1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Collectible guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PastorJay, Oct 26, 2020.

1. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

"collectible" can have to many interpretations
    to a "collector" of blue guitars, anything finished in blue is defined as "collectible"
    American-made guitars from 1960's and earlier seem to appeal to collectors worldwide

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

A collectable guitar as in one that will be instantly coveted? Collectable as in even if you're not a guitar player, the guitar would be a good investment, as in you can resell it at any time and almost certainly turn a profit? If so, I would say pretty much any "Pre-BS" Fender (1950-1964, before Leo Fender sold his company to CBS).

But of course, few of us can actually afford to buy and sell in that market. Still, collectability is doable on a more modest scale. This is quite subjective in nature. I'll give you a personal example: my 1953 Harmony Broadway archtop (model # H-954).

upload_2020-10-26_17-20-5.png

It's collectable to me because I'm an old geezer that knows about Harmony guitars. I began my guitar-playing life on my Dad's Harmony archtop in 1967. This past May I scored this one, which is a 1953. It is collectable to me not only because it's a Harmony archtop very similar to the one started on, but it's a '53, and I too have a 1953 "born on" date. So, like I said...subjective.

I paid $380 for it, which included a hardshell case designed for an archtop. So we're not talking big bucks here. I never plan to sell it, but if I had to I'd probably be able to flip for at least what I paid for it, but I might have to wait a while before the right buyer came along (meaning another old geezer like me, probably).

M2roadwarrior and P Thought like this.
  3. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I collect Backlunds (post 'rolleyes' emoji here), almost certainly THE largest private collection of those things in the whole damn world. I'm so proud!

As an investment they're almost certainly quite the treasure, but only because all but one of the nineteen or so that I have actually cost me some money, and that one was on sale when I bought it, so it was a rather good deal too.

Now I just need to live another century or two and see if they appreciate in value

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  4. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Tele-Meister

I don't buy guitars as "investments" but if I buy a guitar I try to buy at a price where I won't lose any money if I need or want to sell it.

I own an 1988 LPC that I bought about 8 years ago, I paid $2,300 for it and I have no doubt I could get at least that if I needed the money today.

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

And as soon as you take possession of it, make sure to deactivate it before it destroys itself as its final...'presentation statement'.

tubegeek and Torren61 like this.
  6. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

At least 42" deep is the building code for this area. That's for footings, for bodies you must go at least 6' deep, IIRC.

7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Screenshot_20201026-215025_Chrome.jpg

P Thought likes this.
  8. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Oh, sure, starve the Coyotes why don't you? Poor devils can't dig down more than a couple feet, you know.

flathd likes this.
  9. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Thats cool! I also have a birth year Harmony, mine's a '71. Funny they didn't change much in 18 years. 20181206_155719.jpg

LGOberean likes this.
  10. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Pastor Jay, I think you may have learned that anything can be collectible, but that does not necessarily mean that it is a good investment. I own 13 guitars, and every one of them is worth more than I paid for it. The truth of the situation, though, is that most have just kept up with inflation. Just one of them is worth 30 to 40 times what I paid for it 51 years ago. That doesn't matter, though, because I am not selling it. The reason for my collection is simply because they appeal to me, and I don't care if anyone else thinks that they are desirable.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'm almost 100% certain that yours is the very model I originally was searching for, an Archtone H-1213. That's the model I started on, albeit without the monkey on a stick pickup.

Wildeman likes this.
  12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

A good late 70s or early 80s Greco Les Paul ( like a Black Beauty). They are great. Also they are going up in value if that's what you want- I just love them as guitars.

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A $100M car?
    Yikes.
    Anybody who owns something like that should have to build a certain amount of low-income housing....maybe in his backyard!

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Collectible guitars belong to the broad category of things that mean little to nothing in the current day.

Watch Jay Leno shoot a recent “Jay Leno’s Garage P******c Edition” by himself for other things belonging to that group.

15. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Thank you for a useful answer. It's obvious that I didn't frame the question well, but I can use this. Thanks.

cravenmonket likes this.
  16. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

59 Les Paul 250K. I can use that thanks.

17. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

No problem. Other well-known collectible guitars:

'51 Telecaster (Nocaster)
    '59 Telecaster
    Fender Esquire
    Pre-war Martin, especially D-45 from the late '30s to the early 40s.
    1960 Gibson Explorer
    Pre-war Gibson SJ
    Late '50s Gretsch White Penguin

Some of these show up for sale on Reverb with moderate regularity. Others are like hen's teeth. Pre-war Martins are scarce and usually sell at auction or high-end used guitar boutiques in Nashville or LA. They can fetch in the hundreds of thousands of bucks.

18. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a small collection of Takamines. I have spent time enough on the (very small in comparison to TDPRI) Takamine Forum to know that there are collectors of Takamines who take it seriously. An EF75, for instance, would have them all over you. Some collect the annual limited-edition offerings. Some collect the "lawsuit" acoustics from the '70s.

My Takamines are collectible to me, thass why I keep them. I have chosen and kept each one because of its particular features and its compatibility with the rest of my collection, which I try to keep small within reason (confession: there's one more coming today!) Most of them I consider world-class instruments; that's how Takamine rolls with me. Although each of them might be a model thought desirable by some Tak collectors, none of them are "collector grade".

When I die I hope my family finds someone to play and enjoy each of them. Selling the lot of them wouldn't finance even one Ferrari, or probably even an EF75.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    M2roadwarrior likes this.
  19. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

upload_2020-10-28_15-10-49.jpeg upload_2020-10-28_15-12-11.jpeg upload_2020-10-28_15-11-39.jpeg

Here are three of my guitars that I hope are gaining in value. The Esquire and the Flower are "Crafted in Japan". The Set Neck book matched top Tele is just very unique in my opinion and it is is pristine condition.

Lost_N_Austin

P Thought and tubegeek like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.