 52-14. I was surprised that Swinney played Lawrence and Etienne so much in the second half.

The upside is that if GT is still that bad at the end of the season, UGA may trash them as well.

There is a total of 8 games on tonight but none of them are really any good. Maybe Colorado-Colo. State may be a little bit interesting, they are coached by two former SEC coordinators. Bobo may be in trouble at CSU if he has another bad season.

https://fbschedules.com/college-football-schedule/

19. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Not sure what you were expecting from GT. GT is switching from the triple option system, and simply does not have the scholarship players necessary to run a modern NCAA offense. They'd have trouble against an average Big 5 team right now, let alone a juggernaut like Clemson. GT will start improving after they get a couple new classes of recruits who can play in a different scheme.

20. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I don’t know. Maybe a little more effort?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.