1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Coincidence? Facebook weirdness.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Apr 20, 2021.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Trixie just sent me this message. I'm a tough nut when it comes to this sort of thing, but it can make you wonder.

It appears that a conversation between two people, in the presence of their phones, resulted in advertisements for specific items that they were discussing almost immediately showing up on their Facebook newsfeed. I really hate wearing those tin foil hats, but sometimes, ya just gotta wonder.

Screenshot_20210420-164333~2.png

bcorig, radiocaster and idjster like this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

oh you better believe it. no conspiracy nuttiness there, just big corp ad tech

make no mistake about it, you are being monitored.

3. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

If they looked up that car at all at any time, targeted ads can show up. If you've ever linked your phone or computer to social media platforms, they are harvesting all of your online activity. A search on your computer then shows up as an ad on your phone, and vice versa.

teletail and SRHmusic like this.
  4. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Micro-banged Caesar-cut strikes again.

E5RSY and John Backlund like this.
  5. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

I think I'm just being paranoid, but every time I'm watching a program on Youtube, and I step away from my computer and walk out of the room - an ad begins to play. It's like Youtube knows that I'm not watching at that moment, and uses the opportunity to get some ad revenue. Watching the watchers? Creepy.

6. blowtorch

I wrote a song about this kind of thing
    goes a little somethin like this

7. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Well, as much as FB and Google say they won't scrape your messages for info to use in targeted advertising, it's perhaps too easy and profitable to ignore. FB has a long history of changing policies without notice, too. Remember, if it's free, you're the product!

8. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

if it makes you feel better, as a fun game my whole family and i left our phone mics on with facebook running in the background for a week or two when people were really paranoid about this, and we kept yelling to each other in the house about how we needed a new leaf blower - something none of us have ever really expressed interest in (my folks have a landscaper for years now) so results wouldn't be tainted by stuff we usually look at. we tried the general idea, brand names, etc. to trigger anything related to that on purpose for a while, and none of the four of us ever saw anything remotely related to our query.

you probably all left a browsing or messaging trail you don't even remember. or maybe you saw something in passing and that's why you were talking about it in the first place. i don't even remember what i was looking at on the internet an hour ago. never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. i think people realizing they're run of the mill and not unique (and therefore easily targeted or profiled) is a harder pill to swallow than big brother.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Wait, TDPRI is free.

10. blowtorch

Exactly ;)

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

You probably agreed to the mic being available to an app or the browser- like to use voice calls with Facebook messenger.

12. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I don't believe that any suspicion about corporate shenanigans is tin-foil hat area. They'll do anything to try to sell us something. It's the reason I go ad-free here and why I hate browsing the web these days. Have you noticed how many more ads there are on your regular websites now? There's money to be made...

13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

... or the reason that Dale’s wife was actualLy talking about the Mazda is that she had picked up on the same Facebook advertising campaign triggering her thoughts and its all perfectly coincidental. Mazda has obviously bought ad time and facebook are maybe targeting family and contact groups.

loopfinding likes this.
  14. John Backlund

I bailed on Facebook early last week, so I managed to break that insidious mind trap, and good riddance.

I was on it for years, but reluctantly joined up after Trixie said that it was a good place to talk about, and promote my Backlund guitars, which it was, but my use of the place gradually widened over time to involve a lot more than just guitars, and eventually just became a big time-waster that provided more aggravation than positive things.

I still have an account there, but I ignore it now, and will let it stagnate to nothingness over time.

I have better things to do.

Pawdog, radiocaster and SRHmusic like this.
  15. John Backlund

They might have, I've recently cut myself free of Facebook.

"Sayeth the Backlund...Nevermore"

16. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

One recent evening, I yelled at our old, stupid dog for peeing on the floor, and then ranting some more to my wife while cleaning up the mess. I believe Alexa was listening, though she didn't say anything.

The next morning, I opened TDPRI on my phone and found an Amazon ad for doggie diapers.

John Backlund likes this.
  17. John Backlund

Seriously?

I wouldn't have an Alexa if they paid me.

Those things just creep me out too much.

E5RSY and nvilletele like this.
  18. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

Ok. I’m gonna type here that I want a Ford F-150. Then I’m gonna say it out loud. Then a few minutes later, I’m gonna say it out loud to my wife. Then, if a Ford F-150 shows up on my Facebook page anytime tonight, I’m throwing this sorcery in a lake

Toadtele and John Backlund like this.
  19. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Left Facebook and went to MeWe. They have a very strict no personal information and AD policy.

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  20. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Yes. It's true.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.