Collard Greens--help me find this song

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Diamond Dave, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Tele-Meister

Hi folks--our band does an old R&B/blues tune that we call "Collard Greens," but I can't find it anywhere on teh interwebs. All I find is a current hip-hop song by "Schoolboy Q" and some old jazz tunes that aren't the same song. I wish I could tell you how it goes--it's a standard I-IV-V but I think the chorus includes a little slide up to the VI for maybe half a bar and then back. And there's a funky little riff that the verses are built around.

So, that's probably not enough to go on, but anybody have ideas what this song is?

2. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...are there lyrics involved? ...a chorus? might want to add anything else you know about it, because I'm thinking my interweb is pretty much the same as yours...

3. Diamond Dave

It's an instrumental. Maybe I'll put a clip up tonight of the chord progression in the chorus. That would be a dead giveaway I think. Maybe not. :confused:

4. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

there's a tune called "Collard Greens and Black-eyed Peas" that was something of a standard jazz/swing blues tune. Had a fairly recognizable riff. Here's a version by the Bud Powell Trio, with Bud Powell on piano.

this sound anything familiar? ...or is this one of the "old jazz" tunes that is not what you're looking for?

5. Diamond Dave

Thanks but it turns out it's an original by our lead guitarist! Sorry to have wasted anyone's time. :oops:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.