1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

College Football 2016

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarzan, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Some of my observations about half-way through....

1, Holy cow, Alabama. It just ain't fair.
    2, Ohio State appears to have the mettle and mental toughness required for playoff success. Come from behind at Camp Randall was impressive.
    3, Southern Cal doesn't look as bad as they did early.
    4, Louisville and Houston don't look as good as they did early.
    5, CU Buffs appear to be decent.
    6, Clemson probably has one of the best teams, but man did they get lucky yesterday.
    7, Michigan appears legit; having Harbaugh in college football is fun.
    8, My playoff right now, in order of confidence: Bama, Clemson, Ohio St, Michigan

2. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

It was funny to hear the announcers preview the A&M/Bama matchup during the blowout yesterday.
    "when is Saban going to rest his starters for the big game next week?, is what he said. I am only a casual A&M fan (root for Texas schools)but I don't know if I would call it a big game. The drop off from Bama to the Aggies is going to be quite significant. I'll pull for the Aggies, but I expect the tide to roll.

U Of H is struggling being the hunted, after they got so much hype over the end of last season and into this one. We will see if they can make the adjustments and play to their potential. A loss to Navy and close one to Tulsa prove they not quite ready to be considered a top tier team.

Wisconsin broke my heart last night, I'm really enjoying watching that o-line block in the running game.
    I thought they were going to pull off the upset.

Oh yeah, that Arkansas Defensive back made a heck of a play on Chad Kelley to cause that fumble.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    Colo Springs E likes this.
  3. Colo Springs E

Yeah, I can hope T A&M pulls the upset, but it won't do much good. I expect something like a 14 point Bama W, but hey you never know.

4. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

You can pretend to know what you think you know, but the Washington people I know were disappointed at how long it was taking to make progress after seeing his teams at Boise State.

Georgia and Smart? Anyone with common sense knows that UGA has serious personnel problems on the line of scrimmage, in the secondary, and at receiver. The last regime never put together the right recruits on the LOS while securing good skill players, and that was the difference between Georgia and other programs. UGA is having to start a grad transfer at left tackle with a right handed, freshman QB. That tackle was second team all conference in the Cupcake Mid-Atlantic last season, and Georgia has to start him.

The old staff could not see it and did not even try to recruit the kind of guys winning it all for Bammer, etc. Smart was at a program at which it was understood what players were needed and set a benchmark, and he has publicly stated his recruiting intentions. Thus far, Smart has impressed with his recruiting. It will take 2-3 seasons to get his guys in place and in a posture to start seriously competing. With the doubling of the population in the last 25 years in this state, the number of prospects playing FBS ball and in the NFL from the state, and the major football county (Gwinnett) less than an hour from the back door of the athletic department, there is no excuse for Georgia not to be a contender in the SEC and at the national level. It will not happen overnight because there are many gaps to fill and those who fill them will need time to develop.

5. Guitarzan

Bammer is tough even with a young and relatively inexperienced QB. At this point in the season, it is hard to pick a team that is better and even tough to pick someone that is going to be a close competitor.

Many teams that look like an "It" team for a while keep losing, like Houston, Louisville, Ohio State, etc., and Bammer keeps on pounding them. I'm tired of Bammer winning so much, it makes it harder for my team to recruit in-state players.

It appears that Michigan, ClemPson, Washington, Nebraska, West Virginia, and Baylor are the other teams to watch. ClemPson has been very lucky and it looks to me that its luck will run out like it did for Tennessee.

6. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Navy.

7. xland

xland Tele-Holic

I'm looking forward to the Washington vs. Utah game this weekend, easily the biggest test for UDub so far this season.

8. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Pitt beats Clemson ?

dented likes this.
  9. Colo Springs E

Auburn appeared to be getting better (though last week's close call to Vandy was worrisome), but I knew they'd lose to a pretty sub-par Georgia team. The bulldogs have owned my Tigers the last 13-15 years. Bummer, had they handled Georgia, I might've thought they had enough to at least hang with Bama.

Nope.

Surprised Clemson lost, but they sorta been playing with fire all season.

USC playing much better, and up on Washington at the half. Gut-check time for the Huskies-- Their championship hopes are 30 minutes from saying bye-bye.

10. Guitarzan

Well, that was an interesting Saturday in college football.

Going in, the match-ups looked pretty lame because there were so few ranked pairings. But that did not help the Top 10 teams that went down to the unranked and lesser ranked teams.

ClemPson fell to Pitt.

Michigan fell to Iowa.

Washington fell to U.S.C.

Number 9 Auburn fell to Georgia.

Alabama is still undefeated and is sitting in the catbird seat. It will be interesting to see if Auburn gets healthy and at least challenge Bammer. I'm glad Georgia will not be playing Bammer in the SEC Championship Game.

11. Guitarzan

ClemPson's luck ran out.

12. Guitarzan

Hearing Unknown Hinson rap "Auburn Sucks" never gets old. :D:D

e44crowe likes this.
  13. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Wisconsin Badgers should be ranked in the Top 5 this coming week

14. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Way to go Hawkeyes!! They may or may not be a top 25 team. But they beat #3...as Hayden Fry used to call them, the guys with the funny hats. Sorry Michigan fans.

AJ Love likes this.
  15. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

The Big Ten is all screwed up now. Ohio State should be ranked highly but they have no path to the Big Ten championship game if Penn State wins out (and their last 2 games are easy).

16. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm still not sure if Saturday's win was because UGA has improved so much, or because Auburn just couldn't get off the dime, but Ga. owned the second half, completely. The right-handed freshman QB, a Richt recruit, is looking better and better every week.

LOL, love Auburn Sucks rap. Truly.

17. Guitarzan

Georgia is definitely not that much better. I expect them to underperform against UL-L and Ga. Tech.

UGA is just lucky that it hit the Barn at the right time, when it had injuries to key players on a shallow roster. With a QB and the two good RB's dinged up, they just could not function and were reduced to being a passing team, which is not their thing.

Georgia's offense moved the ball between the 20's, but could not score a TD in an important conference game. That is a sign of problems. The problems spring from the LOS, and the fact that our OC and OL coach are underperforming relative to the hype and big contracts. I've not spoken to one alumnus or bandwagon fan that is impressed with the OC. He is purported to be a guru, but his record does not bear it out. He underperformed as OC once before in the SEC when he was at UT under Dooley. The trivial level of production that he has gotten out of the RB's and TE's that we have on the team is puzzling; any good OC should have them on the field more and figure out formations and blocking solutions to get more from them.

18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Western Michigan
    Go MAC

19. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Does Louisville deserve a playoff spot ?

After the way they played against Duke, Virginia, and Wake Forest I say no.

I think Alabama would shut them down.

Edit: perhaps embarrass them would be more likely than just shut them down.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  20. Guitarzan

The good news for Georgia is that it is virtually impossible that the team would have to play Bammer and get embarrassed in an SEC Championship Game.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.