College Football 2016

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarzan, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe the talk radio crowd does hate them as much. But the people I know that attended UT just say the TAMU people are different and weird, the Aggies don't live rent-free in their minds. The TAMU people I've met seem more obsessed with insulting UT and UT people. The sample is small, too.

2. Guitarzan

I forgot about the Stanford-Washingon game, but was quite surprised to see that score. All the talking heads have touted Stanford as the real deal in the PAC this year. So how long before UW soils the bed?

Georgia handled Tennessee pretty well the first half, and then took the second half off. UGA still led the whole game until the 4th Q until our genius offensive coordinator thought it would be a good idea to let the true freshman QB drop back into the end zone to pass when the tide had shifted and the UT D line was surging and pushing the O line around. The result was a tackle, a fumble, and an easy TD.

The Georgia drive for a TD was impressive. Then an idiot on the sideline ran onto the field for a 15 yd penalty to be imposed on the kickoff, some other dummy was offsides for another 5 yards, and that was on top of the poor choice to kick the ball short instead of kicking for the end zone or kicking a line drive bouncer that would be hard to field. The run back put UT into position to throw for the end zone, and the D did a poor job going to the ball.

Louisville found a way to make it interesting in the second half after taking a pounding in the first half. I saw a number of U of Louisville buses and accompanying charter buses passing through Atlanta during mid day today. I don't know who was on them, but they will be back in Louisville fairly late today.

3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I would agree that Horn fans hate Aggies but they can do so with the secure knowledge that A&M, in terms of athletic success, has always been inferior. I despise both fan bases but A&M doesn't really have the chops or history. What is that Texans say "all hat and no cattle"?!

Colo Springs E likes this.
  4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

So happy to see Les go. Wasted a lot of talent in Baton Rouge. I don't think Baylor would chose to go to a Model T offense (Les Miles pound and ground) after having a Tesla with Briles.

5. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

That's fair and makes sense. Around here they are equal opportunity when it comes to running one another down.

I agree with your comment, I just see so many Baylor fans that want a permanent seat at the adults table. I work with a Baylor grad who actually played football there. He is probably not the most representative of Baylor grads, but he has a single focus of proving that the Program is one of the best and not just coat tailing off RGIII and that er of success.
    I mentioned Miles at Baylor for the same reason I mentioned him going to UT. He has been successful in the SEC and has a championship. Some of these fan bases get wrapped up in that.

6. Guitarzan

Hurricane Matthew has things messed up for the weekend. Florida and LSU have postponed or canceled the game, and I don't know what they will do. The link discusses the potential problems.

Florida State and Miami are still reported to be on.

Georgia is playing S. Carolina in Columbia, which is affected by the threat to the coast, the possible need for the rooms in Columbia for evacuees, the potential rain, wind, and loss of power affecting the game directly, and the potential shortage of security because so many cops and other personnel may be needed in the coastal areas. It seemed to me early on that it would make sense to simply move it to Athens to eliminate virtually all of the foregoing adverse factors. They did not, and instead have moved the game to 2:30 PM on Sunday.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...he-sec/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

7. fendertx

Yeah, it's a stark reminder that these massive weather events put things on hold. A few people have real issues to deal with due to the storm and the rest of us have our football viewing interrupted. We were without power for almost three weeks after Ike. It would have been a nice distraction to put a football game on in the days following that storm.

8. po-boy

po-boy Tele-Holic

late to the party but i have to mention the U of South Alabama Jags - the Jags beat Misissippi State
    in Starkville in the season opener this year for their first win vs the SEC - last week the Jags played their first ranked opponent and beat #19 San Diego St here in Mobile - San Diego St had a 12 game winning streak going back to the last time they played South Alabama in San Diego and lost in overtime last year - South Alabama alum here ... as is my wife ... and my son and daughter-in-law ... and my sister-in-law ... and brother-in-law ... and niece and nephew ... and lets just call our family proud members of Jag Nation and owners of season tickets since day one - now if the Jags could just get their first Sun Belt win this year ... USA ! USA ! GOOOOO JAGS !

9. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

University of Washington ends Oregons 12 year win streak BIG time yesterday, 70-21. After taking out Stanford last week, the Dawgs are a team to watch. Jake Browning throws for six TD's and runs for two more...his 8 TD's for the game tie a Pac 12 record.

The Huskies have the nations best defense and the offense sure looks world class to me.

Being on the west coast, the Pac 12 get's very little mention (let alone respect) in the media. I would venture to opine that top to bottom, the Pac 12 is one of the toughest conferences in college football.

After 6 games, the Dawgs are 6-0 and Jake Browning (get used to that name!) has 23 TD's, 2 int's while completing 72% of his passes.....resulting in a QB rating of 204.5 for the season. Browning has amazing accuracy and a Howitzer arm. The thing I dig is (like Seattle's Russell Wilson) how he takes care of the ball.

John Ross (injured all last year) at wide receiver has been amazing this year. WR Dante Pettis has made some outstanding catches at key moments.

As a life long Washington Huskie fan, it's great to see the program coming back to the top. Hiring Chris Peterson was the key. Go Dawgs!

xland likes this.
  10. Guitarzan

How about little old Navy knocking off a top 10 team? I did not see the game, but I doubt that few people picked them to beat Houston.

Tennessee could not pull the rabbit out of the hat again, the luck [predictably] ran out. They are going to have to play a complete game against better competition to win. I doubt that they can beat Alabama (and doubt there are many teams that can).

Rutgers took an absolute pounding from Michigan; they beat UM just a couple of years ago.

11. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Navy! That was totally awesome. I watched from home but we had guests who went to the game.

12. fendertx

Navy with that offense is a true wild card. It seems every year a "ranked team" gets flummoxed trying to deal with that triple option. Last season U of H barely pulled out the win vs. Navy 46-40. This year Navy help the lead. Houston can still win the conference. As well as a win against Louisville would go along way to a New Years day bowl game, but the playoff is out of the question now.

I watched the A&M / Ten. game. Both teams squandered opportunities to deliver the knock out punch. The Aggies gave up a school record for yardage allowed. The Vols killed themselves with turnovers. The run down strip from behind that gave the Vols the ball on a touch back was one of the best plays I've seen all year.

13. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Washington over Oregon 70-21.

Next question? :D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    BB likes this.
  14. Guitarzan

Next question:

How many bandwagon Washington fans will emerge on this thread then disappear once the Huskies soil the bed? :lol:;)

15. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Next answer:

The only soiling going on will be in the underpants of the coaches who have yet to face the Huskies.

xland and wmsimpson like this.
  16. Guitarzan

Easy, killer.

I agree that they look good on the surface. U-Dub has a good coach in Peterson, and it has taken him longer than many expected to make the program relevant. The program finally has a marquis QB, as well.

But before people get too giddy and start booking rooms for the championship game, they should take a closer look at the strength of the opposition on that schedule. Stanford is the only team with a winning record and any rank played so far, and it could lose a couple of more to make that win look far less significant. Then there is the strength of conference issue, and the ability to look good and fresh in the showcase games because they are not challenged every week and pushed to the wire to keep every starter in for every single play. Things might be a bit different if they had to play every week against teams with linemen averaging 316 pounds and a number of 5 stars in skill positions that were hard to run down.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-16/2016-washington-huskies-football-schedule.php

17. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

After tonight's dismal performance against Duke I agree they are not ready for prime time. That was a sad showing at home.

18. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Duke is a decent team... but I agree. L'ville is not nearly as good as most of us once thought.

Wyzsard likes this.
  19. Colo Springs E

Not seeing too many Georgia fans crowing on here.... where are they all at?

20. Colo Springs E

LOL 'longer than expected?' Third season, and (for now) looking like a CFB playoff contender? Mmm-kay.
    They probably have a little bit more realistic expectations at U-dub, it ain't Georgia where they probably expected Kirby Smart to win the national championship this year.... how long before he's on the hot seat lmao

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.