1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Coil tapping two humbuckers

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by profat, Jul 17, 2011.

1. profat

profat TDPRI Member

I have just put the lil 59 in the neck position and I am pleased with the results so far. Interestly the pots in the 52 VHR are 375K! So I decided to leave them untouched for the moment, no coil tap etc, and see if I can live with it as is. So far so good. But I have to say it does lead me to question "when is a tele not a tele anymore?" Have I stepped too far into humbuckerland? Am I can Kansas anymore?

2. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

Fender doesn't think so:

[​IMG]

There are folks who call it blasphemy, but I kind of think the cool thing about Teles is thier versatility. I say go rock your Tele with whatever pickups you want, and then come back and brag about how sweet it sounds. Thats way more fun than worrying about how many magnets you're allowed to have.

3. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

these things with strings are just tools - there is no right or wrong, only yer 'music' matters.

4. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Toooooo Right!

Amen!

5. PaddyWagon

PaddyWagon Tele-Meister

I did wiring on an explorer I pieced together that used push-pull pots to split either humbucker independently, a 59/JB combo. Yes, there's less output when you go to single coil, but it also gave it a wider range of tones to play with.

One thing that's missing in the sound is that amps need to be adjusted for single vs. bucking to get the best out of the pickup, freq curves are all different, power range, etc... Probably the cause of numerous A/B test failures is setting up for a bucker then tapping and claiming it sounds terrible =)

6. Enaitz

Enaitz Tele-Meister

Thanks for the wiring diagram, robt57, I've thinking about that and, specially after hearing this...

... I think I'm gonna take my Strat and change my middle pickup phase switch for a neck and bridge splitting switch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.