college debt

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ndcaster, Mar 13, 2019.

1. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Fuel the Minds of Our Children

May it be proposed that this important legislation take precedence to fill the glaring gap in our education costs.

There's a real problem north of our border. Our Canadian friends have what we'd call a labor shortage in the great regions of Alberta and elsewhere. Good jobs are available but not good workers.

That's why I've teamed up with our friends at in the Energy Sector and together we've worked out a sustainable plan for our children's future.

For each year of their labor in wonderful Tar Sands of the North our kids will get a voucher for a negotiated amount of credit hours. After completing a number of years in the wonderful work camps the great minds of our youth will be free to cash in their vouchers for tuition assistance at home.

And, in gratitude to our brothers & sisters in the Energy sector as part of this legislation for every dollar the Energy industry pays in tuition assistance they receive a dollar and ten cents tax credit.

This plan ensures not only good old honest American work ethic be a part of earning one's education but also that no one gets any free handouts while the government stays out of everyone's business...where the government belongs.

2. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

If I were young and going to make a college decision and money was an issue, or if advising a young person in that position, College of the Ozarks would require serious consideration. One can go there and work throughout the 4 years and get a degree plus practical experience and walk out with away without debt. COTO is, in my opinion, a model to inform a thought process in which people step back and ask, "If we were to invent a college concept and process today from scratch to serve u snow and the future, what should it look like?"

The Keeters of the Royal Oak Charcoal Company are substantial benefactors and have things on campus named after them. The Keeters moved company HQ to the Atlanta area some years ago but retained the ties to MO and the school.

https://www.cofo.edu

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Joking? Alberta is in a recession and extraction has gone quiet. Also, if you say "tar sands" instead of "oil sands" in Alberta you'll be, er, oiled and feathered.

4. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Yes! :)

5. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

My wife and I both made decent money...And our daughter got an athletic scholarship...But even if that didn't happen, we were prepared to pay her full tuition.
    As it happened, her getting a full ride, resulted in her getting a brand new Camaro SS on her 16th Birthday...That was a huge mistake, and an entirely different story, with it's own (now obvious lesson.)

The key here being ONE child..... Could we have provided tuition for a second child? Probably, but people having litters of children need to realize, that it's a parents responsibility to raise/educate children...Not the State or Fed's.

And I'm not taking ANYTHING away from those that paid for their own education....If you went that route, you have nothing but my utmost respect!!

Life can throw curveballs, and I understand that....But I see WAY too many people squeezing out kids, who don't even have a solid plan for the first months diapers.

6. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Both of my sons just finished college debt free. How?

Since research shows the college you attend provides no difference in income or earning potential we gave them and option. Go to the local community college for 2 years while living at home and then the cheapest state college and we would pay for it if they also worked during to pay their own living expenses.Their other choice was to chose any college they wanted and they were on their own and we would not co-sign for them to have a student loan. They chose wisdom over debt. The other requirement was we would only pay for degree fields we approved of, which were any with good job potential. No way we were wasting our money on a degree in underwater arobics.

One chose to stop after 2 years and now has a good job as an mechanic at an area GM dealer. The other chose to work full-time after 2 years while working his way thru college. We had to obviously save to be financially able to cover their college but the affordability of the cheapest schools made it doable. They have started life debt free with education's that are usable.

Eric

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    bcorig, Boubou and Bones like this.
  7. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I live a couple of miles from College of the Ozarks and know several faculty members administrators and alumni. It is a good place for some students. A big part of the focus there is on the promotion of conservative Christian values and patriotism. There are strict codes for student conduct as well as required chapel attendance. For students not interested in these things, the school might not be a good fit.

The campus is lovely. There is a modern dairy on campus and a fine restaurant that is a part of the culinary and hospitality education program.

My impression is that a relatively small number of graduates go on to graduate and professional schools.

While the school is selective in the sense that it turns down a lot of applicants, the average ACT and SAT scores of those admitted is not high. The student body largely comprises of students from small towns and rural places in Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma. Diversity is not a mantra.

8. BigDaddyLH

I thought you were, but I wanted others to know. Less that obvious humour rarely works on the web.

deytookerjaabs likes this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

That's an interesting question: do you want there to be people different from you on campus, or rather similar to you. I'm not saying one is right or wrong, but that one should think about it.

10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I get robo calls every few days from some lady who says she can eliminate my student debt, so it must not be very hard.

Too bad I don't have any. When I went to school state university tuition per semester was a three-digit number.

SolidSteak likes this.
  11. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Unless that degree TEACHES YOU HOW TO DO SOMETHING it’s worthless. This goes for undergraduate as well as graduate degrees. Law degrees are becoming worthless - a plurality of law graduates end up in vocations that are not directly Law. People I talk to in that siuuryation tell me it didn’t help them one bit and not they are saddled under mountains of debt.
    The degrees in the Social “Sciences” are completely worthless unless one gets a job at a University and, guess what? THOSE jobs are going to disappear.
    One of my colleague was grousing that his daughter at the University of Chicago changed her major from Pre Med to English so she could write poetry. I gave him the magic words “Community College”.
    Automation and the collapse of higher education will lead to a Universal Basic Income which will infantalize the population turning large numbers into wards of a custodial state. A society where everyone is watched, where everyone has their speech monitored, where everyone has an allowance is called a prison,, because that’s how prisons work.

12. BigDaddyLH

Whoa, where'd that come from? Politics much?

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Hard to say it but that seems to be the only solution.
    We here in Oz had free University level Education in the 1970s. Yep, FREE. Prior to this only the rich could afford a higher education- we had a " brain drain' in the swingin' sixties where many with a degree just left for swinging London, many never to return.Our Government wanted to give all an equal opportunity for Education, we needed doctors, teachers , engineers,surveyors, accountants, financial people etc. to keep on building this good country we now have and educate it's population.
    Lots of people took advantage of this, even quitting jobs, to do what they really wanted to in life, and the country benefited.
    Then came " Student Loans" where once you reach a certain salary level , you paid it off out of your income.
    That's the way it is now. For some lucky young people their parents pay as they go. We had 3 out of 4 of us at University at one time and only my Dad's income- not enough to do study, but for this initiative.

I don't have an answer the OP other than that's the way it is. Study, find a job you're happy with and pay the loan off or ask for Parental Assistance if you can.
    I wish Education were free but not likely as fee- paying students from Asia come here in their thousands as our Degrees are worth it, most countries accept our qualifications and you can work most places.

14. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I for one feel like my tax dollars are well spent to make higher education available to others. The payoffs for me are enormous. One, the proportion of ignorant people living around me is reduced. Two, I reap the benefits of having modern conveniences like clean water, reliable electricity, a court system which can have some hope of jurors who have critical thinking skills, a competent physician to take care of me when I'm sick, artists and musicians to entertain me, writers to create works of literature which engage me, and so on.

Monetarily it may seem like a "free handout" when the prospective student is enrolling in university in their youth, but they pay it back with their own tax dollars later in their own careers.

15. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Wow, I'm glad you guys weren't my parents. I think these days the CC for 2 years makes sense but I would never want my parents deciding what I was going to study and I would never force my kids (I have three) to have my wife and I approve their field of study.

I would offer guidance and talk to them but if my child wanted to study something they were passionate about I would encourage and support them.

For me, the college I attended gave me a big advantage in terms of networking and getting me opportunities that I wouldn't have had if I would have gone somewhere else. I'll agree that's not really the norm but at the end of the day I would rather my kids spend 4+ years studying something they're really passionate about vs doing something that's going to give them a good paying job they hate.

Different philosophies.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  16. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Rough for sure. Last year my wife's cousin from Greece moved in with us so she could study here in the USA.

17. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Hey guys... there are few posts in this thread that could be considered/interpreted as "hateful". There are a few that are on the edge of political.

A couple of suggestions that have worked for me over the years:

(1) If I get emotionally involved in a thread (mad)... I'll take a day or two off from the TDPRI. Then come back fresh and avoid that thread. If I need to avoid a certain member for a couple of days, I may do that too. At some point they'll post something that is genuinely funny, and I'll forget why I was frustrated.

(2) Re-read your posts in threads like this before you hit "Post Reply". If there are politics in it, edit that part out. Just do it. (Hint: I'm giving some of you an opportunity to do that right now).

t guitar floyd and SolidSteak like this.
  18. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

600.000 young people (age between 20-40) all of them highly educated moved out since 2015.
    This in a country of 10.000.000 (with 3.000.000 pensioners (who get paid by the rest of the residents taxes since all pension funds were destroyed during the crisis and lost all their funds) ,1.000.000 public servants (that produce no real wealth and get paid by the rest of the residents taxes) and 50% of the population over 50...)

This is the equivelant of 20.000.000 people moving out of the US in 4 years....(and 100.000.000 US residents beeing pensioners (paid by the country's budget and the tax payer's money) while 170.000.000 beeing over 50 and 81.000.000 beeing unemployed and 30.000.000 beeing public servants (that get paid by the rest of the residents taxes) )..

There will simply be no "Greece" left in fifty years...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  19. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Lol. Look at all the nerds proud of their book learnin.

20. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

I agree with those that say tuition costs are a bubble that will eventually burst. I think that may already be happening as more and more parents and students are not willing to take on that much debt. Opting more for lower cost trade schools and community colleges for at least a couple of years. (that's a good thing.)

Not sure when it happened (mid 80s-90s?), but at some point parents and kids started looking down on trade schools. Like those trades were beneath them in some way. I was one of the top few students in my high school class, but realized pretty early that a 4 year college wasn't for me. Despite getting good grades I left the 4 year college to attend a tech school. Getting into IT in the late 80s was a good idea and that technical education has served me well.

There is no clear-cut track for kids to take after high school. The challenge for kids and parents is to figure that out. It's not easy and every kid is different. I have seen mediocre grades-wise kids do great at 4 year colleges, and I have seen kids finish high in their HS class and do the opposite.

My son was able to get through 5 years at a $60K per year private school with only about $30K of debt. That $30K may seem like a lot now, but without the connections he made at that school he wouldn't have been able to get into his internship after his junior year. And without that internship the company wouldn't have hired him after graduation.

My daughter has a full cost of attendance scholarship to an out-of-state school so I don't have to worry about her. :D That's a different topic. The largest in-state college was going to offer her about $8K per year (all costs considered it is about $25K per year to attend), but she got a full ride from the out-of-state college. Kind of ironic that happens when the state I live in worries about brain drain.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.