College Football 2015

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarzan, Sep 2, 2015.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Quite possibly.

As a fan I'd rather watch them scratch & fight their way to a 4-6 record against great teams than be 8-0 vs Creampuffs and 0-2 vs Alabama & Iowa

They played one of the worst games I've seen a Badgers team play in a decade or so today and still won. People around here complain about them not being in the Top 25 since they are 8-2, give me a break!

2. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

The SEC did wonders for Texas A&M, but I think Texas' fall helped a little.

3. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

But A&M still hasn't figured out how to play defense. They are stuck in the Big12 "video game" mode...lol

4. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

You are so right! I've been on the A&M roller coaster since the late 80's.
    Defense used to be their calling card, now they try to out score people.
    They are a good team that has not figured out how to be a great team.

5. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

They certainly did. FSU made mistakes and let it get away, but it was an entertaining game overall. ClemPson may be a better team that I credited them for being.

Now, what is going to cause chatter and criticism is if another team outside Georgia makes it to the championship game with a QB that played high school ball in GA. Deshaun Watson played high school ball in Gainesville, GA and ClemPson jumped on him early and wrapped him up before UGA and Ga. Tech even got started well recruiting him.

6. Guitarzan

Four or more undefeated teams that were potential contenders (in the view of the talking heads) for the final 6 lost this past weekend.

Mich. St., Memphis, LSU, and TCU.

Bammer is deep in personnel on the LOS on both sides of the ball. I don't know who is going to match up with them and beat them. Ole Miss clearly got lucky with 5 turnovers and that flukish tip 6 offensive play, and they still only won by a TD or so. Bammer has been hell on wheels since that loss.

I expected Bammer to make Fournette look more human, but I expected him to get around 100 yds rushing anyway. I did not expect that kind of shutdown. LSU's O line and running game were exposed, and that game kinda made Georgia's pathetic running game against UA look a little more respectable. Chubb ran for close to 150 yds, about the same that Henry got that day, but Henry's yards actually mattered.

7. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

As much as I hate to say it, 'bama looks like the cream of the crop right now. What they did to LSU was eye-opening. Only thing is, I can't stand them...

But last year, heading into the playoff, 'bama looked like the favorite, at least to me, and we all know what happened...

8. keeffan

keeffan Tele-Holic

Bama is definitely good, but as great as their defense is, they have trouble with spread offense and mobile quarterbacks. I'm a Clemson boy (no d@mn P in there) and am enjoying this year so far. Hope we keep rollin...

9. MDMachiavelli

Let's hope Mississippi State can pull one out of their ass and beat Alabama this weekend.

10. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Speaking as a diehard Alabama fan I can't really disagree. Nick Saban despises the spread and I'm sure it's because of the unpredictability of it. Nick seems much more comfortable facing teams with a traditional offense where you line up and go. Look at teams that have given them trouble in the past few years and it's either spread teams or qb's that scramble well. What they did against LSU was pretty much what everyone assumed they'd have to do to beat them. Once Fornette was shut down they had no choice but to rely on an inexperienced QB and then it just became tee off time.

I really don't think they trust Coker at QB either because he always seems on a short leash, basically "Just don't do anything stupid". One troubling statistic pointed out in the LSU game was the fact that Alabama leads the SEC in offensive plays for negative yardage. Not really a category you want to lead in :confused:

With next week at Miss St (where they face another team coming off a bye...AGAIN!!) if they can pull through then the meat grinder is over. The defense is playing great, the offensive is steady so hopefully they keep rollin'..(see what I did there? :D)

11. MDMachiavelli

Mississippi State didn't actually have a bye, they just had a Thursday Night Game, but but your point is well taken. They got the much needed rest, before facing the best team in the SEC, and possibly the nation.

12. MDMachiavelli

Possibly, but I was referring to primarily their stature in the college football world. They have definitely improved respectability wise since joining the SEC. I guess you could argue that other things helped like Sumlin joining, Manzel, and the the downfall of UT. But in the end I think joining the SEC helped just as much if not more.

By the way, shouldn't you be pulling for UTEP?? :D

13. Guitarzan

Yes, Lane Kiffin happened. He put the game on the QB's shoulders and he threw an INT at the goal line instead of putting the ball in Henry's hands and continuing to run sweeps, which OSU never shut down.

14. Guitarzan

A state this is hard to believe. I would assume that Georgia, Vandy, Kentucky or Missouri would lead in that category. Georgia managed to make Coker look like an All-American when they played.

15. Guitarzan

Baylor, TCU, and Memphis have losses now, and the number of undefeated teams that actually play a competitive schedule in the FBS has significantly narrowed. Now, ClemPson and OSU are the two big ones.

Bammer looks like it gets better every week.

ClemPson was probably a little flat and hung over after the big one against FSU.

Houston and Memphis turned into a shootout.

Georgia and Auburn were both over-rated at the no. 7 position earlier in the season, and had a predictably boring game but also a rare game in that it had no significance for the post-season aspirations of either bad team.

16. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Iowa.......will they get crushed when they meet a really good team, like Ohio State? Or will they just keep on winning? Since they almost never beat Ohio State (once or twice in the last 50+ years) I'm guessin' they'll get creamed by them or any major bowl team. OTOH, 10-0? Never.

17. DaddyG

DaddyG Tele-Meister

Wish I knew who OSU is this year. Meyer is a great coach and seems to do mind games w/ the players, but somehow it's just enough. I keep thinking the bottom is going to fall out. I remember last year when some people expressed their hatred of OSU on this forum and I wondered where that comes from. Seemed to be geographical. I don't get riled up about any team, I just want the Bucks to win and shut up the people on SportsCenter and the variuos programs that are saying they are not that good. To me, they are a prime time team, that is, they play better in a high profile game. Remember last year? They were underdogs in their last five games. They were pretty convincing in winning all of them. They may not do it again but they've had a good run. I think Meyer has something up his sleeve w/ Braxton Miller that will surprise some upcoming opponents. Look how good Tom Herman is doing at U of Houston. I wish they had him back because he made the Bucks a better team. Anyway, we may all be surprised at who ends up on top, it would not bother me if someone new to the National Championship wins it.

18. Guitarzan

Well, it was an interesting weekend.

Ohio State finally lost, as I predicted earlier in the thread. The problem with taking days off and playing poorly and coming back to win a squeaker is that eventually you play someone with more drive, the breaks go against you, and you lose.

Okie State is an historical choke team, and they did it against Baylor.

Big Game Bob almost let one slip away against TCU.

Florida's players decided to take a game off, and they had to go to OT to beat Florida Atlantic.

Georgia's players decided to take a game off, and they had to go to OT to beat Georgia Southern.

Miss. State and Arkysaw had a shootout, and MSU had to block a kick to win 51-50. The 2 QB's threw for over 900 yards passing combined, and Allen of Ark. threw for 7 TD's.

19. Guitarzan

Utah lost to UCLA and apparently eliminated itself from winning the PAC South.

LSU lost again and has fallen hard from its lofty poll position earlier in the season. The OL and rest of the team have not support Leonard Fournette well, and he looks like just another running back. LSU people have been down on Miles for a while for bad game/clock management and taking stupid chances, and believe he has not won enough for the number of players they've been putting into the NFL. There is a lot of talk about his future, and reports are that a buyout is under consideration.

20. Razzle

Razzle Tele-Meister

Les is a classic example of those who do less with more. With the kind of players he has, he should be top shelf, not 2nd shelf.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.