1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Coincidence? Facebook weirdness.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Facebook publicly denies this.

But...

In my family we play a game where we have "mad lib" style conversations about obscure objects, travel destinations, food/recipes. And you get points for your subject coming up on your phone feed and double points if you can get your word on someone else's phone feed.
    It's not that hard. Start talking loudly with your FB or Insta app open about (example) Cruise Vacations in Alaska or Low Calorie Vodka. Make sure your topic is something you personally would not search, in my case I'd cut off me jewels before touching diet vodka! You get the point. Obscure enough that you wouldn't already be on a distribution list for the product or service, but common enough that there would be some ad content available if you wanted it. That's it. Just talk. It works.

Tele-friend and RomanS like this.
  2. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Oh, and here's another thing that drives me nuts....

Screenshot_20200915-123152~2.png

BB likes this.
  3. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

No social media for me.....no Spacebook, No Myface, no Instacrap, so Snapchap.....the TDPRI is about as social as I get.

The real reason is my life is so unimportant and I have nothing to talk about....other than my beautiful grandkids and amazing granddog.

Ed Storer, richiek65 and bcorig like this.
  4. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

“And you will do what you are told until the rights to you are sold”.
    -Frank Zappa
    It’s here, it’s real and there’s no going back. Every word you write online is stored, everything you say in the presence of a “device” is recorded.

5. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m living like a refugee from Faceburg and Dorseyland. Have you hugged a TDPRI or Strat-Talk Moderator lately?

BB likes this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Have you seen what's happening at Apple?

They are about to release an IOS update (v14) that completely prevents data mining by apps. Most current apps that have switches that "allow you to turn off the snooping" don't actually do anything at all. But Apple has apparently responded to the backlash by their customers and they're taking action.

The huge concern for many is certain apps may no longer properly work once the IOS update is loaded.

Me--I have no apps on my iPhone beyond what it came loaded with, and I dumped several of those too.

Here's a discussion on the topic when it was first announced:

https://www.techspot.com/news/86629-apple-delays-predicted-ios-14-data-transparency-adpocalypse.html

Needless to say, Faceboob is freaking out because data mining is precisely how they make their money.

YOU are the marketable product.

BB likes this.
  7. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Deleted Facebook and Twitter months ago. I don’t miss the censorship at all.

papa32203, BB and 1955 like this.
  8. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Good move, MeWe seems like one of the better alternatives.

9. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

All these platforms are disgusting if you think about it.

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

so is chicken

11. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Why now, that's a gentleman's sport! A heavy load in a big truck discourages others from playing for long, though.

E5RSY likes this.
  12. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I’ve had the same thing happen to me when I was only THINKING about something . . . Soon saw an ad for it in my feed.

Scary stuff.

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Happens all the time. When I’m thinking about it I turn off my phone mic. But then I wanna do something I need it turned on for and we’re right back at it.

14. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

100% the world we live in now. If you have an internet capable device, you are being listened too 100% of the time. Sometimes even when they’re turned off. It’s no longer a conspiracy theory. It’s a widely accepted fact of modern day marketing.

15. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

It’s not just Facebook, it’s Amazon, google, YouTube, etc.

16. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Still old news.

17. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Had the same with a friend having a conversation about Fiat aBarth ( hands up if you even know what this is) ads all over Instagram and FB after, far to much if a coincidence given subject matter.
    And by the way, I only either by internet now, no apps, hasn't happened again

18. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I see a lot of ads for things I’m not interested in. I don’t pay attention to them. But I notice the ads for things that I am interested in.

I'm not denying the personal targeting of ads based on surveillance; only saying that it isn’t the whole story.

teletail likes this.
  19. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Almost made a tin foil hat after this happened.
    I get that if you Google search a product you'll get ads for that product. Don't know how it works but "they" track what you look at and you get advertising for it. Ok so that's just normal.
    This is weird.
    When I was getting my last Avion set up to go through a Minnesota winter one thing that concern me was the insulation on the upper half above the extensive skirting I built. Walls and calling are an inch thick with spray foam, great insulation for a camper but not so much for -40 in Minnesota.
    So I'm thinking JUST THINKING, if it gets bad maybe a tarp for a semi trailer would work, the things are easy to the down and can take wind. Thinking if need be I could put insulation under it.
    Next thing I know there an ad for Billy Bob's Discount Semi Truck Tarps!
    Had to be a coincidence but wow !

Never needed the tarp and I'm not quite ready for the tin foil hat just yet. :)

20. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Can we put Alexa in the forest and find out once and for all if a tree falls...........Oh never mind.

ozcal likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.